• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Rethinking my purchase of my 590A1

frankb

Not long ago I purchased a new 590 A1 and added an S&J Hardware +2 extension and changed the Speed Feed stock with a 12" reduced reach stock from Hogue. I am not sure I made the right move now. It seems the weight of the shotgun makes it difficult for my wife to handle. I found out that she likes the Stoeger Double Barrel Coach Gun. Looks like I may be having to talk to my dealer about a trade in now!
I got to shoot it 12 times, and the wife got to shoot it 6. Very frustrated now.

What was the purpose of the shotgun?

Have you taken the +2 extension off and used it with the stock end cap to see if the weight is more balanced?

I did but it seems she has it in her head that it's too heavy for her. Thinking about it, I may need to go with an exposed double hammer so the barrel drops open faster and closes easier for her. If I was to get her a Stoeger, it would be harder for her to close and open it with the auto cocker in it.

Maybe if I just put the Mossberg back to stock, I can sell off the extras easier then leaving it all on it and finding a buyer for it all. It has been so hard to find something to keep her happy. Had same problem with the hand guns until I got the right combo for her. Took a few tries.

Tough decisions. My wife handles the 590A1 fairly well. Had the 12" LOP Hogue stock on it with a limbsaver recoil reducer on it.

Strange thing is wife has no problem with recoil of the shotgun. It's the overall weight and trying to hold it up long enough to get to her shoulder and pulling the trigger before the weight pulls it back down on her. I think I was not thinking at all when I chose the 590A1 because of the heavier barrel.

Frank maybe the 20g might be a better weight for her to handle. I got my wife a 500 in 20g with the 28" barrel and it seems to be Pretty good for her to shoot as opposed to my 590.

@Watermonkey
Nice video. Love the 3" magnums. But I'll only shoot a box of 5 at any given trip out. Kicks like a MF. Lol.

Before you do anything drastic, make a trip to Walmart and get a Butt Stock Shell Holder (link).

Adding a few shells to the buttstock obviously won't make it any lighter, but it will improve the balance and make it "feel" lighter.

You might also point out that the weight will help keep the shotgun from beating her up when she pulls the trigger. ;)

I do have the sleeve that fits on the butt and holds I think 6 rounds. That only made it worse for the weight. I have tried it all so far short of a lighter barrel. If I do that, what is sense of having the 590??????????

I know this is going to be very hard to believe or accept but, I really have enough guns and don't need another in the safe. If I am not going to use it on regular basis, or at least shoot it once a week I do not want to keep it. I have had so many different types and calibers to last me a lifetime. I rely on my 4 Glocks for concealed carry and in my vehicles. I have my one favorite .22 for dispatching little varmints and my .30-30 just in case I ever want to go back to deer hunting. I have given up all my others that I have collected over the years and now have only what means anything to me.

Remington used to make a 20ga 870 Wingmaster "lite" with reduced size receiver and mag tube. Maybe an option?

Gauge is not a problem for either of us. The wife can shoot a 12 with no problem at all. It's the total weight of the shotgun itself she has trouble holding up long enough. As far as a Remington, I love them but I went back to a Mossberg because I am left handed and the Moss has the top tang safety which is great for either one of us. I think the 12 gauge coach gun with 20" barrels and exposed hammers will solve the problem of weight as well as the left-right handed safety issue. With only two shells in the shotgun, we do not have all the added weight of the extra rounds. I know I can down load to only two or three shells in the Moss, but that does not eliminate the additional weight of the tube, heavy wall barrel and internals of a pump. This is why I say it's very confusing to me right now especially after just buying the Moss a couple months ago and only shooting it less then a couple dozen times.
Wife wants something she can clear out the snake problem we have along with the pesky squirrels and coons that like the chew on wires around here.
I will hang on to the Moss until maybe I can come up to a nice fair trade that will make everyone happy.

Here is a suggestion.

Take your wife to the gun shop. Tell her to shoulder anything that interests her and let her pick it out. That way she gets what she wants, can handle, and she's happy.

If she is only after the occasional raccoon or squirrel, a single shot break down would work perfectly for that. Your choice of caliber, even a 410 will work if you're not trying to shoot from 10 miles away.

I agree with you John, but getting her to go into a gun shop to shoulder different types of guns is like her getting me to go "shoe" shopping with her!
I want the 12 gauge in the house for both of us to have on hand when needed. I can deal with whatever she decides to keep in the end. Matters not to me as long as it goes bang when one of us pulls the trigger. As I stated before, I have my choice of daily carry and take no offense what others carry or if they even decide to carry at all. When it comes to my wife and being in the house alone I want her to feel confident that she can get the task on hand completed when I am not there.
When I got the 590A1, it was not really with her in mind at that time. She told me that whatever I had in the house she would use when needed so I got the one I wanted not realizing that it might be too heavy for her. I had no worry about the LOP because I already knew I was going to get the 12" stock from Hogue and figured that would be even better for her to use. I was not figuring on the weight being too much for her. Now I feel bad about it and am willing to ditch the 590A1 and just go with the double barrel coach gun. I will not change as far as the 12 gauge goes. That one she will live with and has no problem shooting.

I had a chance to stop in at a Gander Mountain while out shopping with the wife and had her look at a Coach Gun in 12 gauge. Her reaction to the shotgun was favorable. Wife tells me she can handle the smaller shotgun with the less weight to it. I got in touch with LGS but they were not really interested in doing any sort of trade with me that would be fair seeing that I just put on the 12" Hogue stock and the +2 extension from S&J Hardware. I would have to take those items off and put the gun back to stock and be stuck with the extra items and still take a big hit on the price of the 590A1.
Maybe if I list it in the forum marketplace, I may get lucky and find a local to do a FTF. Can I list the extra stock as well as the +2 extension as part of the shotgun sale and give option to sell off those items separate or do I need to list the extras as accessories in the other section?

Tough decisions. My wife handles the 590A1 fairly well. Had the 12" LOP Hogue stock on it with a limbsaver recoil reducer on it.

My M500 Pursuader with factory bead sight shoots slugs hi and left as well. Check out my thread "high and left".

Back