• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Remington Ammo Problem

JSDinTexas

.270 WIN
I was getting ready to install my new tac light and when I unloaded my Persuader I found what looked like salt all over the place. On further investigation I found one of the Remington Express Shells had the crimp caved in and this salt-looking stuff was pouring out. I just bought these 2 weeks ago in a 15 rd box. What do you think about this and what is it? I put a "good" rd beside it for comparison. Here are a couple of pics.

[/attachment]

Attachments

• Remington Express 12ga 00 crimp.JPG
    Remington Express 12ga 00 crimp.JPG
    224.8 KB · Views: 221
  • Remington Express 12ga 00 crimp #2.JPG
    Remington Express 12ga 00 crimp #2.JPG
    203.2 KB · Views: 220
It looks like the "shot buffer" material they put in to keep the shot from flattening against each other. Most likely that round got a poor crimp.

Ditto on what Gumby said. (he posted right before I did while I was typing the very thing!) lol

How log was that round in the magazine tube? Was it the round against the follower? It looks distorted as if it was the round against the follower and as if you had several rounds behind it. That scenarior can deform shells, though I've never seen the crimp open up. The "salt" looking stuff, looks like buffering to me.

Rossignol said:
Ditto on what Gumby said. (he posted right before I did while I was typing the very thing!) lol

How log was that round in the magazine tube? Was it the round against the follower? It looks distorted as if it was the round against the follower and as if you had several rounds behind it. That scenarior can deform shells, though I've never seen the crimp open up. The "salt" looking stuff, looks like buffering to me.

Thanks for the comments from you and gumbydammit - they have only been in the gun a week. The first thing I thought was that somehow the follower did this, but I don't know where the shell was positioned in relation to the rest. I reloaded 5 into the mag tube and there was no binding or problems with that. I pulled them out and replaced all with my Federal LE which came in (I was only using the Rem until they did) so guess I will use the Rem as I intended for target practice and stick with the Fed. Thanks again

Yeah, I have been researching a little bit and it seems that Federal makes one of the higher rated shotgun shells for HD. Remington comes in last a lot of times with Winchester in the middle somewhere. I run Federal in my Glocks so know the brand from that standpoint. I also bought some dove rds for next season and chose Fiocchi, which actually was labeled "Texas Dove Shells" so couldn't pass them up. :D

lol, cool! What is a dove round though? What is the shot size and velocity? For pheasant and quail here, we will use either a 7 1/2 or 8 around 1300 FPS, 1200 or 1250...

Oh,ok! Sounds almost just like the Winchester AA ammo I use!

I'll check those out, thats a great price! Thanks!

I've been watching ammunitiontogo.com a bit and seems they have runs of ammo sometimes at good prices. I picked up my Federal Buckshot from them. Brenham TX, where they are, is about halfway between Houston and San Antonio off IH10 - I have to pay sales tax but that's offset by the shipping since I live within 200 miles of them.

Yup! I get on their site often! Thats where I got much of the ammo I recently bought. They usually have the best prices around I think.

Back