• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Retro Colt Coming Out

carbinemike

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
"Philanthropist"
At the SHOT show today, Colt rolled out a retro from the 1960's. I don't see buying one but I do like it a lot. Oh yeah...MSRP is a pricey $2500.

First Impression: Colt’s new Retro M16A1 Reissue
45ea9e2693aa4976c743d1830fd32386
Timothy Yan AR-15, Colt, Colt Classic, M16A1, M16A1 Reissue 0 Comment November 28, 2016
Tweet
Pin it
Gunsite, Az, at the Colt Media Event, Colt unveiled the finished version of their new M16A1 retro build named the Colt M16A1 Reissue. We were lucky to get a sneak peek of the Colt M16A1 Reissue back in May 2016 during the NRA Annual Meeting in Kentucky. The retro rifle is built from with original Colt furniture, new manufactured receiver set and new barrel. The Colt M16A1 Reissue should be available in early 2017, if not sooner.
retro_m16a1_02.jpg

Like the original version, the new Colt M16A1 Reissue will feature a pencil-profile chrome-lined barrel with 1:12 twist rate, and the muzzle is sporting a 3-pronged flash hider. At the Gunsite range, the Colt M16A1 Reissue shot great with very minimal recoil, just like the original.
retro_m16a1_03.jpg

Both the upper and lower receivers are built to the original A1 specifications. The fore-end is an original Triangular handguard with non-taper slip-ring. The last time that I handled a real M16A1 was back in the 1990s during my days at the Engineer School at Courthouse Bay, Camp Lejeune. We were using beat-up Vietnam left-over M16A1 for training. I guess at the time it was cheaper to do that than acquiring new rubber M16A2 dummy training rifle. Being frugal is the Marine Corps way then and now.
retro_m16a1_04.jpg

The Colt M16A1 Reissue has tear-drop forward assist and lacks the brass deflector found on the later M16 models. The butt stock is also the original M16A1 production unit, and the package comes with a 20-round Vietnam War style straight-body aluminum USGI magazine.
retro_m16a1_05.jpg

The markings on the right side of the Colt M16A1 Reissue lower receiver will even have the factory rollmark that says “Property of the US Govt” in addition to the classic Colt logo. On the selector, the “AUTO” marking is purely decorative as the Colt M16A1 Reissue is semi-auto only. I found the smaller A1 pistol grip minus the annoying finger notch of the A2 grip, is more comfortable to the hand.
retro_m16a1_06.jpg

With a target audience being collectors, the Colt M16A1 Reissue is about as original as you can get for a Retro M16A1 build. However, it will cost $2499 MSRP due to being a limited production item.

MSRP is pretty pricey.

Even with an aluminum stock on the Car.

That's over four times what I paid for my AR.

It must be pretty nice.

Back