• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Rust in the chamber in another 590A1! *UPDATE WITH PIC*

I have pretty much the same thing on my Mossberg 590A1, but a little worse condition than what is in your pictures.. It was a brand new gun, made in October 2012 according to the box, and I received it in January 2013.

download/file.php?id=2273

I do believe it's rust and not simply some chemical residue. I tried cleaning it with a generous amount of Hoppe's solvent, pretty much let it soak into that affected area for over hour or so and it still wouldn't come off with a brush. I could've sandblasted the affected portion of the barrel or just scrubbed the hell out of it with a copper brush, but then who's to say it won't just come back? 590A1's are pretty expensive for pump shotguns and I don't think it should be up to the consumer to repair a weapon straight out of the box. This is Mossberg's poor QC and so I'm returning the barrel to Mossberg. They are sending me a replacement... made a post about it in the Customer Service Thread elsewhere on this forum.

Yeah its pissing me off...my barrel is with these people now.
Well see... Im calling thursday again.

This is the second 590a1 with the same crap...send them
the pictures and david told me...ita rust!!!

I had one of my 590a1 come that way last year just like the pics. I just took it home and cleaned it fully and had a great range session that weekend and cleaned it after and it was gone. I thought it was rust at first but After 1700 rounds haven't seen anything since then. YMMV.

Comarade said:
I have pretty much the same thing on my Mossberg 590A1, but a little worse condition than what is in your pictures.. It was a brand new gun, made in October 2012 according to the box, and I received it in January 2013.

download/file.php?id=2273

I do believe it's rust and not simply some chemical residue. I tried cleaning it with a generous amount of Hoppe's solvent, pretty much let it soak into that affected area for over hour or so and it still wouldn't come off with a brush. I could've sandblasted the affected portion of the barrel or just scrubbed the hell out of it with a copper brush, but then who's to say it won't just come back? 590A1's are pretty expensive for pump shotguns and I don't think it should be up to the consumer to repair a weapon straight out of the box. This is Mossberg's poor QC and so I'm returning the barrel to Mossberg. They are sending me a replacement... made a post about it in the Customer Service Thread elsewhere on this forum.

So I took the shotgun out to the range this weekend while I wait for Mossberg to send me the new barrel, and put about 90 rounds through it (my shoulder hates me right now lol). It was a combination of cheap Federal #8 target loads, high brass Winchester #6 game loads and high power Federal 1oz. slugs. Thoroughly cleaned it afterwards. The very rough, bulging rust was blasted off, but the surface area beneath is still discolored with corrosion and wasn't able to clean off with some vigorous scrubbing with a rough brush, so that just tells me the corrosion has penetrated fairly deeply into the metal.

The shotgun still shot great, the action cycles alot smoother now after shooting all those rounds through it. Can't wait until Mossberg finally sends me a good barrel :)

I had to put the gun down a couple of times to let it cool off. Don't want to put a heat shield on this thing, it's heavy enough as it is lol. Fun stuff :)

Still waiting to hear more from Mossberg. They haven't sent me the second shipping label via e-mail yet, but they did give me a Sales Order # to reference... so it's in process at least.

Mossberg has been crazy busy the last couple months, but I'm sure they'll get it processed and out to you before long...

Picked my new A1 yesterday. It has the same "rust" spot. I will hopefully make it to the range Sunday and see if it comes off after firing the 50 rounds I picked up and a good cleaning. (2 actually, 1 before as reccommended by you guys, and 1 after). I'll update afterwards. Hoping I don't have to send the barrel in.

[attachment=0]clean_poster.jpg[/attachment

Tom,,,,,shoot it,,,,clean it. all good. :)

Attachments

• clean_poster.jpg
    clean_poster.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 269
Nice....love how my thread got jacked!!!!!
As for my sh#t......I'm still waiting, these people are a damn joke! I'm gonna wind up calling and talking
to javier.
Im sick of this crap!

Yeah it's pretty frustrating. It wasn't until the 2nd replacement barrel that I got something I was satisfied with.

Keep trying and remember to be polite to the customer service staff. They are probably getting paid minimum wage and are used to people calling in pissed off. I dealt with David and he took good care of me.

Comarade said:
Yeah it's pretty frustrating. It wasn't until the 2nd replacement barrel that I got something I was satisfied with.

Keep trying and remember to be polite to the customer service staff. They are probably getting paid minimum wage and are used to people calling in pissed off. I dealt with David and he took good care of me.
Yeah....he was great the last shotgun, but this time....i feel like he is full of crap.

Got my barrel back after........along wait, to only open it up to find the same damn problem!!!
I'm so pissed off it aint funny.
Wait till monday.......

LUGI said:
Got my barrel back after........along wait, to only open it up to find the same damn problem!!!
I'm so pissed off it aint funny.
Wait till monday.......
So let me get this straight u have people on this forum telling it is not rust and from looking at the pictures I agree it is not rust. Then you have others telling you there barrel came with the same marks and it went away with shooting. And top of that mossberg sends you a brand new barrel and it has the same issue and you still think it is rust.... I would be pissed too sounds like u need to shoot it or give it a good soaking and then shoot it I would bet it would go away some.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Back