• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

SA-20 Cyber Monday Order

taroman

Copper BB
My club has shotgun matches where we shoot plates, bowling pins and clays at 25 yards. Mano a mano speed game.
Been shooting this with a Mossberg 500 with extra full choke tube. Added clamp on sights to the rib.

Been thinking about a semi-auto when I spotted this yesterday. Only 1 left, so I jumped on it.
sa20.jpg

The ghost ring sights caught my attention. Obviously a cylinder bore, so will need to get it threaded.
From what I've read here, the early issues with this model seem to have been rectified.
Biggest concern is loading it quickly.
Hasn't shipped, so time will tell..

I have run my SA-20 in several steel, 3 gun and 2 gun matches for 2 years with only 1 double feed in my last match. I did have a slam fire last year when we think the firing pin retaining pin came loose and jammed the firing pin forward and it slam fired. Maverick Arms (Mossberg) fixed it immediately and no problems since.
I have made some mods to mine. Mike Orlen in NH threaded for IC and IM extended Trulock Win chokes Precision Hunter chokes. Choate +2 mag tube extension (requires filing the mag tube) wolff mag spring worked better than Choate. Not sure why. , opened up the bottom mag loading port a little, added a Taran Tactical bolt release lever to the bolt button (these mods will probably void your warranty) that greatly improve loading and bolt closing.
Again, the mods I have made will likely void the warranty but it never fails to take down the targets, even big steel. Now if I could just learn to shoot faster...Too old.
I use Winchester AA 7/8 oz 7.5 and 8 shot @1300 fps and AA 1oz 7.5 and 8 shot @1165 or 1200 fps
Winchester Super X 1 oz 1165 fps.
Rio #1 buck shot (bowling pins)
Federal 3/4 oz rifled slugs. 25 - 50 yards
I posted some pics in another thread.
"Removal of SA-20 Bolt release button assembly"
Great gun. Have fun and be safe.

Thanks, Brian. What you describe is essentially what I want.
For loading 2s, a 6 round mag tube, checked with the local 'smiths and they're not set up to do 20 gauge chokes. Will try to contact Orlen if hes still in business.

Latest information I had on him. Good luck

Mike Orlen, 79 Salem Street, Amherst, MA 01002

Phone: (413) 256-1630 Fax: (413) 253-5665

michael.orlen@verizon.net

I tried loading deuces and couldn't quite get it. I'll try over the winter.
Getting shell caddys for the 20 ga is difficult.

Thanks, Brian. My little shotty should arrive Thursday, so will contact Mike.

Also, would appreciate details of how you have relieved the loading port area.
Did some of this on my 500, which did help.
Been loading shells from my coat pocket (!) so just ordered a TACCOM 6-shell holder.

Back