• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Rifle/Shotgun Recommendations and Advice...

Re: Which rifle(s) might fill a possible HD void?

A .45-70 lever action Guide Gun. There's no hiding from that beast.

nitesite said:

I thought about that one! Not too many people wanna try and tame that beast either! Holy smokes, I know you're familiar with the ballistics, man what a round! The original govt tests on that are amazing!

Heck, I want one... but just to shoot and learn. I dunno about a go to gun though.

I imagine it takin out a threat for sure, in like the next county if you put the right english on it. Maybe a buffalo too.

But yes, a threat neutralizer for sure.

I actually still want the Rossi for the .45 LC.

Here's that guide gun.
th

And another I really like, the NEF HandiRifle,
th

NiteSite, you told me about another single shot like the NEF, I think it was a Ruger. Do you remember that? Man that was a good lookin gun!

Tom396 said:
IF semi auto, magazine fed rifles were to be outlawed, which rifle (or rifles) do you think would then become the popular choice for home defenders who prefer rifles? I could be mistaken, but I think a good percentage of AR style rifles were chosen for their home defense capabilities, and home defense is a huge part of overall gun popularity.

Exclude the ARs that have been hoarded, exclude shotguns, and exclude handguns. I'm curious as to which rifles do you think would then jump up in sales and popularity?

Personally, I'm thinking pistol caliber carbines, but they seem to be as rare as hen's teeth, right now. Take care. Tom Worthington.

Aside from everything you've purposely excluded, and I still very much like shotguns for that role, I'd personally pick a stock chinese or russian SKS.

In their OEM form, they have never fallen under any sort of assault weapon ban before because they lack the modern features that most gun banners use to classify an "assault weapon" by their definitions.

They only have a 10 round magazine, no pistol grip, no flash hider or threaded barrel or none of the stuff that makes them more evil.

I already own a few registered 9mm carbines at this time that I wouldn't hesitate to use to defend myself, my family and my property with God forbid if the need arose.

Rossignol said:
NiteSite, you told me about another single shot like the NEF, I think it was a Ruger. Do you remember that? Man that was a good lookin gun!

AND EXPENSIVE!!! :p I'd go with a NEF/H&R for the cost :p

nitesite said:

I've always wanted a Henry 45-70. I would like to go on a Maine moose hunt and I think that would be the perfect gun for it. I think it would make a hell of a HD weapon as well!

Ohh I'm going to stir up the monsters inside of you all...

45-70.. teh heheehe... OVER PENETRATION!!! ;) *sits back and watches*

Itsricmo said:
Ohh I'm going to stir up the monsters inside of you all...

45-70.. teh heheehe... OVER PENETRATION!!! ;) *sits back and watches*

Haha, over penetration, haha
That's what she said...

^^ HAHA!! I can't wait too see Oli and LES chime in :lol:
Their insight on Over penetration will be very... errm.. Informational with a twist of Sarcasm :D

Ha! That's why I said it may well stop a buffalo in the next county!

I do like the guide gun, but what about a Mini14 in this role, like a ranchrifle and 5 round magazine?

The degree of penetration all depends on the length of your barrel... ;)

A buddy of mine had a .45-70 Marlin Guide Gun. Stainless with the black and grey laminate stocks. BEAUTIFUL rifle. He shot a 300 gr. load out of it he said knocked his shoulder out of joint each time he shot it. But he had a smile on his face everytime he shot it too, which is really all that mattered. :D

I think that any quality lever action gun in .357 or better would make a fine HD rifle. They are usually very short and handy, and very fast to shoot because it is a lever action gun.
I have a buddy that has a Puma Model 92 lever action rifle in .454 that he deer hunts with here in Indiana. He has taken a few deer with it, but the ammo is very expensive.

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
The degree of penetration all depends on the length of your barrel... ;)

ROFLMAO.

I see what you did there. ;)

The best HD gun you can own is one you never have to fire...but can if you have to. I'm actually not all that "tacticool" and am more a firearm "purist" than anything, but I can't see myself swinging an Arisaka Type 30 through the house (in the dark) in a SHTF situation. My AR-15 is locked away in a safe, so it's not practical either. It would take way too long to remove from the safe before I could slam the mag in.

To me, the best HD weapon you can have is one that is more intimidating than the invader can handle. In this regard, nothing is more intimidating than the sound of the pump action of a shotgun. I bought a H&R Pardner Protector recently and have outfitted it with a flash light and a laser designator. I've also added a 5-shell holder on the side, heat shield, sling and sights. My thoughts are that if the thief were to see the business end of this firearm pointing his direction, the glow of the red dot on his chest just before being blinded by the strobe light, that likely he'd wet himself and cower as I dial 911. If not and he decides to fight, the pressure switches will shut the lights off and the 7+1 00 Buck will take over.

I get where you're coming from though in regards to the handgun caliber carbines. I have a .45 cal. High Point Carbine and love this inexpensive rifle. I chose .45 caliber for it's close range stopping power since it's not one of my everyday shooters. The gun is light, easy to swing around and shoulder, plus can be made to have the same intimidating look that the HD shotguns usually have. For a sub $400 HD system, I feel that they're a pretty good buy :)

CliffD said:
...I can't see myself swinging an Arisaka Type 30 through the house (in the dark) in a SHTF situation....

lol This thought made me laugh till I almost pee'd!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Good!!

I'm not sure how the Japanese were able to crawl in and out of the trenches with these beasts. With the bayonet installed, it's as tall as I am lol.

It's amazing what you can accomplish when you're 4' 3"...

Back