• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

rio OO buckshot

Dude, thats a great deal on 500 rounds! I've heard good things about the Rio, but have never tried it myself. It is usually more expensive and goes for more than $1 per shell.

Heck I would! I think the best bulk buy I have found is $124 or so for 250 rounds. Its in the small quantities I have seen as much as $1 per shell. Rio is made in Brazil and is supposed to be pretty decent stuff. I have no idea what kind of patterns it produces, but for the price, you can practice all day long, save the hulls and reload em!

I picked up a couple boxes of the RIO OO buck when I picked up my 590. Haven't had a chance to shoot any since the weather isn't cooperating. I'll let you know how I like it when I get the chance to shoot it.

I just stepped out back and fired off a few rounds of birdshot and then 1 round of the Hornady OO buck and the RIO OO buck. My little firing area is flooded so I didn't do any extensive research but both the Hornady and RIO seemed to pattern pretty good from about 10-15 yards.

Once it dries up and clears up, I'll try to get some pictures and let you all know how the RIO stacks up.

glad to help, in confined area I dont see much of a problem with these but out in the yard it might not be the right choice....but honestly they are affordable enough to use for practice and on steel targets they work better than bird shot . I dont know about you but out of my 500 bird/target loads make about a 4 foot pattern at 15 yards.

oli700 said:
out of my 500 bird/target loads make about a 4 foot pattern at 15 yards.

Seriously! ?? :shock: I never seen anything like that before! We typically practice at 25 to 30 yards, and I expect about 12 to 15"! My 20" barrels pattern nearly as tight as my daughter's 24" barrel. Wow, we're gonna need another thread!

I made a steel target hanger out of 2x4’s that is 5 feet tall and about 3 ½ feet wide. I was shooting pistols and sighting in slugs on it at 40 yards. I took a couple of boxes of 5 dollar target loads with me to practice cycling the gun while shooting just at a dirt berm. The hanger I made has a 3’x3’ square of plywood in the middle for sighting in. I put a large Shoot&See target on it for dialing in pistols and slugs before going after the steel. At the end of the day I decided to shoot it dead center with the target load. I was amazed when the whole target turned yellow. I ran right up there and saw that not only did it do that but it put those tiny pellets in all the surrounding 2x4’s. I was shocked. This could have been closer to 20 yards as I didn’t really measure it out but more less thought I was a little closer than half way to it from where I shooting earlier. Estate target loads.

I finally got a chance to test these out and take some photos of the pattern. Heres a picture at 15 yards

IMG_3585.jpg

Back