• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Rifle/Shotgun Recommendations and Advice...

I will own one, but yea. They're not super hard to come by used, finding a new one that's not marked sky high is another story though.

Re: which one should i get?

Did you get it did you get it did you get it?!!!

Oh yeah! Didja didja didja????

Crap...I forgot to get get pix of it......

Pics or it didn't happen. ;)

I'll be able to post some on Sunday......

LES,
Interesting info on the AR10 and M1A magazines being somewhat interchangeable. I didn't know that. I have owned and shot both the AR10 and M1A/M14...

I thought both were great rifles, and yet I went with the M1A...I dunno, there is something about wood and steel that calls to me. I really think that is/was the deciding factor...

Somewhere down the line I will be picking up a Ruger Gunsite scout...for a same caliber bolt action rifle to go with the M1A.

Though have to say the Savage 11/111 Hog hunter in .308 also looks promising...

Ya know... That Savage is lookin pretty sweet for a bolt gun. I especially like that it has irons!

k9n4A478j_8P0556tI1.png

Ok, a couple things of note on the Savage.

Firstly the irons are LPA sights! Big bonus there!

Also, im confused. I think, I think the 11/111 is a short action model? Anyone know cuz I cant find definitive info on it. It seems, if Im understanding Savage's nomenclature, if it is "xx/xxx" its a short action and "xxx" is long action?

.308 will always be short action.

It has to do with the overall length of the cartridge. Rifles chambered for .30-06, .300 win mag, .338, etc are all long-action calibers...

Ah-ha! Man, youre helpful and a wealth of knowledge, you know it?! :D

Ok, its a top loading magazine, short action. No DBM. Adjustable trigger and LPA sights which retail for the front and rear at around $130 for the set if I found the right ones. The 20" barrel is also threaded for a brake/flash supressor...

Buds has the rifle for 4 and a quarter,
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/.../Savage+Centerfire/Savage 11 HOG HNTR 308 TB/

and its gettin good reviews on a few sites... no one unhappy with it and it seems plenty accurate enough, even 1 MOA at 300 from one review. I know that isnt sniper like or even LES like
precision, but for the price and from a 20" barrel, that isnt bad at all!

I'm really likin it and when it comes time (maybe way way WAY down the road) to get another rifle, and a bolt gun this time, its gonna be the Savage! i think... you know how that goes!!! :lol:

That I do Sir,

Always here to help where I can and I'm a much better typist that I am a shot! The Savage looks like a formidiale weapon to me. I actually prefer a 20" barrel. Any loss of accuracy compared to a longer barrel is negligible, but the gain in maneuverability is well worth the trade-off...

I can see putting a bird cage or muzzle break on a the savage, 1/111 Hoghunter or possibly a can. I think as a quasi scout rifle it has some potential. Not a scout rifle in the true sense of the term, yet still fairly compact, and for a whole lot less money than what I'm getting ready to spend on a Ruger GSS.

I like my M1A it just the way it is...A classic old school battle rifle, it has everything it needs and nothing it doesn't. Though, there is an aluminum aftermarket stock available that can really update the platform to a more modern style battle rifle (rails).

1911's and M1A's, thats like bread and butter...LOL

Gunner, I agreee about the bread and butter!!! :D

The M1A is way high up on the list, well the list that requires lotsa $$$! The Savage is pretty high up on list based in reality that still requires $$$, just at a pace I can maybe afford in the nearer future! :lol:

Question on .308 Win vs. 7.62 NATO;
Are the two interchangable in the way .223 Rem and 5.56 NATO are? Like, if the barrel is stamped 7.62, can you use the .308, but stamped .308 means .308 only?

Follow? :D

It is a good read... and if i understand, its actually opposite the issue of the .223 vs. 5.56?

Though I'm thinkin the best bet is to just stick with what the gun is chambered... no rush anyhow, I wont be lookin to buy another gun for some time yet! So I have time to become more familiar with the rounds in question! :D I like learnin ammo anyhow!

Thanks for the link Sneaky!

obeekaybee...here dey bee....

GWuAnl.jpg

^^^ When it was just outa the box spanking new!!

M8dCGl.jpg

mFnNUl.jpg

twl89l.jpg

^^^I had a professional photographer "shoot" some pix of my guns for a trade of my home made wine....

Back