• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Renishing an old rifle stock

Mark T.

.22LR
I know this probably has been asked a dozen times before and there's scores of websites out there that give you exact details on how to do it and what to use but I think my question is a little different....

I have and old Mossberg rifle (1950) that I want to cleanup a bit. It's in good shape, no cracks, chips, gouges or other defects. What it is dirty! It has 60+ years of dirt, grease and grime just from normal use. It also has some type of spots (stains?) on it. I don't know what that is.

Here's what I DON'T want to do - strip it down to bare wood and start over. It's in to good of shape for that.
What I'd like to do is remove all of the above mentioned dirt, etc but leave the original stain. I was thinking of using Formbys Furniture Refinisher or Formbys Built-Up Remover. The refinisher says it removes everything but leaves the original stain. The built-up remover says it removes dirt, pollutants and wax. I'd use a fine mesh srubby pad. Then apply a light coat of Tru-Oil or ???

I'd appreciate any suggestions or if you think this is a good way to go.

Keep in mind that this isn't a family heirloom (at least not my family) and I don't believe it has any historical significance. I'm just trying to make a great old gun look a little better.

Thanks for your time.

Vr
Mark T.

Sounds like it just needs a good cleaning. I have no idea what that would take but we have people on here who do know. I'm sure they'll be around! :)

I use simple green to clean the stocks. And hoppes 9 to clean the metal.
After the stock is clean and grease free and dry, use some 0000 steel wool to lightly sand the finish. Then you can use truoil. Just use a finger or two to apply the truoil, you dont want it all over your hands. (Or some surgical gloves is good) You can clean your hands after with dawn soap and very warm water.
You let it dry for 24 hours in between coats. The final coat , I mix a 50/50 truoil and mineral spirits. You can start with a 2:1 % of truoil / ms and thin it more if you want to add more coats to make it real smooth n shiny.

1-1st coat, rub it in real good by hand. Let it dry.
2- lightly sand with 0000 steel wool, remove the left over particles with a lint free rag.
3- 2 or more coats of truoil. Depends on how good you wanna do it.
In between coats sand with the steel wool to remove bumps and streaks.
4- final coat with mixed potion.
5- wax it....carnuba car wax will work...

Take pix of the process, and post em here if you like.
We all love to watch....

I use simple green to clean the stocks. And hoppes 9 to clean the metal.
After the stock is clean and grease free and dry, use some 0000 steel wool to lightly sand the finish. Then you can use truoil. Just use a finger or two to apply the truoil, you dont want it all over your hands. (Or some surgical gloves is good) You can clean your hands after with dawn soap and very warm water.
You let it dry for 24 hours in between coats. The final coat , I mix a 50/50 truoil and mineral spirits. You can start with a 2:1 % of truoil / ms and thin it more if you want to add more coats to make it real smooth n shiny.

1-1st coat, rub it in real good by hand. Let it dry.
2- lightly sand with 0000 steel wool, remove the left over particles with a lint free rag.
3- 2 or more coats of truoil. Depends on how good you wanna do it.
In between coats sand with the steel wool to remove bumps and streaks.
4- final coat with mixed potion.
5- wax it....carnuba car wax will work...

Take pix of the process, and post em here if you like.
We all love to watch....

That sounds like a great plan. Thanks for all the details. I've used simple green on other things and it's a nice way to go. I suck as a photographer but I'll do my best.

Mark T.

I use murphy's oil soap.

It's more of a cleaner than a furniture polish.

It won't remove stains though.

Only sanding will do that. And if it's really deep, you'd do more harm than good if you're not going to do a refinish.

The 870 that I recently bought has an annoying stain about an inch tall and 1/4 inch wide. Bugs me, but it's an old stock. Things happen.

The Murphy's oil soap won't harm the finish. Use away.

Sand it, then choose a stain to mask it....

Hello All,

Well, I knida sorta followed ripjack’s suggestion.

Looking at the stock I realized it wasn’t in as bad a shape (dirty) as I said. I didn’t remove ALL the parts from it. I’d read too many horror stories on potential problems with re-assembly. I did remove the butt plate and trigger guard. I figured I couldn’t mess that up on putting them back.

Here’s what I did:
I sprayed the stock with simple green, let it set for a few minutes then scrubbed it with a green nylon scrub pad. I wasn’t happy with that so I repeated it. It looked better but know I discovered places where the original finish was still there. Don’t know if it was BLO or varnish or what. Hard to tell what the factory used 65+ years ago.
I thought about my next step. I wanted to remove all the old finish but still leave the stain. So, I found this. Watco Rejuvenating Oil. I guess it’s like Formbys Furniture Refinisher. I like Watco products as I’ve used them in the past with good results.
I followed the directions. Applied it, let it set 10 minutes then scrubbed it with 0000 steel wool. I wiped it down with a clean rag It worked great but still a few spots left with finish. I repeated the process and it came out fantastic. I love this stuff. It came out with a beautiful satin finish. Not shiny but just a mellow glow like old hand worn wood.
At this point I debated on just leaving it alone as it looked so good but…. I don’t know how well it would be protected from moisture. So, I hand rubbed in 1 coat of Tru-Oil, let it dry for approx..24 hours then went over it with 0000 steel wool. I wiped it down with a clean rag. I don’t want it shiny like the Remington finish or dull like an old military rifle. Somewhere in between I guess. It came out beautiful. Not too shiny. Just a warm satiny glow that I love on my firearms.
Here’s some pictures I took. Sorry they aren’t a better quality but hopefully they show my process. I’m sure more experienced people would have done a better job and followed a different process but I’m happy with the outcome. It worked for me. I appreciate all the help. Even though I didn’t follow the suggestions exactly it got me thinking and pointed in the right direction. Thanks to all.

Some Pictures

Before

refinish #1.jpg

refinish #2.jpg

After Refinishing
refinish #4.jpg

refinish #5.jpg

I know it doesn't look very different then before I started but keep in mind I didn't strip it down to bare wood. I basically only cleaned it. Also, as I had said in the beginning I suck as a photographer. It really does look better in person then the pictures show.

Again, thanks to all for your help.

Take Care.

Vr
Mark T.

That looks REALLY nice.

I've never heard of Formby's before. But I'll try to remember to pick up a bottle if I ever run across any.

I judge no one. Follow or not. It's all ok with me....at least you know how , now. That certainly looks much, much better than before. Nicely done sir...

This one I did a while back for a buddy of mine. I stripped it down to bare wood though, then stained it, and used a bunch of tru oil on it....

NCM_1181.JPG

NCM_1175.JPG

NCM_1180.JPG

I love the grain on the monte carlo cheek rest portion of the wood.

This one I did a while back for a buddy of mine. I stripped it down to bare wood though, then stained it, and used a bunch of tru oil on it....

View attachment 15553

View attachment 15554

View attachment 15555

Yes I saw this one before and it looks great! I hesitated in posting pictures of what I had done as it pales by comparison to yours but then I thought. It's good to show all aspects of refinishes. Ones you take it down to bare wood and ones you just clean. Beautiful job on yours though.

Mark T.

I know how hard it is to work on wood. Sometimes it has a mind of its' own. Whether cleaning or refinishing.

I respect anyone who takes the time to do a good job trying to preserve our history and heritage.

Man, I dig it! I don't mess with wood at all, it just seems beyond my comprehension. I really enjoy how wood looks, I like the grain and figure, but personally I've never been any decent at finishing.

... I hesitated in posting pictures of what I had done as it pales by comparison to yours but then I thought. It's good to show all aspects of refinishes. ...
Mark, great job on the wood and the photos. You have nothing to be embarrassed about. This was a great presentation!
:yourock:

Yes I saw this one before and it looks great! I hesitated in posting pictures of what I had done as it pales by comparison to yours but then I thought. It's good to show all aspects of refinishes. Ones you take it down to bare wood and ones you just clean. Beautiful job on yours though.

Mark T.

That one was tough to finish. The front part of the stock after the band was not the same as the back part. 2 different colors and differnt grain direction. I almost stained it black....but said no, keep trying.
Keep trying to do a good job and you'll be good at it. Yours came out great. Sometimes just a good cleaning is all it takes.
I try to do as much woodwork as I can. Sometimes freebies just so I can try it and see if I can do it. It's a hobby for me. And I love wood. So it works for me.

Great job....

Back