• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Rollin' my own...

Casting shot is no small feat especially the tiny shot. I've never heard of Marty's arms before. I'll check them out.

Sounds like you've got the process down pat. Great job !!!!

I recently rolled my 700th minishell, and I've made a lot of progress in streamlining my workflow and in achieving better results.

Are you able to use a regular shell press--ie: is it adjustable enough? I have an older press I picked up for $20. Looks like it is all there but I'd still have to secure reloading components and it is hard enough getting primers and such as it is... :(

Are you able to use a regular shell press--ie: is it adjustable enough? I have an older press I picked up for $20. Looks like it is all there but I'd still have to secure reloading components and it is hard enough getting primers and such as it is... :(

No. I use a hull vise (screwed into a small board) and a cordless drill with a $20 roll crimper. I wish I could find a shell press that would make minishells, but all I've found is 2 3/4 and 3" presses.

Casting shot is no small feat especially the tiny shot.

That's what I'm worried about. But it's all a learning process for me. Besides, a 25# bag of #4 shot is $90 (plus shipping), and that would take away most of the savings from this project.

^Razzle, have you considered using steel ball bearings? They come in a multitude of sizes and are reaonably priced in quantity online.

One of the problems I've seen with cast lead shot is the tendency to have individual pellets deformed during ignition which can cause a flyer and reduce overall accuracy. Haven't seen that happen with the much harder steel ball bearings.

Just a thought for consideration.

Regards

^Razzle, have you considered using steel ball bearings? They come in a multitude of sizes and are reaonably priced in quantity online.

One of the problems I've seen with cast lead shot is the tendency to have individual pellets deformed during ignition which can cause a flyer and reduce overall accuracy. Haven't seen that happen with the much harder steel ball bearings.

Just a thought for consideration.

Regards

Hmmmm. That might be an option. I wonder if the lighter weight would make a difference in performance. I might try to find some just to make a direct comparison. Do you know of a good source?

^Razzle, I recently bought a couple of thousand in two differnet sizes off Amazon.

If you check "Chrome Steel Bearing Balls" there are several sources and a multitude of sizes available.

When I bought last month it appeared the 1000 packs were cheaper but I'm sure the prices are changing daily like everything else.

Regards

Apparently there is a press and attachment that will load minishells. A MEC 600 JR with this attachment should do it.

https://www.ballisticproducts.com/M...-7_8-12ga-100MN9241/productinfo/130100MN9241/

Maybe someday....

Back