• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Rifle/Shotgun Recommendations and Advice...

Re: which one should i get?

I have a Saiga 12 too! I love that thing...it eats my money.... :lol:
it loves buck shot and slugs.....

also ...there is a forum for saiga owners too...they have a myriad of topics, and 'how to' stuff there (polish the bolt)

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/forum/2-saiga-12/

**disclaimer**
They are not as friendly as us here at Mossberg Owners are and they can be real a**holes if you ask them something that they covered already (in their myriad of topics), so be safe,and do a search on the question first, then if you don't find it ask away.

Also good prices on products can be found here..
http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com ... StoreFront

I would also suggest checking on the laws regarding the pistol grip, and other "accessories" you may want , to see if you can have them in your state.
Although federally it's not illegal, It's illegal to have a pistol grip on mine here in Connecticut. :cry:
LAME!!!

Thanks ripjack ill have to sign up for that site, and I'm most likely going to start up a thread here on the Saiga 12 build.

What does your Saiga look like?

I haven't ordered anything for that reason to I'm not sure about every law in NY, but i understand how LAME Connecticut, I go to Fairfield University.

It just has a normal stock. I did buy a Blackhawk recoil pistol grip for it. Not that I can use it. If NY allows you to have one ai can sell you mine. I haven't even used it. So it's in perfect shape. This weekend I'll get some pix of it.

NY is the same way with Pistol grips, ive been looking into what i can and can not get for it.

Here's a list

Assault Weapons

It shall be unlawful to possess any “assault weapon” or “large capacity ammunition feeding device.” So called assault weapons lawfully possessed prior to September 14, 1994 and large capacity ammunition feeding devices manufactured prior to such date can continue to be lawfully possessed..

“Assault weapon” is defined as:

A semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least two of the following characteristics:

- a folding or telescoping stock
-a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the actionof the weapon
-a bayonet mount
-a flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor
-a grenade launcher
-A semiautomatic shotgun that has at least two of the following characteristics
-a folding or telescoping stock
-a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon
-a fixed magazine capacity in excess of five rounds
-an ability to accept a detachable magazine
-A semiautomatic pistol that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least two of the following characteristics
-an ammunition magazine that attaches to the pistol outside of the pistol grip
-a threaded barrel capable of accepting a barrel extender, flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer
-shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel and that permits the shooter to hold the firearm with the nontrigger hand without being burned
-manufactured weight of fifty ounces or more when the pistol is unloaded
-A semiautomatic version of an automatic rifle, shotgun or firearm
-Any of the weapons, or functioning frames or receivers of such weapons, or copies or duplicates of such weapons, in any caliber, known as:
- Norinco, Mitchell, and Poly Technologies Avtomat Kalashnikovs (All Models)
-Action Arms Israeli Military Industries UZI and Galil
-Beretta Ar70 (SC-70)
-Colt AR-15
-Fabrique National FN/FAL, FN/LAR, and FNC
-SWD M-10, M-11, M-11/9, and M-12
-Steyr AUG
-INTRATEC TEC-9, TEC-DC9 and TEC-22
-revolving cylinder shotguns, such as (or similar to) the Street Sweeper and Striker
Assault weapons does not include:
-any rifle, shotgun or pistol that: is manually operated by bolt, pump, lever or slide action; or has been rendered permanently inoperable
-An antique firearm as defined under federal law
-A semiautomatic rifle that cannot accept a detachable magazine that holds more than five rounds of ammunition
- A semiautomatic shotgun that cannot hold more than five rounds of ammunition in a fixed or detachable magazine
-A rifle, shotgun or pistol, or a replica or a duplicate thereof, specifically exempted from the federal assault weapon ban list as such weapon was manufactured on October 1, 1993
“Large capacity ammunition feeding device” means a magazine, belt, drum, feed strip, or similar device, manufactured after September 13, 1994, that has a capacity of, or that can be readily restored or converted to accept, more than ten rounds of ammunition. There is an exception for an attached tubular device designed to accept, and capable of operating only with, .22 caliber rimfire ammunition.

.40 S&W and/or .357 mag carbine suggestions?

I'd like to know what available options there are for carbines that fire either .40 S&W and/or .357 magnum. I'd like a carbine that can fire ammunition I'm already buying for handguns. Don't really want another cartridge to keep up with. I fully understand that I'd be giving up some of the positive attributes of a good carbine by limiting my choices to these cartridges. Take care. Tom Worthington.

Re: .40 S&W and/or .357 mag carbine suggestions?

.40 S&W?

How 'bout a pistol caliber AR-15 like the Olympic Arms K40?

Olympic Arms: K40

...or the Beretta Cx4 Storm...

Beretta: Cx4 Storm

Couple other .40 S&W carbines out there worth honorable mention like the KelTec Sub2000 and the Hi-Point Carbine.

As far as .357mag goes, outside of lever-action carbines nothing else is ringin a bell. There are a few .357mag options from Winchester, Henry, Marlin,Rossi, etc...

I have to say I would lean towards the Storm and 40 S&W

or I would go AR in 9mm

the storm would make a great truck gun..........actually I think I need one of those

Great thanks alot

H&R handi-rifle single shots are available in 38/357

Oooh yeah, good call Mr. A!

I spaced out on the handi-rifles...

Oct 12 was the last reply here? Where is everyone now?

I purchased an AR, complete, didnt build my own. I was lookin at heavier calibers in bolt action guns till I realized my daughter was really into the idea of an AR...

The bolt action I still wanna get. I go back and forth with it as much as I did before. There are 3 I really like.
Remington 700 (in whichever model variant)
Savage (two models I really like)
Mossberg 4x4 and MVP (I'd do the MVP in .308)

So, I'm still ok with either a .30-06 or .308. The .308 I think is less expensive to shoot though.

I think one of my criteria when I'm ready to get another rifle will be at least a detachable box magazine.

One thing about DBMs, they're great for faster reloads but the mags themselves can be REALLY expensive. The mags for my AICS rigs are around $85 for the ten rounders, $65 for the five rounders. Another thing is that I tend to shoot faster if I know I've got another mag ready to go and that can be counterproductive to accuracy at times. Definitely do your research on the cost of extra mags before you decide which way you wanna go...

Excellent information. Thank you all. :) Take care. Tom Worthington.

I'll throw in a vote for the storm. Although mine was a 9mm i loved that carbine more than most guns i've owned. Plus i'm left handed so it was nice to not have shells flying in front of my face but the righties who shot it while i had it set up for left handed shooting would jump. HA!

Thats a very good point!

While I have always liked .30-06 from growin up, I think I prefer the continuity of the .308 with a wider range of firearms it can be used in.

With the DBM, I'd ideally prefer the conversion like whats available for the 700 so it can use standard .308 Win. magazines. The theory behind that is I may oneday like to have an AR10 or the Springfield M1A and the magazines and ammo would all be interchangable... (I think the M1A is a standard .308 magazine?) If I'm wrong on that it changes my long term plans!!! :lol:

The M1A and AR-10 platforms use slightly different mags and followers.

As I understand it M1A mags can be modified to function in an AR-10. You have to cut a hole in the M1A mag body for the AR-10 mag catch, and the M1A follower won't hold the bolt open after the last shot. Gen I AR-10 mags will fit into an M1A, but the bolt hold open wont work unless you put in an old M14 mag follower. Gen II AR-10 mags will not lock into an M1A.

Well... then yeah, that definitely changes my list just a bit!

Thanks LES, this is stuff I definitely did not know!

It's not a bolt action, but it's .308. Kel-Tec RFB
b_33c5cba5976e62bd471ae0e534396697RFB_left_6417hires.jpg

b_b387cfe9e7878eb59b94100ff3dc7874RFB_right_6416hires.jpg

b_70bf4b29b7d7219fe295905591c4adddRFB1.jpg

^^ Isn't that one of those mythical guns that's talked about alot but few people have seen, much less own? :D

Back