• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Rifle/Shotgun Recommendations and Advice...

Re: Thinking about a shakeup in the rifle lineup

walpoler said:
I hear what your sayin' about the economics of shooting. I'm gearing up to get a Marlin 795 .22LR just so that I can get more trigger time for less buck.
Good choice- I bought one 2 months ago. Really nice to shoot. And dirt cheap.
I bought the Stainless steel one. Also bought a 70PSS last year at a gun show. Same basic gun, it just
breaks down nice for a SHTF bug out. Both are accurate too- right out of the box! Extra mags are cheap too.

blue wrote: "... "Me" I said... "You know you can get an identical rifle to this chambered in 44 magnum, or for even cheaper shooting 357/38 special?" "Wow!" I replied to myself "That would be a smart move instead of that M1 garand you were about to send off for on wednesday after you got the paperwork signed!"...Of course I always start second guessing before I make a purchase, and this could just be a burb before buying a garand."

===========================================

Hey, I was just trying to talk ya back into the M1 Garand...you know, the one you were going to get... ?!

I'm out...

SHOOTER13 said:
blue wrote: "... "Me" I said... "You know you can get an identical rifle to this chambered in 44 magnum, or for even cheaper shooting 357/38 special?" "Wow!" I replied to myself "That would be a smart move instead of that M1 garand you were about to send off for on wednesday after you got the paperwork signed!"...Of course I always start second guessing before I make a purchase, and this could just be a burb before buying a garand."

===========================================

Hey, I was just trying to talk ya back into the M1 Garand...you know, the one you were going to get... ?!

I'm out...

Hope I didn't offend you. I gave you the little winky face and everything! I know. Sticking with plan A is always the best move. But I have a real soft spot for Lever guns. I don't shoot the 30 30 often enough, and when I do, it's so freakin' fun.

they will be making Henry lever guns for a long time to come

they stopped building real Garands in the mid 50's

my .02

blue wrote: "Hope I didn't offend you. I gave you the little winky face and everything!"

-----------------------------------------------

...no offense taken....I guess I should have added a winky !!...here ya go: ;)

------------------------------------------------

.40-.45 said:
they will be making Henry lever guns for a long time to come

they stopped building real Garands in the mid 50's

my .02

Damn you to heck!!!!!! Great point...

It sounds like you will be coming home with a lever gun...from what you have been posting I would say that a lever gun will fit the bill nicely...

Or not... Seems as the SASS cowboy action crowd is aging, they're all starting to shoot 38 specials instead of the traditional rounds that start with a "4". Google up Marlin 1894 and try to find one for sale. Now I can find the Henry I like online, but I wouldn't mind having a choice :evil:

It's harder than finding a non-boutique, standard target 1911!

I almost never see the Marlins, every now and then in pawn shops... I see the Henry often though, and recently saw a vendor with a set of 3; .357, .45, and I didnt pay attention to the other, .44 maybe?

Well marlin has been struggling for years. They've been threatening bankruptcy, and cutting employees. For all I know they already closed. It's between winchester and henry for me right now, as I don't trust an under $700 lever gun to be a lifetime gun. I like lifetime guns.

I had a Marlin .357 that sucked always jammed. Still have a Marlin 30-30 that is awesome, haven’t shot it in years I should break it out.
My dad wants the Henry in 45 LC, looks like fun to shoot I hope he gets it

blue said:
Well marlin has been struggling for years. They've been threatening bankruptcy, and cutting employees. For all I know they already closed. It's between winchester and henry for me right now, as I don't trust an under $700 lever gun to be a lifetime gun. I like lifetime guns.

Marlin is still alive as far as I know. Cerberus Capital Management stepped in and rescued them from their financial woes, but I'm not sure what they plan on doing with the brand. They seem to have their hands full with Remington, Bushmaster, and DPMS for now.

A challenger appears!

7405.jpg

Ruger 77 in 357! 5 round rotatry mag. The 44 mag has been around for awhile, but now this is on the market. And by "on the market" I mean "In the catalog" Nobody has one for sale... But dang! ZEXY!

I almost posted that 77 for you, but thought your were stuck on a lever gun...

he dont know what he wants

oli700 said:
he dont know what he wants

I know exactly what I want. A carbine that fires 357. I thought my only option WAS a lever gun. I just found out that there is now a high quality bolt action. It's makes it a tougher decision.

Take your time and get what you want. My friends thought I was crazy for buying a semi-auto pistol chambered in .30 cal. carbine but I love it. .

cbshooter said:
Take your time and get what you want. My friends thought I was crazy for buying a semi-auto pistol chambered in .30 cal. carbine but I love it. .

yeah, I'm going to pick between lever and bolt and get the one I like most. I know where I can borrow a 44 magnum 77 to try out for a spell. Man, if they'd make a "deerslayer" style carbine in 357, that would be the end all for me. My first hunting rifle was a ruger deerslayer when I was 12. "yup... Same bullet Dirty Harry shoots" ended many an argument from kids with "nicer" rifles :lol:

Still may get the M1, because as 40-45 said, they ain't building them anymore. And at $600 from CMP it's quite a deal for a gun you can drag through hell and back, and still be able to empty all 8 as fast as you can pull the trigger. I'd just rather pull the trigger at 20 cents a round rather than 70 or 80 (reloading myself, with components not purchased in bulk, cuz I won't shoot the M1 or the carbine as much as I shoot 9mm)

But yeah, I'll end up with a 357 carbine fo' sho'.

I just saw a post on calguns.net that said CMP could not get any more of the Garands so you may want to jump on that dog pretty darn quick. They may have some of the better grades but if the cheap ones are gone the good ones will be right behind them. I remember our Pres. signed a bill that would not allow any more of them to come back in our country. I was wondering can you shoot 38 spec in the 357 rifle? Good luck.

Back