• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Rifle/Shotgun Recommendations and Advice...

Re: Want a rifle to complete the set

For plinkin' and cheap FUN shootin' NOTHING beats a good old .22. They come in all different varieties, pumps, levers, bolt and semi auto actions. Everybody should have at least 1 or 4 :shock: in the safe.
These can be had fairly cheap and are good for a lifetime of fun.

Just some food for thought as you figure what you want for a rifle.

LTB45 said:
Just some food for thought as you figure what you want for a rifle.

I know one thing I really want in a rifle, is a larger caliber. For me personally, a .22 isnt instantly gratifying. (maybe why I like shooting slugs) So something like a larger pistol caliber maybe just what I need! ;)

Sounds like good times to me! :D

I have been looking at .22's and I don't think that I will be without one for long. The beauty of a 9mm is I get to keep my personal armory stocked with a a minimum of different ammo for a little longer.

I went to my first bulls-eye shoot with the local club last Wednesday and there was .22 handguns and long guns to look at.

So I am sure soon enough, I will be looking into a pistol...who am I kidding, I was looking at Ruger Mark III pistols today, and a LG won't be too far behind...

Ripsnortr said:
I think I may need a 12 step program soon! :lol:

They say the first step to overcoming an addiction is admitting that there IS a problem. I admitted long ago that I DO in fact have a problem...

It's that I don't have enough money to buy all the guns I want!

AR's a great way to go, I have 2 and I should have my third finished by mid week.
.22's are a lot of fun as well, Both my kids have them(one is a Henry Youth Lever action and the other is a Mossberg 802 Bolt action) and I have an Armalite AR-7, I like shooting theirs more than mine, But my AR 7 is easily as old as I am :mrgreen: I am looking for an .22lr conversion for my p226 and possibly get a dedicated upper for one of my AR's
I know its totally up to you, But I L O V E lever action rifles, I have a Winchester 30-30, That my dad bought me back in the late 70's that is one of my favorites, But it was from a different time, People now want rate of fire and black guns :cool:
Best of luck on your decision!

Thinking about a shakeup in the rifle lineup

I was shooting my 30-30 lever gun, making the most of each expensive-ass shot, and it struck me. "Me" I said... "You know you can get an identical rifle to this chambered in 44 magnum, or for even cheaper shooting 357/38 special?" "Wow!" I replied to myself "That would be a smart move instead of that M1 garand you were about to send off for on wednesday after you got the paperwork signed!"

Now I'm not a SHTFaner by any means, but a carbine that would shoot the same cheap, easy to find ammo, that would fit in the majority of revolvers out there sounds good. With a 16 or 18 inch barrel you're getting more performance than a revolver and certainly with a .357 you're a danger out to 100 yards, which is all you can ask from a true carbine. And with the new levergun ammo from hornady, you can stretch that out as far as you need.

Of course I always start second guessing before I make a purchase, and this could just be a burb before buying a garand. But I'm going out tomorrow to look into it... I got a place nearby that is heavily stocked with levers. If they have Marlin Cowboy (octagonal barrel) in 357, I could be in trouble.

Re: Thinking about a shakeup in the rifle lineup

Hmmm... I hear what youre sayin, but dang. Maybe just cuz I dont have or havent yet had access to an M1, thats what I'd go for.

blue said:
I was shooting my 30-30 lever gun, making the most of each expensive-ass shot, and it struck me. "Me" I said... "You know you can get an identical rifle to this chambered in 44 magnum, or for even cheaper shooting 357/38 special?" "Wow!" I replied to myself "That would be a smart move instead of that M1 garand you were about to send off for on wednesday after you got the paperwork signed!"

And then I remembered to take my schizophrenia medication. :lol: But some good points. I want a lever gun, but its like number 4 on my to buy list.

Sounds like a plan to me blue!

Happy hunt'n. Let us know if you end up finding your Marlin...

I hear what your sayin' about the economics of shooting. I'm gearing up to get a Marlin 795 .22LR just so that I can get more trigger time for less buck.

I've used M1's Garands and although they're very reliable, they are also very heavy and 30-06 ammo is also very expensive as well.

Now that the negative is out of the way, let's look at some postives.

30-06 Garand. Semi auto, shoots long and hard. Have been known to take down light armor vehicles and craft, let alone all the people who never saw home after being on the wrong end of one.

Now for the 357/38 lever action.

Lighter, more manueverable, shoots one of the stronger pistol calibers, lots of deer and other size critters put on the dinner table with them and ammunition is about $20 for 50 shots. 30-06 ammo is about a buck a pop.

So, my big question is what are you mainly going to do with it and how often do you plan to shoot it?

Now finally, I know this probably only applies to me, but I've recently seen some youtube video's using a 38/357 lever gun with a silencer and they were pretty darn quiet.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrJ163CqIvw[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfXcLxGVGJg[/youtube]

John A. said:
I've used M1's Garands and although they're very reliable, they are also very heavy and 30-06 ammo is also very expensive as well.

So, my big question is what are you mainly going to do with it and how often do you plan to shoot it?

Well the gun I'm looking at is the Henry Big Boy, so the weight compared to the garand is probably a push :lol:

It would be a fun gun. At least twice a week shooting. Not only is ammo cheaper to buy, but super easy and cheap to reload 38/357 ammo as opposed to 30/30, 30/06, 45/70, etc.

Also would be used as an HD gun third in line behind a 590a1 and a sidearm. And I am a levergun guy, so when I say I'd also use it for HD, I'm not being romantic.

I won't look down my nose at anyone from owning/using a lever gun. If they tamed the wild west, they'd tame most any other neighborhood as well ;)

And Henry makes good guns too. Some of the smoother actions out there in my humble opinion.

The M1 Garand really shines when feed a good diet of hand-rolled 30.06.

You won't save any money...but you will shoot more.

The mission ?... 30.06 can drop anything on the North American continent...1000 yards away.

I got two words for you...Camp Perry

Why get a long barreled handgun ( ie...rifle shooting a pistol cartridge ) when you can have a battle rifle...?!

Nuff said... ;)

SHOOTER13 said:
The M1 Garand really shines when feed a good diet of hand-rolled 30.06.

You won't save any money...but you will shoot more.

The mission ?... 30.06 can drop anything on the North American continent...1000 yards away.

I got two words for you...Camp Perry

Why get a long barreled handgun ( ie...rifle shooting a pistol cartridge ) when you can have a battle rifle...?!

Nuff said... ;)

Because I'm more worried about 75 feet away? ;) Ideally I would have both. I can afford both guns. I just can't afford to shoot both guns as much as I'd like. One I could shoot to my heart's content. The other, I'm counting rounds. We all have different metrics we use. The 1000 yard shot from a stable rest has never been on my radar. shooting well offhand at 50 yds? Now you're impressing me.

Back