• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Ruger releasing a 2nd .300Blackout rifle

mikeyboy

Copper BB
Ruger is releasing a Mini in .300Blackout :eek:

http://www.ruger.com/news/2015-04-22.html

http://www.ruger.com/products/mini14TacticalRifle/models.html

When I first got the news I really thought it would be the Gunsite Scout, and pretty much I would finally abandon any tease of eventually buying a Mossberg MVP in .300BLK ...however this news makes me think the Ruger American Ranch is not a one time fluke, that Ruger unlike Mossberg sees the merit & potential in the .300blk caliber, and that a Gunsite Scout is just around the corner.

Come on Mossberg release the .300Blackout MVP you promised years ago. Its what we really want.

As much as I think Ruger to be one of the best and I love my old Mini......$1020 msrp is a little steep for what you get there

what is it about the BLK you like so much ?

What can do with it in a mini that you can't do with it in an AR? I know that may sound like a "loaded question" but it's really not.

Blackout is OK, but it's still too borderline "niche".

Maybe in a few years when you can walk into virtually any gun store and buy both supersonic and subsonic and it's fully stocked on the shelves, I'll probably change my mind. But until then, I'm not biting.

I went there with the 6.8 spc II and while it's a good round, I didn't keep it more than about a year and a half because I consolidated calibers for guns that were chambered in much more common and available rounds and I used the money I got for the 68 to sink into ammo for guns that I already had to stack it deeper.

I have a Mini-30 "scout". Absolutely awesome firearm.

5854_scout_01.jpg

This is a hog hunter by any definition. I have used to take many, many feral hogs out tearing up my fields and pastures in the day and night. I've lost count of how many. The picture looks like it is stainless finish but it was just the camera flash.

hog_mini30_01.jpg

I also do a lot of coyote and bobcat control. I'm in the brush country of South Texas and the heavier bullet offering of the 7.62x39 is a hands down winner here over the 223 for this work. It would be the same with the Blackout.

bobcat_mini30.jpg

If they had had the 300 Blackout at the time, I might have chased after it but I've been more than satisfied with the 7.62x39 and have become quite a fan of the cartridge. I suspect that Ruger has a winner with the Blackout offering.

That cartridge choice makes so much more since to me unless one is totally hung up on being quiet

I've been playing with an 8" BLK , sweet for sure but a specialty as long as 21 cent X39 exists

As much as I think Ruger to be one of the best and I love my old Mini......$1020 msrp is a little steep for what you get there

what is it about the BLK you like so much ?

I gasped seeing the MSRP too, but than noticed its the same MSRP as the current Mini-14 "Tactical" so street price will be around $700 to $750. I'm not a big fan of the current Mini-14 & Mini-30 just because I think it retails for too much money. Just a few years ago you could buy a Mini for $500 or basically around the same price as most AK-47. It was a poor mans AR, but now you can buy some decent AR-15 for $100 less than an a Mini-14. That said I haven't seen too many AR in .300AAC selling for cheaper than $750...however if Ruger keeps going I have no doubt their $600 AR-15 will have a similarly priced .300 version, unless S&W beats them out with an M&P Sport in .300 first

Still the big draw for me is an MVP in .300 Blackout would be a great companion piece to a .300Blackout AR and more and more AR owners are buying .300 uppers or switching to the caliber everyday. An AR-10 or M1a can be expensive, but to switch an AR-15 in 5.56 to .300AAC can cost only $200 for a barrel swap, or $500 to 700 for an upper, or under $1000 for a complete AR in .300AAC. And since .300Blackout is similar in ballistics to 7.62x39, it just enough to hunt Deer and Hog.

While the Ruger Gunsite Scout is an OK rifle, it doesn't take AR mags like the Mossberg MVP. I really rather have a Mossberg MVP in .300blackout.

Most folks build their blackout AR15's because AAC wants astronomical prices for theirs despite the 300 whisper and fireball had existed for years with very little mention except in certain circles.

Olympic Arms had that variant and even Model 1 Sales also had an upper long before AAC hijacked it and basically went through the steps and submitted a minor change and pushed it through SAAMI for standardization and thus AAC/Remington/Cerberus gets the credit for this "awesome" round that had really been around for decades thanks to JD Jones.

Coincidentally, home built blackout AR's can be done in the mid $500 price range for decent quality too, though if you want to buy one, I'm sure you could pay more up to whatever you wanted to spend and then some.

From everything I hear, the supersonic blackout is similar (velocity wise) to the mini 30 in 7.62x39 so between the two (300 blackout or mini-30), I'd rather have the mini 30 due to ammo availability. Although the closest that I have gotten to the mini 30 is a few old Chinese SKS's.

from the little time I have had with the BLK, 125gr is spot on with x39 till about 200 or so then the BLK is faster and actually is a little more efficient than the x39.....I suppose if one reloaded for x39 that would change though

Meh, I went with a Tromix .300 Blk drop in barrel for my MVP and just switch back and forth between the two calibers.

What do you think about the new Ruger precision rifle in 6.5 creedmoor. Looks interesting.

Back