• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

RIO OO buckshot VS. Federal Tactical LE132

Yeah, it works real well...not trying to turn this into a Vang thread just wanted to show some Rio patterns

I went out to Wally World and some local gun stores this week, looking for some low recoil 00 buck. The only thing I've been able to find in low or managed recoil is Rio Royal Low Recoil, 1200fps. Price is right too, like $3.49 or $3.99 a box. I've got enough of it to spend some at the range. Have any of you used any of the Rio Royal low recoil stuff?

No but I am real curious. Being low recoil they probably pattern tighter…..at least that is what I am finding in my reloads

This got me to thinking about some tests I did a while back. I think I might have posted them before. Just in case I didn't ....

All tests were conducted on the same day with a stock Mossberg 930 SPX. All targets were 8.5" X 11".

Rio Royal Buck at 7 Yards
20110507_RB07.jpg

FliteControl at 7 Yards
20110507_FC07.jpg

Rio Royal Buck at 10 Yards
20110507_RB10.jpg

FliteControl at 10 Yards
20110507_FC10.jpg

Rio Royal Buck at 15 Yards
20110507_RB15.jpg

FliteControl at 15 Yards
20110507_FC15.jpg

For home defense use, I like the patterns from the Rio Royal. I don't live in a stately mansion, so 5-10 yards is reasonable.

I've been looking for Remington Managed Recoil, or Winchester WinLite, but I'm not finding it, other than online.

I suppose the reason I am a fanboy of loading slugs in my duty shotgun is because of the typical ranges I will encounter. The FliteControl buckshot is still pretty much a slug at 10-yards and since I might need barrier penetration that is why I opt for slugs up first. The RIO buckshot load has a very practical application for many (if not most) homeowners at typical distances involved. My police department has issued us RIO HV12BK 00 Buckshot for years. I love the FliteControl buckshot load and have reviewed in a very positive light, but it's not always the best buckshot load for every situation!

Back