• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Remington Core-Lokt 170 Grn. Hollow Point 30-30

I recently bought a box of 30-30 ammo mistaking it for my usual Remington Core-Lokt Soft Point. After I got home I realized it was Remington Core-Lokt 170 Grn. Hollow Point.

I know the Core-Lokt Soft Points in 150 and 170 grain stop them in their tracks with really good penetration and massive wound canal. I mistakenly bought these Hollow Points for use on Wild Boar here in Florida. I'm just wondering if the pigs hair and thick gristle might plug up the hollow point causing it to act like a solid. Does anyone here have any first hand experience using these on game?

Your .30-30 Rifle is a lever gun, correct? I doubt the point would risk primer ignition during recoil with that bullet nose profile.

I don't have personal experience with that factory load. Probably very few people in North America actually do shoot that bullet. I think it's best suited for light skinned game like whitetail deer.

But hogs running under 300-lbs should fall to that bullet just as effectively as a soft point. Either your shot is well placed, or it's not. The extra 3/8" of expansion from a JSP or JHP won't be as crucial as is your steady hand and knowledge of pig anatomy.

If it doesn't expand it'll just act like the soft point you normally use. I've seen many medium sized hogs (200-350lbs) taken with 357 and 44mag HP's through lever guns.

nitesite said:
Your .30-30 Rifle is a lever gun, correct? I doubt the point would risk primer ignition during recoil with that bullet nose profile.

I don't have personal experience with that factory load. Probably very few people in North America actually do shoot that bullet. I think it's best suited for light skinned game like whitetail deer.

But hogs running under 300-lbs should fall to that bullet just as effectively as a soft point. Either your shot is well placed, or it's not. The extra 3/8" of expansion from a JSP or JHP won't be as crucial as is your steady hand and knowledge of pig anatomy.

Yes its a Marlin 336cs. Think I'll save these Hollow Points for deer. Thanks for input.

yz9890 said:
If it doesn't expand it'll just act like the soft point you normally use. I've seen many medium sized hogs (200-350lbs) taken with 357 and 44mag HP's through lever guns.

I've taken a few pigs with a 4" 357 mag. Most head shots and one front heart lung shot. All ended quickly. I was using Remington 125grn semi-jacketed softpoints. The 44 & 357 lever guns are really handy.

Back