• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Rifled Slugs... OK for a JM Pro?

Having found a new indoor range, I wanted to use it to help zero in my new JM Pro. Unfortunately, the range will only accept slugs indoors. Am I OK using rifled slugs in the JM Pro, or must I use sabots or some other kind of slug?

Thanks.

The general rule is rifled slugs for smooth bore barrels and sabots for rifled barrels.

You can mix and match without hurting the gun but accuracy of sabots through a smooth bore will be disappointing at best and leave you wondering why you just wasted so much money. They really need the rifling in the barrel to stabilize them.

Rifled slugs are designed for smooth bore barrels, the fins are to account for variations in choke without distorting the slug itself, not for imparting spin as many seem to believe. It is the weight forward design that keeps then stable without rifling. You can shoot these through a rifled barrel with some success but they will lead the barrel pretty good over time.

It's only going to depend somewhat on the choke you have installed. I wouldn't be willing to risk firing a slug through anything as tight as a full choke but less than that should be fine. Generally modified or improved or even more open. I'm not familiar with the chokes included with the JM Pro. Make sure not to fire with out a choke however.

The rifled slug should be the way to go. A sabot is intended for a fully rifled barrel and a rifled slug for a smooth bore.

It's only going to depend somewhat on the choke you have installed. I wouldn't be willing to risk firing a slug through anything as tight as a full choke but less than that should be fine. Generally modified or improved or even more open. I'm not familiar with the chokes included with the JM Pro. Make sure not to fire with out a choke however.

The rifled slug should be the way to go. A sabot is intended for a fully rifled barrel and a rifled slug for a smooth bore.

Whatever choke comes factory installed for a JM Pro is what's in the barrel, although the other chokes are included and could be changed. I think "modified" but I'm not sure.
I assume therefore, that the barrel of a JM Pro is "smooth bore," correct?

I's use rifled slugs in a 730 SPX (smooth bore) like the JM Pro. Remember (RIFLED slugs for smooth bore) and SABOT for rifled bore. The rifled slug "rifeling" around the slug does nothing for aerodynamics. They are there for shotguns with chokes to allow it to pass without exploding the end of the barrel. The best ones I used for target practice are the Winchester Ranger 1oz. Law Enforcement Slug - RA12RS15 low recoil 1200fps.I'm ot trying to endorse Winchester just saying they cycle just fine. They kick a lot less than even some birdshot/buckshot loads, and they cycled the gun just fine.

Back