• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

rifle mounted night lighting

dieselmudder

.30-06
Elite Member
"Philanthropist"
I think this is the appropriate section, im having problems with coyotes coming up near the house at night, just saw 3 at about 4 this morning. I know my savage 22-250 is a choice weapon, I really like what im reading about the streamlight TLR 1 game spotter., my dilemma, I would like to find some type of rail I can mount using my forward sling stud (and possibly adding another anchor point if needed) to mount the TLR to. the stock is factory Savage composite. and I have a bipod and sling mounted. my .308 already has 2 sling studs, this gun only one. anyone have any suggestions, a short two bolt universal rail would work I would probably have to make some modifications but that's not a problem. thanks guys.

first I would have to say check with your local regs before even attempting to mount a light as in many places it is not legal to have lights mounted to weapons like this and could land you in some hot water

but I would think the accessory light clamps that they make for tactical shotguns would work well on this and they bolt on simply by turning a wing nut or small bolt

might even be a better idea to set some traps for the critters

I don't want to clamp anything to the barrel. Ive been browsing just for a short universal mount pic rail. But I'm also considering one that clamps to the scope. May be better with the light above instead of below.

Yeah. So does the price. Lol. I'll start with somethin 1/3 the price, if I really get serious about night spotting and hunting I'll definitely look into it though. Right now I just gotta defend my chickens.

I actually did that with my .22 mag. Zip tied a 4D to the stock. Worked well just heavy. Shot one that way.

I know this is an old topic, but was wondering what you came up with.

I've seen some mounts that will even mount above a scope. I've been looking cause we have chickens and coyotes too, I recently lost my favorite rooster.

I've been thinking of getting a bolt rifle and have been looking for lighting solutions too

This
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K71Z6TM?psc=1

Plus this:
http://www.amazon.com/Rayovac-DIY2AACAMO-B-Indestructible-Flashlight-Batteries/dp/B00HWL5DHU/ref=sr_1_3?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1426387478&sr=1-3&keywords=rayovac indestructible light

(you'll have to make a few passes around the flashlight body with some black tape to make it a little fatter because it's a little smaller than 1 inch in diameter to make up the difference) but it's no big deal.

I am using those lights exclusively these days on all of my serious guns. For the price, they're awesome.

Or set up a street light around your coop and wait until the yotes are in visible with your eyes and BLAM.

Ill ask another thing here.

I've heard to use red lights for dogs at night, any truth to that?

They're going to see it anyway. White, red, doesn't matter.

That's why I recommended a street light so maybe you can not attract any attention to yourself from them.

Have you considered a cage? It would be on duty whether you were home or not.

But you'd have to make it look more like a hiding spot than a cage. And use bait. The stinkier the better.

I've thought about traps, I'm afraid of accidentally getting deer though, so maybe cages could work.

As far as the original thread, the light on the Savage never materialised. Ive since got an AR. and a TLR 1S provides adequate light within my property boundaries.

NiteSite, I may try what's called dog proof traps or leg traps, I have those options available. If I come up with anything else ill let you all here know first!

Back