• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Remove Choke from Turkey Thug ?

Lefty9

.270 WIN
Let me ask you fellers : if I remove the choke thats screwed on to the muzzle of my SA-20 Mossberg Turkey Thug , would it then be a cylinder choke and would I then be able to shoot slugs thru it ?

Never shoot with the choke removed. Yes it is cyl bore but you will ruin the choke threads and possibly bad things could happen.

You can buy a cyl choke or some other more open choke to do what you want.

Well heck - Thanks MikeD !
I will just get me a cyl choke for it ........then I can shoot slugs ?

Yes, pretty much anything but full and you should be good to go.

Many prefer Improved Cylinder over open. You will have to experiment with your gun as each one is a little different.

NEVER shoot ANYTHING out of a barrel with choke threads with no choke installed. Doing so will damage the bare threads and probably affect accuracy.

I picked up a skeet choke for The Thug. Was $12 inc. S/H off Gunbroker. They usually run $15-$20. I did this to "save" the vented turkey choke that came with it for when and if I ever use it to hunt turkey. Skeet is one size smaller in dia. than cylinder. Turkey is the tightest there is and not suitable for slugs or steel shot. I think you can go down to IC or Mod. with slugs no problem but you shouldn't go tighter than that.

The SA-20 takes Benelli/Beretta "Mobil" chokes by the way but NOT the "Crio" style... PS: and make sure you are ordering/buying 20ga chokes and not 12ga... :rolleyes: ;)

BTW, Welcome Aboard, Lefty! :)

Last edited:
Bobster is right as usual. IC is OK, modified in a pinch Trulock told me. Nothing tighter and never open threads.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

are I.C and skeet cokes the same ?

....lazy me ...i searched and answered my own question :
skeet is .005 ( degree of constriction) and I.C is double that , or .010

Last edited:
Back