• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Ripping off hull base. (Sold the gun)

Just for shtts and giggles, has this ammo ever been wet or stored in a very damp place?

1FE18E85-5940-403B-95E8-CCE17F670897.jpeg I don’t know ANYTHING about ammo or it’s construction, but I had to clamp this shell in a vice, twist the crap out of it and then lever it out with a pair of channel locks. The hull still didn’t separate from that base piece. It’s appears to be rolled over the bottom edge before being inserted into the metal. Your pics don’t seem to show any deformation at the bottom from the roll crimp. Shell pictured is a NobelSport #00.

Again, please pardon my lack of knowledge, but is there some sort of “ timing” before the mechanism pulls the shell back for ejection? Since the thin plastic hull is staying in the chamber while the rest of it is ejected, is it possible for the extraction to begin before the load has fully cleared the hull, albeit instantly, thus causing a swage effect, pinning the plastic to the bore as the hot brass is jerked backwards? Could a weak or collapsing wad cause a momentary delay? Also, wasn’t it mentioned that some of the shells were loose or the hulls rotate in the brass? I can’t imagine that is normal..

Last edited:
There is a specific timing of everything. Though not much you can change on your own, other than replacing the action spring, which I think was among one of my first suggestions.

Firing pin hits primer. Primer ignites powder which builds pressure and forces the wad and shot down the bore. In that time, the hull also expands to the inside surface of the chamber and forms a temporary gas seal. Where it stays expanded for some time until the pressure reduces.

If the bolt tries to extract the hull too soon while the pressure is still high in the barrel, it could rip the base off of the shell, which again as I mentioned, change the action spring first.

This can happen in other firearms too. Just research "case head seperation". That's actually the technical term for what is happening.

There is a specific timing of everything. Though not much you can change on your own, other than replacing the action spring, which I think was among one of my first suggestions.

Firing pin hits primer. Primer ignites powder which builds pressure and forces the wad and shot down the bore. In that time, the hull also expands to the inside surface of the chamber and forms a temporary gas seal. Where it stays expanded for some time until the pressure reduces.

If the bolt tries to extract the hull too soon while the pressure is still high in the barrel, it could rip the base off of the shell, which again as I mentioned, change the action spring first.

This can happen in other firearms too. Just research "case head seperation". That's actually the technical term for what is happening.

Yep, and out of time M2 will rip a .50 BMG case in two.

Again, please pardon my lack of knowledge, but is there some sort of “ timing” before the mechanism pulls the shell back for ejection? Since the thin plastic hull is staying in the chamber while the rest of it is ejected, is it possible for the extraction to begin before the load has fully cleared the hull, albeit instantly, thus causing a swage effect, pinning the plastic to the bore as the hot brass is jerked backwards? Could a weak or collapsing wad cause a momentary delay? Also, wasn’t it mentioned that some of the shells were loose or the hulls rotate in the brass? I can’t imagine that is normal..

Thanks for that effort and sacrifice of a shell. Not all hulls are equal for sure. There are "One Piece" hulls and "Two Piece" hulls. The "One Piece" are superior such as Remington Gun Club or STS, two piece like the Fiocchi hulls like I pictured are not. I only reload the gun clubs or STS hulls for that reason.

John A is spot on I think that it is a timing issue.

Thanks for the input everyone and if I ever find out what the rest of the story is I will hop back on here and let you know. It is no longer my problem as one of the guys I shoot trap with bought it from me today. He only shoots AA shells (that it runs every time) and will be using it for a sporting clays gun. I will be putting the cash towards another Browning.

Does this gun have a tiny gas passage that helps delay the bolt action for a split second?

A blowback port, or a relief of some description?

Back