• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

SA-20 Bolt release button upgrade?

Ski228

.22LR
Has anyone upgraded their bolt release button? The one on our SA-20 is really stiff. My 13 year old daughter has a tough time depressing it. I had a gunsmith at our Skeet and Trap club look at it. He tried lightening the spring, but its still kind of still for her. I contacted Mossberg customer service, they are mailing me a new spring. I asked about button upgrades something of a bigger button, she wasn't aware of anything the company carried.
I was hoping that maybe one of you knew of a good after market upgrade. Thanks in advance.

Does it use the same button as the 930?

RoseActionBarrel_001_zpsfx7d2hf9.jpg

I use the OR3GUN button and I like it a lot. It just attaches over the OEM button ans is held on place by a set screw.

Does it use the same button as the 930?

RoseActionBarrel_001_zpsfx7d2hf9.jpg

I use the OR3GUN button and I like it a lot. It just attaches over the OEM button ans is held on place by a set screw.
I don't think so. The 930 looks to have a bigger stock button then the SA20 . The SA-20 is a small smoother button

I did what you are looking to do. Was not an upgrade but a modification. I put an enhanced button lever from a benelli on the regular button. I had to drill and tap the original button for a 6-40 screw and it turns out there is not much metal to thread. I flattened the original button a little with a file to make a flat surface on a slight angle and a little off center.
I posted a thread a while ago and Bobster helped me out with a video about removing the parts.
It works great but this is not something I can recommend because of the thin metal. A gunsmith could do it. I am trying to find someone who could precisely weld some extra metal on the top of the button before I file it to get a few more threads in.
I am afraid the threads are going to pull out although I have had it in about 12-15 rapid fire steel and 3 gun matches so far with no problems. Knock wood

See if you can find the link below. I do not know how to reference another thread.

Mossberg should make this standard. Especially since mostly younger shooters use this gun.

Removal of SA-20 Bolt release button assembly

I did what you are looking to do. Was not an upgrade but a modification. I put an enhanced button lever from a benelli on the regular button. I had to drill and tap the original button for a 6-40 screw and it turns out there is not much metal to thread. I flattened the original button a little with a file to make a flat surface on a slight angle and a little off center.
I posted a thread a while ago and Bobster helped me out with a video about removing the parts.
It works great but this is not something I can recommend because of the thin metal. A gunsmith could do it. I am trying to find someone who could precisely weld some extra metal on the top of the button before I file it to get a few more threads in.
I am afraid the threads are going to pull out although I have had it in about 12-15 rapid fire steel and 3 gun matches so far with no problems. Knock wood

See if you can find the link below. I do not know how to reference another thread.

Mossberg should make this standard. Especially since mostly younger shooters use this gun.

Removal of SA-20 Bolt release button assembly
Sounds good BrianJ. I will see if I can find the thread. Thanks for the reply.
I agree Mossberg should do something, but its almost like they don't even want to acknowledge that the gun is theirs. When I called the Rep was helpful, but seemed quick to want to get off the phone. And they don't list anything on their website. The 500 and the 930 seems to be their pride and joy.
The gunsmith I took it to here, put a little extra metal on it. I think silver solder. And then textured the metal so my daughter could get a better grip on the button. But it really just need to be bigger.
Thanks again.

Found a button on eBay. Easy to install. I drilled and tapped the existing button and it worked great.
We'll test it tomorrow on the range.
Unfortunately, I can't attach a pic from my phone.

Found a button on eBay. Easy to install. I drilled and tapped the existing button and it worked great.
We'll test it tomorrow on the range.
Unfortunately, I can't attach a pic from my phone.

How about attaching a link to the listing? (the "chain" symbol above) Thanks...

Here are some pics

Attachments

• IMG_2442.jpg
    IMG_2442.jpg
    339.3 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2445.jpg
    IMG_2445.jpg
    321 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2446.jpg
    IMG_2446.jpg
    517.4 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2447.jpg
    IMG_2447.jpg
    845.1 KB · Views: 19
Now all we have to do is to get Mossberg to institute a change in the design and offer it as a part. No big deal, first we'll just knock out that little peace in the Middle East thing and then get right on this.

Back