• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

RESOLVED: Very stiff action

Joshua Weeks

Copper BB
I have a 930 I bought used. I received the firearm disassembled. After I assembled the firearm, I noticed there was considerable friction in the action when I went to lock to bolt to the rear. I can manipulate the charging handle to lock the bolt to the rear but it is very stiff and feels like there may be a partial obstruction in the internals that make it feel the way it does. The other part of the issue is that when I press the bolt release, it does not allow the bolt to return forward. I have to press the bolt release and manually manipulate the charging handle forward with some jiggling for it to close the entire way.

Has anyone else had this issue?

I have resolved the issue on my 930. Turns out the side saddle that was installed was the issue. There are two screws that replace the pins that hold the trigger assembly in place. The screws screw into a metal plate on the other side of the shotgun to mount a side saddle to it. The screws were much too tight and after some loosening, I was able to rack the bolt to the rear and press the bolt release to close it. I did place some lock-tite around the interior rim of the metal plate to prevent the screws from backing out but still allowing the bolt to cycle properly.

Bolt-on sidesaddles are never really a good idea. Here are a couple of alternatives that are both excellent, but at opposite ends of the cost spectrum:

Brown Coat Tactical. Excellent quality, and very affordable.
https://www.browncoattactical.com/product-p/h-shell.htm

Aridus. Premium, in every sense of the word. You'll only have to buy once, and if you're a heavy-use shotgunner, it could be the most reasonable option, as their carriers won't fray, get snagged or cut, as elastic and nylon can.
https://www.aridusindustries.com/product-category/qdc/

I only use the bolt on side saddles. I never trusted the glue on Velcro to hold up long term.

But thanks for sharing so I know not to torque them down too hard. I didn't know that would be an issue.

If there existed a steel receiver to my 590A1 i would buy it immediately, because i dont like small things to affect my weapons functionality... like a side saddle :)

Back