• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Rollin' my own...

Razzle

Since I've finally gotten my Shockwave, I've been wanting to shoot minishells. I bought a few boxes of Aguila slugs, but couldn't find any buckshot - because they're apparently made of pure unobtanium. So I decided (with the help of a YouTube video) to make a few of my own.

To do this, I picked up a few boxes of 12 gauge #8 shot and cut them down. I replaced the shot with #4 buckshot. I left the powder in place, so I would be using the same reduced recoil field shot. I also had to cut down the shot cup. Not too much of a problem.

At first, I made them too long...so I cut them down. Then they were almost right. The problem was that they were not crimped flatly - and that caused a feeding problem. Once I solved this problem, the shells began cycling properly and the recoil was very light. The original shells that I cut were 1 1/8 load, but I found that I couldn't get enough #4 buckshot into the shell. So I put fewer into them, and they worked just fine.

I haven't patterned the shells, as I'm still trying to perfect them. But as I get better at this, I'll update this thread for those who are considering doing the same.

A final thought: Shooting the homemade loads was a lot of fun. The light recoil and noticeable accuracy put a big goofy grin on my face. Eventually, I'll go with primered hulls and packaged powder (when they're readily available. But for now, I'm having a lot of fun rollin' my own with the Shockwave.

Yeah, there was a thread here many years ago about using the cheap bulk shells to load slugs with that worked well during one of the previous shortages.

I don't recall ever cutting them down though. Are you using a spacer of some such in the mossberg receiver? I've seen them having to be used before with the aguila shells.

I picked up one of the roll crimpers from ballistics products which does well for crimping shells if you don't mind using either a cardboard shot cover or the clear plastic overshot cards that ballistics products also sells.

I'm using the OpSol adapter. I bought a 25lb bag of #4 buckshot to replace the field loads in the shells. I haven't patterned them yet, as I'm just learning. But so far it's been a lot of fun. I put the Shockwave right up there with my Taurus Judge in terms of being fun to shoot.

I bought a box of steel #3 ought ball bearings from amazon a while back. I don't remember exactly but I think they were around $18.00 and there were supposed to be around 1500 pellets in the bag. I bought them because at the time, it was impossible to buy buckshot so I got what I could find.

https://www.amazon.com/1500-Pieces-PGN-Slingshot-Precision/dp/B08C462ZNY/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=1500pcs 5/16inch Steel Ball Slingshot Ammo 7.938mm Precision Steel Bearing Balls&qid=1624327954&s=industrial&sr=1-5

Steel being lighter than lead won't have the penetration especially at longer ranges, but you won't find anyone to volunteer to test penetration or bone breakage at the distances that I would use them anyway.

http://mossbergowners.com/forum/index.php?threads/thinking-outside-the-box.20261/

I bought a box of steel #3 ought ball bearings from amazon a while back. I don't remember exactly but I think they were around $18.00 and there were supposed to be around 1500 pellets in the bag. I bought them because at the time, it was impossible to buy buckshot so I got what I could find.

That's not a bad idea. I might try it before I shell out the $$$ for another 25# bag of #4 buckshot. The only thing is that the bag I bought might just last forever. I've only made 50 rounds of the minishells and haven't put a noticeable dent in my supply.

Last weekend I completed my second round of reloading (rebuilding?). This time I bought a couple boxes of Remington Nitro 27 Target Loads for $8/box. I noticed that my technique is getting better...probably because I cut a couple pieces of PVC that were just a bit longer, and that gave me more room for crimping. These cycled through quite a bit better, but still not perfectly (like the Aguila Minishells). Like the Winchesters that I converted earlier, there was little recoil and lots of fun. I'll probably pick up a couple boxes every time I go to Walmart...as long as they have them on the shelves.

I look forward to testing my "custom" shells against the Techrim loads that I just picked up. Hopefully I will get to report good news.

I did some shooting this weekend. I found that my homebrew #4 min buckshot held a reasonably tight pattern. At about 60 feet, they produced (roughly) a 4-foot pattern. I doubt I'll ever need to shoot this kind of distance - maybe half that, at most (which would mean a tighter pattern). For me, that's acceptable home defense performance.

4 foot pattern at 20 yards?

I'm not meaning to sound condescending, but that's pretty bad.

I did some shooting this weekend. I found that my homebrew #4 min buckshot held a reasonably tight pattern. At about 60 feet, they produced (roughly) a 4-foot pattern. I doubt I'll ever need to shoot this kind of distance - maybe half that, at most (which would mean a tighter pattern). For me, that's acceptable home defense performance.

Yeah, ten yards is still really loooooong for home defense. But I see your point, like maybe outdoors or something?

Yeah, there was a thread here many years ago about using the cheap bulk shells to load slugs with that worked well during one of the previous shortages.

I don't recall ever cutting them down though. Are you using a spacer of some such in the mossberg receiver? I've seen them having to be used before with the aguila shells.

I picked up one of the roll crimpers from ballistics products which does well for crimping shells if you don't mind using either a cardboard shot cover or the clear plastic overshot cards that ballistics products also sells.

Here is the thread John was talking about. http://mossbergowners.com/forum/index.php?threads/what-are-those-bulk-skeet-shells-good-for.7475/

4 foot pattern at 20 yards?

I'm not meaning to sound condescending, but that's pretty bad.

I didn't take it that way at all. I just look at it differently. If 20 yards (60 feet) produces a 4-foot pattern, then a shot from 10 yards (30 feet) would produce roughly a 2-foot pattern. That's about the absolute longest shot I'd have to take inside my house. Personally, I want that kind of spread if I had to take a shot in a dark room, at a moving target, just after waking to an intruder in the house. Heat-of-the-moment accuracy would probably be poor in that situation, and the spread would compensate for that lack of accuracy.

Again, I'm not being condescending, but a 2' pattern at 10 yards, is still not good. It's OK if we have a difference of opinion. We're all entitled to that.

But at just 10 steps away from the target, you should be able to cover a pattern of buckshot with a paper plate (and that's still being very conservative).

I tested again this last weekend. At 10 yards, my patterns ranged from 14" at the widest to 10.5" at the narrowest. I'm not sure what brought about the difference, but I suspect that it was the wads...or the shot placement.

For the widest shots, I used the wads supplied in the shells that I cut down. The newest results came from some Claybuster Windjammer wads. I don't know if they had anything at all to do with the patterning, but I paid close attention to the placement of the buckshot and I got much better results. Hopefully, I've found the home defense solution.

Good job. Now that's a much more acceptable pattern. When you said you were getting such a big spread before, I would've been doing you a disservice if I had not mentioned it.

But, now I wouldn't hesitate using that for myself.

I also have some windjammer wads. They do well.

I'm glad you did mention it. I'm always trying to improve what I'm doing with these shells. I don't know exactly what made the difference, but I'm happy with it.

Funny thing...my dad (a Vietnam Navy vet - and extremely adverse to trying anything new), who thought the Shockwave was ridiculous until he saw how the TL-Racker and Laser Saddle worked on an intruding opossum at night, now wants to "borrow the shotgun." He's got a Remington 870 Tactical, so he can outfit it with the same options, but I think he likes the lighter option of the Shockwave.

I thought it was time to update this thread.

I recently rolled my 700th minishell, and I've made a lot of progress in streamlining my workflow and in achieving better results. I'm getting much better looking shells and surprisingly good accuracy (8-10" at 20 feet).

I've discovered that Federal Field & Target #8 shot has consistently produced the best minishell rounds. This is a really good thing, because a box of 100 currently goes for $30 around here - and they're always available. Windjammer wads and clear overshot cards are relatively inexpensive, so I can continue to enjoy my hobby without breaking the bank.

I've also bought a Lee Production Pot and a #4 mold from Marty's Arms. I plan to begin casting shot (from the #8 pellets) this summer.

If all goes well, I'll update this thread later with my results.

Back