• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Reminiscing on the AR-180

swsabre

Supporter
A thread elsewhere in the forum about guns you want to like got me thinking about my brief encounter with an AR-180.

Along about 25 years ago, when I was young (and poor) I bought an Armalite AR-180 from a co-worker for, IIRC, $175. At the time there was no way I could swing an AR-15 so this was my way into the tactical rifle world, And, with it's removable mags, aperture sight, matte black finish and side folding stock, it was indeed (to my eyes) tacticool.

Only problem was the gas cylinder was broken in half, so I had a local gunsmith search around until he could find a replacement. Once repaired, I took it out to a remote desert spot where I could safely see what it could do. We had a big grapefruit tree in our yard at the time, so I had a ready supply of round yellow targets. My wife stood behind and off to one side and proceeded to throw grapefruit in front of me to shoot at.

All was well for a few shots. Then the sear notch sheared off the hammer and the AR-180 was suddenly a rocking & rolling full auto rifle. Scared the crap out of me as I was not prepared to empty a 20 round mag full auto :eek:

I had the hammer replaced and traded it to the gunsmith on an SKS (got some cash too) - but you know after all these years I still remember how much I really wanted to like that little rifle.

Great story.

The AR-18/180 was a really cool design and it's crazy it took so long for piston driven AR rifles to become more popular...

DND guns had a transferable AR180 a while back for a really good price. It sat there for months with the pricetag of around $8400 if I remember correctly.

As soon as I saw this thread, I had to look.

Not because I'm an afficianado by any stretch, but because I had never heard of an AR180 or an AR 18.

Lil wiki search and there she was!! Cool looking piece of hardware! The overall lines remind me of FN FAL. Which as John A. knows only too well is a serious drooling point for me!

I'm gonna go out on a limb here without looking up the regs but I'd guess if the AR 18 had select fire capable variants (which I'd assume it does) it would be a restricted weapon here if not prohibited. Which would lend to relative obscurity.

Thanks for posting up something entirely new to me!!

Back