• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Rossi Circuit Judge

Rossignol

The Original Sheriff
Global Moderator
Sponsor
Hmmm, Gimmicky or a useful tool that has its place?

Rossi Circuit Judge
SCJ4510_1.jpg

I have some questions and ponderings...

It will fire both .410 shells, 2 1/2" and 3" as well as .45 LC. To me, the obvious question is;
Is the barrel rifled?

If so, shotshell performance will suffer.
If not, how will a .45 be stabilized?

I couldnt find the info on the site, but I want one! I'd put a 1907 sling on it and it would ride in my scabbard!

If you like it than it has a place for you.....but let me ask, what appeals to you about having something that takes the room of a rifle/carbine buy yet shoots handgun ammo...I like a thing that does double duty but in most cases they never do one thing well but two thing ok. I don’t think the gun is a gimmick but you pack two awesome weapons that outperform the Rossi in the two categories the Rossi is trying to address....well the 1911 imo does because of its pound for pound performance not individual round performance. Not trying to sway you just throwing it out there bro but you need a Ruger Gunsight Scout 308 in that scabbard.

In a word...gimmick !

Anything you put into that scabbard would serve you better.

Having said that, if you really like it, go for it. I own a couple of firearms, like my derringer, that I purchased because I wanted one for the collection...and the real old Remington's were too pricey just to say I had one.

Rossignol said:
Hmmm, Gimmicky or a useful tool that has its place?

Rossi Circuit Judge
SCJ4510_1.jpg

I have some questions and ponderings...

It will fire both .410 shells, 2 1/2" and 3" as well as .45 LC. To me, the obvious question is;
Is the barrel rifled?

If so, shotshell performance will suffer.
If not, how will a .45 be stabilized?

I couldnt find the info on the site, but I want one! I'd put a 1907 sling on it and it would ride in my scabbard!

The barrel is rifled just like the taurus judge. No shot shell performance issues in the judge. This is essentially a long barreled judge with a stock.

Sent from Droid Incredible on Verizon Wireless

oli700 said:
If you like it than it has a place for you.....but let me ask, what appeals to you about having something that takes the room of a rifle/carbine buy yet shoots handgun ammo...I like a thing that does double duty but in most cases they never do one thing well but two thing ok. I don’t think the gun is a gimmick but you pack two awesome weapons that outperform the Rossi in the two categories the Rossi is trying to address....well the 1911 imo does because of its pound for pound performance not individual round performance. Not trying to sway you just throwing it out there bro but you need a Ruger Gunsight Scout 308 in that scabbard.

You forget the winchesters in the old west as well as some henrys shot 45 colt. Heck I dont know if Henry ever did but winchester had 44-40 as well. Both 45 colt and 44-40 we are also used in handguns. Whats the difference now adays with the reproduction ones like Uberti, Rossi, etc?

I am aware of all kinds of rifles that shoot handgun cartridges, I just don’t understand why someone would choose to have a rifle that shoots handgun ammo. If I am going to put up with the minuses of a rifle it is at least going to shoot a cartridge with some poop.

tnxdshooter said:
Right I can understand that

My argument on that is that if you go back and look at history you will find that .45 colt and 44-40 killed more men than any other round. Both rounds are kind of slow but hit like freight trains and you can take down big game with them. Granted they dont have the velocity or range of say .308 but they are more than capable. Heck I know someone that hog hunts with a lever action Rossi chambered in .357 they also have one in .45 colt. Both rounds have always dropped hogs in one shot the times I have been with him. I am talking shot em stone dead in their tracks.

I've seen one of these at a local pawn shop and another later at the local Wal-Mart.
Shotshells will always suffer being shot from a rifled barrel. This gun would be fun to shoot .45LC but expensive.

If memory serves me correct a rifle with a rotating cylinder was produced decades ago.

That is correct OldMan !!

The Colt Model 1855 Revolving Carbine...

Colt_carbine.jpg

The U.S. Government had purchased 765 Colt revolving carbines and rifles prior to the Civil War. Many of these were shipped to southern locations and ended up being used by the Confederacy during the U.S. Civil War. After the war began, the Union purchased many more rifles and carbines. Sources disagree over the exact number purchased, but approximately 4,400 to 4,800 were purchased in total over the length of the war.

The Model 1855, which was the most widely produced revolving rifle, was available in .36, .44 and .56 caliber. Four barrel lengths were available: 15, 18, 21 and 24 inches. A six shot cylinder was used if the caliber was .36 or the .44. If the caliber was .56, a five-shot cylinder was used.

The weapon performed superbly in combat, seeing action with the 21st Ohio Volunteer Infantry Union forces at Snodgrass Hill during the Battle of Chickamauga during the American Civil War.

In the 2007 version of 3:10 to Yuma, the Mexican sharpshooter Campos (Rio Alexander) carries a Colt Model 1855 fitted with a full length telescopic sight and converted to fire metallic cartridges.

ColtRevolvingcarbinescope-1.jpg

Lots of replies and opinions! Thanks, I appreciate everyones perspective on this!

I was able to put my hands on one and shoulder it, look at the action and cylinder and all...

I really like it! I know its like a rifle, but a hand gun cartridge. I know there are draw backs. Its not "a rifle" in the sense it has the stability and range of a .308 or .30-06. For me, I can see a use as a pack gun, for shorter ranges. It certainly wouldnt be for long range hunting.

I also think it would be fun for plinkin, although somewhat expensive. It is most definitely rifled, so I really dont think shot would perform well, but I'd try some 00 or 000 for the heck of it!

Primarily, for me, I see it as a pistol cartridge carbine rifle with revolving cylinder for less than $500. Looks like a lot of fun!!! They do have one chambered .45-70 too! ;)

SHOOTER13 said:
That is correct OldMan !!

The Colt Model 1855 Revolving Carbine...

ColtRevolvingcarbinescope-1.jpg

That's it!
Thanks Shooter13! I love history. That long scope make me think of "Doc" when he went back to 1885 in the movei Back To The Future. Lol!

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
^ Examples?

Here is one of many threads on Taurus Revolver issues http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=360180

My personal experience comes from my former Taurus 608, Stainless Steel Ported, 8 shot 357 magnum revolver. The cylinder assembly would work loose all the time and then it would lock up from time to time. This was my "Night Stand" gun. Beautiful revolver, but another case I can't rely on it to do the job when needed. After the 5th lock up, I traded it in at a local shooting range. I've owned the Taurus 608 for about 3-4 years, so it was a long term.

I love the concept of the Taurus Judge, but if I could own that type of revolver in California...I would go for the Smith and Wesson Governor http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...4_750001_750051_769651_-1_757767_757751_image
http://www.tactical-life.com/online/combat-handguns/smith-wesson-governor/

Ok, just curious.

I've owned three of them so far, two got traded off to fund my S&W PC 629. I still have a 905 ss2 and I love that little booger. The cylider fell out of my model 66 in the first week and the model 44 had timing issues right away. I sent them back to Taurus and had them back in a little over a week with the issues resolved free of charge. They're QC can be spotty, but at least their customer service is up to par. Even after the repairs I wouldn't have felt comfortable carrying either of the two that gave me problems.

For all the people worried about rifling in the judges. I have shot 6 inch judges, 2 inch, etc. The groupings were the same. All shots on target with either federal 4 pellet 000 buck and the pdx 1. All out to 25 yards. My dad who used to be a firearms instructor put all four pellets of 000 buck in an ice targets lips from 10 yards. So to say that it affects it drastically is incorrect. It may affect it some especially out to 50 yards or so but not within 25 dramatically.

SoCal and Lazy, thanks for that bit of insight! A conderation for sure.

TNXD, also... thanks for your experiences here. I'm familiar with what happens to shot when fired from a rifled barrel, you get that doughnut shaped pattern

I wonder if it works in the Judge or like handguns because the barrel isnt long enough to substantially affect the shot? Would the longer barrel creat more centrifugal force however to throw the shot further out?

I certainly wouldnt take 50 yard shots with 00 or 000 buck with a gun like this and would def do a lot of patterning to be comfortable with it and know its limitations.

I kinda feel like if it can do 3 to 4 inch patterns at HD ranges and to say 10 yards, thats cool! Its like the defensive shotgun but with a rifled HD barrel sorta that can put a large caliber round down range somewhat. Its compact and shoulders well, it feels real good and has adjustable FO sights with green rear and red front. The model I looked at also had a rail but the FO's were still clearly visible.

Additionally, I think it could be a decent back up.

Maybe I'm romanticizing it...

I think it's pretty cool in and of itself. I think it'd be fun to have as a recreational gun. Charlie Daniels' sent his ranch hand into my LGS and ordered two of them when they first started shipping them. I wonder if he shoots as fast as he plays a fiddle?

Man, for some reason I'm in love with this gun! I really like pistol caliber carbines even if theyre less than efficient... or like Oli said, it will likely never do either of its jobs well, but perform both, "ok".

I think something that draws me to this one is the ease of operation that anyone here can handle. Its a pretty basic mechanical action. A breech load would be easier, but has no capacity...

Back