• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Ruger Rifles

Re: Ruger 10/22 Charger

They are different! definitly a departure from what I normally seek out, in the gun shops. I can't say for certain what prompted me to buy it, I guess it looked like it needed a home...LOL

I replaced the Ruger bolt hold open feature and magazine release with Volkquarten parts. Same as on my 10/22. Way more user friendly.

I liked the trimag, it is a well though out and built design. What I like is that it does away with a dangling 25 rounder, that always seem to get in the way. Still its a trade off. Yet one I can live with.

If the weather clears up I'll probably head to the range this weekend. I'll remember to bring my camera this time.

Which color stock for my 10/22

I broke down and bought a 10/22 today. I've already got a scope, bipod and a few 25 round magazines for it. I'm wanting to get a different stock. I like these Revolution Extreme Target Stocks but need to pick a color. I'm leaning towards the gray but the camo is kinda cool.

I'm not looking for anything tacticool for it but if there's another style you like post some pics of it.

Camo
camo.jpg

Gray/Blk/Brown
g-b-b.jpg

Re: Which color stock for my 10/22

I have almost the same stock on my 10/22 in grey/black so I'm partial to that color.

20120711_203656.jpg

It's still a work in progress

Looks good Mike. I've just about talked myself in to the gray/black. You happy with the stock?

Yes. I took it off for a while for a more tactical look, but I have come back to it. It's a little heavy for hunting and such but it's a solid stock with a good feel to it.

I'm currently setting the gun up for my girlfriend. She wants to learn to shoot. What better way then with a good 22.

Your selection might not add that much do to the additional cutouts.

It helped me in shooting as it adds a little heft to an otherwise light gun (mine came with plastic stock from Ruger). When I first put the stock on it I was using the gun more for hunting and it got a little heavy after a day in the field.

I doubt you'll regret the choice regardless of the color you choose.

Ended up getting the gray/black/brown stock. It didn't add much weight at all and is really comfortable. I put a Volquartsen hammer kit in and did the auto bolt release mod to it. The hammer kit dropped the pull down to about 2 lbs. I've got an extended mag release and charging handle on the way for it and still need to mount the bipod. Great little shooter so far.

It's not as brown as it looks in the 1st pic. It's got an overall silver tint that's hard to get to show up. The second pic is crappy but shows the color a little better.

gg2.jpg

22.jpg

It looks good!!

Re: Ruger 10/22 and Mini

I picked up a Ruger 10/22 today at a local gun shop. I was going to get a basic blued w/ wood stock but for only $20 more I took home an all weather model in stainless steel and a synthetic stock. The price was $239. The only changes I plan are to add an adjustable stock (any recomendations?) so it's easy for my boy to shoulder and a red dot. Bring on the plinking! I'll post a picture soon.

Oh yeah, the store was packed. It's Trop's Gun Shop near Elizabethtown, PA. It's not far from Hershey PA or the crapital (not a typo), Harrisburg. It's under new management, was very well stocked and they have a good ammo sale starting soon. I wish it wasn't a 50 minute drive though.

I'm finally getting around to posting some pics of an upgrade I made to my 1994 stainless steel Ranch Rifle. I added a barrel strut from Nest Engineering which was suppose to cut groups by up to half. It cost about $100. Several companies make similar products. I picked Nest because they were the first to make it for the Mini and I think it looks like something that came with the gun. While looks aren't as important as function I think it make it look more like a small M-14.

I tried to do my own test on how it performed. The first picture was a group at 100 yards before the strut, the second is after installing the strut and the third is the strut itself. Both targets were shot with the barrel heated up by 20 rounds. I shot from a bench with the front of the stock supported. The longest time between shots was about 20-30 seconds. I used a borrowed 3x scope too.

530968_4104779581335_164665494_n.jpg

302887_4104779821341_1943958919_n.jpg

481689_4104786461507_1008943581_n.jpg

The pictures showed that it did indeed cut the groups in half. It was easy to install and can be done without modifying the gun unless you choose to dimple the gas block for the set screw (I did). Since removing the scope I have found a nice improvement in my groups with the iron sights too. I'd recommend it as cutting groups in half for $100 seems pretty reasonable.
Here's where I got it: http://www.accu-strut.com/pages/about_nest.htm

Next will be a new gas block bushing with a smaller bore so it doesn't throw brass into the next county anymore. I also read an old report from a Ruger engineer that said the gap between the gas block halves should be even for max accuracy and I notice that mine aren't. The other two items I have read for inexpensive accuracy improvements are a trigger job and adding a flash hider. I have already a flash hider. I just need a longer 3mm spring pin to install it.

Nice work Mike!

Looks like it really did the trick. Thanks for posting...

No problem LES. I hope it helps someone out. There is a ton of Mini 14 stuff over at perfect union but I thought I'd throw it out to the good folks here.

Back