• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Removing The MMR Hunter Handguard

Welcome aboard!

Some free float handguards are secured to the barrel nut via a a series of screws. The MMR factory forend is likely threaded directly onto the barrel nut. Here's a video that'll show you the general idea. Fast forward to about 5:15 to see how the handguard threads on...

Brownells: Installing A Free Float Handguard

Removing the handguard is going to be very difficult without a vise and a decent upper receiver vise block. You will also need a free-float barrel nut wrench for removing/replacing the barrel nut. Not sure if your new forend comes with a replacement barrel nut and shims for proper gas tube alignment, but they may be required as well. If you don't have the necessary tools, it may be worth calling a local gunsmith to see what they'd charge for the job...

Hey, I'm new here too. Just bought me an MMR Hunter last month myself, I love the gun. So far I've only got to run about 40rds thought it, in the freezing cold cuz I had to shoot it, and its great. It is my first AR and I was looking for info as well when I stumbled into here. charliehustle8, did you ever have any luck removing the handguard? I am wanting to dress mine up too and am not sure how to remove it. The guy at the gun store said that he thought it was pressed onto a series of nuts that attach to the barrel nut..... IDK.?! Any advise??

Welcome aboard Mac.

Do you have any pics of the receiver end of the handguard where it attaches to the barrel nut?

Ok Lazy eyed Sniper, I think I got the images to up load I will hit summit and see what happens. Any advice/knowledge you can offer will be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 1,759
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 1,752
The most awesome AR ever.

It's like the amazing spider man

LOL

I don't have any hands on with the MMR, but it looks like it just screws on.

Get a buddy to hold the receiver, get some heat on the barrel nut area and turn the hand guard counter clockwise with a strap wrench.

IMO the handguard on the rifle in the picture is already cool as hell, but I like a simpler look and feel

Thanks guys for all of the advice, I appreciate it. oli700, I like the handguard that is on it too, but just want to know that I have the option of removing it for add-ons without needing a machine shop to do so.

Yeah, there are slots that are about 3" long where I can mount small sections of picatiny rails. But I'm finding out that you have to remove the handguard to install them, because there is not enough room to get a tool between the barrel and the guard mounted.

Don't want to speak for MacMan, but it looks to me like a UTG Universal Shooter's bipod.

I think I still have one layin around here somewhere. It's a pretty good bipod for the price...

There is likely a good amount of locking compound on the barrel nut threads.

Many manufacturers use blue Loctite. A heat gun will do wonders to help loosen it up and securing the upper receiver in a vise will make things a LOT easier...

Back