• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Remington TAC-14 in 20ga. Will Mossberg follow?

:laugh::laugh::laugh: Mark, I'm 70 years old. I reckon our enthusiasm for the Shockwave is one of the things that keeps us young. I read our comments to my wife, and after much laughter, she said you and I are crazy.:crazy::crazy:
Let's take that as a compliment.:cheers:

I totally agree with your wife. She is a wise woman.

I don't know but I don't think Mossberg would change the manufacturing process for steel over aluminum. We'll have to wait for Craig Arnold (post #29) to get his 20ga so he can test the receiver with a magnet.

My FFL is suppose to receive my 20ga Shockwave on Friday. I don't think that I will be able to actually pick it up until Monday. I'll check it as soon as I have it in hand. However, based on the published weight, I am almost certain that it will be made like all the Mossberg 500s and 590s, with an aluminum receiver.

Best regards

Got my 20ga Shockwave a day early. Overall, it looks really good. Here's a picture of my two Shockwaves.

b6i3cCh.jpg

Here's the muzzle end of both. The 20ga has a heavy wall barrel just like the 12ga.

iRmWICW.jpg

Picture of the "590 20ga"

U3Y5Nma.jpg

This is the 20ga Shockwave with my 20ga 500

UVcG6yF.jpg

I have a Talon grip and a ProMag safety on the way for the 20ga., which I already have on my 12ga. Once I receive the Big Dot front sight I'll put it on the 12ga. If I like it enough, I'll order another one for the 20ga. Then who knows if I'll stop at at that or continue adding things.

Best regards

Sorry I forgot to add that the receiver on the 20ga Shockwave is aluminum just like the 12ga. I haven't had a chance to weigh them both yet, but I believe the 20ga feels just a very slight bit lighter.

Best regards

Congratulations Craig on the new 20 gauge, and thanks for some very nice pictures.
We look forward to seeing any changes you make.
Please post the pictures of both Shockwaves in the "Shockwave Photos" link.
Being the first on this forum to have the 12ga and the 20ga must make you the "leader of the pack". So, here is a silly tribute to you sir.:thumbsup:
(Where will your loyalty be....20ga or 12ga)?

Thank you Rico. As far as loyalty to the 12 or 20ga goes. Not really sure yet until I shoot them side by side. The 12ga is no problem for me to shoot. Obviously, it has the advantage of more shell options and more power. However, under the right circumstances, the 20ga may be all you need. It certainly should be a pussycat to shoot. In the end, I might just say...both. ;)

Thank you Rico. As far as loyalty to the 12 or 20ga goes. Not really sure yet until I shoot them side by side. The 12ga is no problem for me to shoot. Obviously, it has the advantage of more shell options and more power. However, under the right circumstances, the 20ga may be all you need. It certainly should be a pussycat to shoot. In the end, I might just say...both. ;)

Congrats and enjoy!
Even though I can`t find much 00 for the 20 there are some other fine choices for HD. Federal and Winchester both make a #3 buck that performs well in close quarters and Spartan makes a #1 buck that also patterns nicely.

100_5028.JPG

Thanks Elbert for the info on the HD 20gauge loads. I do have some HD 20 gauge around here somewhere, I just don't remember what or where they are. I'll have to dig them out and exercise the 20ga Shockwave.

I just got my Talon grip and ProMag safety in the mail today. I also made another leather strap. So the 20ga Shockwave will be getting some goodies.

Best regards.

I called my legs today and I was quoted a price of $385 out the door. That includes tax. It's a good price when you consider $30 for shipping and $25 for the transfer. That leaves a web price of about $330 to match the out the door price.

I've ordered it but it's out of stock right now. It'll be in soon.

Question: What is the barrel diameter for the Shockwave 20ga heavy barrel and for the Mossberg 500 thin barrel? I'm wondering if the heat shield for the 500/590 thin barrel will fit the Shockwave 20ga heavy barrel.

I went to a local gun store today to seek out a Shockwave. Wouldn't you know it, they had exactly one and it was spoken for. They did take it out of the box and let me hold it a minute or two. I liked it!! I will definitely be getting one.

Joe

OK, I bit the bullet and I picked up my new 20ga Shockwave yesterday. I really like this 20ga model. It weighed 5.1 pounds, as shipped, on my bathroom scale. It handles very easily, like the 12ga. I like the looks with the smaller barrel and mag tube. You need to know that I have always liked the 20g shotgun. My best bird gun was a Richland 707, side-by-side 20ga magnum with 26" imp. cyl/modified barrels. It was the lightest and fastest pointing shotgun I owned.

I won't get a chance to fire the 20ga for a while.

I cleaned the 20ga today and I noticed a potential problem. One of the pins in the plastic trigger group had an elongated hole on on side. It also appears that some of the other pins are not fully and evenly installed. The trigger appears to operate properly but that hole is unacceptable. I'll give Mossberg a call tomorrow to have it replaced.

100_0425 (Small).JPG

100_0428 (Small).JPG

Last edited:
Back