• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Rifle/Shotgun Recommendations and Advice...

Re: AR10 or M1A / M14

Well, since I have six ARs and two .308 precision bolt guns, I'm going with a SOCOM II next. The ARs cover everything from close in to far out, with an SDM build in there.
I intend on dropping it in a VLTOR stock and removing the bottom rail. I haven't decided on glass for it, although I have a spare M68 that might end up on there. Probably some other Sadlak and SEI upgrades. Not looking to make a precision platform out of it, I've got bolt guns for that. Just want something heavier.

Re: Considering my first rifle.

Ross, if you're wanting to keep a budget with the rifle, the Remington SPS T is very hard to beat. The Savage is close. I'm going to assume a bolt gun for this response so if you're going another direction this wouldn't apply.
I wanted a lighter precision bolt gun that I could put together over a couple of months. Remington 700s are the best platform in terms of aftermarket options, base accuracy and reliability, smiths that can work on them, barrel quality, and price. There are also a ton of things that you can work on yourself. Again, Savage is very close.
I started with my SPS T (this was some time before the AAC version was thought of) and built it up as I went along. If you look over on SGW, MohaveTec had a very similar thread to yours a while back and we walked him through a lot of options and base knowledge.
I'd stay away from OFM on the bolt gun side of things. They aren't anywhere near the level of Remingtion, Savage, Winchester, and the other big names. They may get there but like Dan said options are very limited.

Ok, here's Jonas' thread on the bolt gun issue. This is before I got the SPS.
http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtop ... 6#p1446356

Here is M-T's chinga monster thread on the bolt gun issue.
http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtop ... 7&t=192437

Another bolt gun thread:
http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtop ... 7&t=222555

More on tuning up the SPS:
http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtop ... 7&t=223987

And some more:
http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtop ... 7&t=214535

M24, Thank You, as always, its appreciated! I'll go through those threads!

Want a rifle to complete the set

I have bought my pistol and my shotgn, now I want a rifle to complete the set. I don't hunt, so all I would like to do is hit something farther away with good acuracy, common ammo size so ammo will be reasonable, and a good punch. Just the jack of all trades.

What should I think about? What would you recommend?

Re: Want a rifle to complete the set

Bolt Action or Semi-Auto? Price range? Do you want good accuracy, or a tack driver?

Well then my friend your options are pretty broad.

The AR platform is a great place to start looking. You can spend as much as you want to spend on tricked out model, or take the do-it-yourself approach for a LOT cheaper. A decent entry level AR-15 chambered in .223/5.56 will likely run you between $600-$700, DPMS, Delton, etc. Wally World Federal bulk pack .223 ammo will run you $40 per 100 rounds. Doesn't get much better than that for a long gun. If you want the bigger punch of a .308/7.62 AR-10 you're looking at a considerable increase in cost of both the rifle and ammo, plus your options are a lot more limited.

For my money, it's hard to beat an AR-15...

AR or AK. Mutt for the AR (meaning I'd build it) and Vepr for the AK (meaning you won't find a higher quality AK on the market). Aftermarket support for the Vepr is a bit limited as it has a few differences from most AK's.

A used, heavy barrel Mini14 is a great gun, and affordable. Don't forget cost of ammo when deciding on your gun. .223 is one of your cheaper options. It matters if you're going to be shooting it enough to be able to function when it matters.

I am starting to like the idea of building one, so the AR is starting to appeal...

^ Nice!

Hit me up if you have any questions on a potential build. Prices on parts and components are dropping lately since distributor's inventories are finally getting caught up from the tax time spending spree!

Best thing about building your own is that you can proceed at your own pace and pick up parts as you have the cash. Better than layaway!

I've been in the same position recently! Still havent made a final decision! lol!

Looks like I am going to make this a two step approach.

I have used my friends 9mm High Point rifle (same as the one below) and I did enjoy it. It will allow me to get some longer range plinking done around $300 and I can share ammo with the pistols in the house. So just to satisfy a jouvinile impatient desire, I will probably pick up the High Point 995TS4X.

Comes as pictured with the 4x optical sight and a forward vertical grip (not shown).

4xLG.gif

With having my childish needs to have a toy NOW satisfied, I can slowly look into building an AR while pestering Lazy to death. I think the build will prove a fun excersize (for me, maybe not so much for Lazy) and allow me to build something to call my own.

Now to look at gun lockers/safes... I think I am going to need one as this obsession progresses...

Whatever keeps you shoot'n my friend! Looks like a fun plinker.

As far as your future build is concerned, I'll be more than happy to help where I can. I don't consider your questions pestering or bothersome in the least. I spent the better part of the past few years researching specs, parts, and know some of the best resources to find what you'll need. What good is a forum like this if we can't draw off of each other's experience and share what we've learned. Please don't hesitate to hit me up if you have any questions.

Besides, if I ever do get tired of you all I have to do is log off.
:lol:

Ripsnortr said:
Looks like I am going to make this a two step approach.

I have used my friends 9mm High Point rifle (same as the one below) and I did enjoy it. It will allow me to get some longer range plinking done around $300 and I can share ammo with the pistols in the house. So just to satisfy a jouvinile impatient desire, I will probably pick up the High Point 995TS4X.

Comes as pictured with the 4x optical sight and a forward vertical grip (not shown).

4xLG.gif

With having my childish needs to have a toy NOW satisfied, I can slowly look into building an AR while pestering Lazy to death. I think the build will prove a fun excersize (for me, maybe not so much for Lazy) and allow me to build something to call my own.

Now to look at gun lockers/safes... I think I am going to need one as this obsession progresses...

I've got the 9mm and 45 cal Hi point carbines, both reliable and fun so far. The 9mm has about 1200 rounds through it with no issues at all and the 45 has about 600 rounds through it with no issues either. Good fun at a low cost..

Low cost pistol caliber, lifetime unconditional warranty, 100% American made parts and assembly at a reasonably low cost... Hmmmmm..... Must think on this. .45 is lookin tasty.

Rossignol said:
Low cost pistol caliber, lifetime unconditional warranty, 100% American made parts and assembly at a reasonably low cost... Hmmmmm..... Must think on this. .45 is lookin tasty.

The 45 is a good carbine out to 50 yards with good results. Not as cheap to shoot and plink with as the 9mm but packs a nice punch!! I got my 995TS for $249 and the 45 for $289 and both have been awesome. My buddy at the LGS gave me 500 rounds of 9mm and 200 rounds of 45 that a local company that reloads and sells to him. They gave him 2000 9mm rounds and 1000 45 rounds to pass out to friends to try. My Son and I went last Sunday and went through all of them at the indoor range and they worked great.

Back