• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Sabot slug for 535

MossyMatt

Copper BB
Just bought my 535 for a week long hunting trip in taking to Indiana in November...... What brand sabot slug should I use/purchase?

Hello and welcome to MO! Sayin hi here but I have no experience with sabots.

Welcome to the forum from Florida and congrats on your new Mossy.

Welcome from MI.

I have been using Hornady SST's. The best answer to your question is to buy a box each of several different brands and fine tune whichever one provides the best groups.

Welcome from MI.

I have been using Hornady SST's. The best answer to your question is to buy a box each of several different brands and fine tune whichever one provides the best groups.

X2 to this. It's no different than finding the right load for a rifle. For me I couldn't get faster slugs to group. Out of my 24" fully rifled/vented barrel Hornady SST and Remington Core-Lokt only did 14" at 50 yards(noted a keyhole but unsure which brand). I'm really fond of Hornady ammunition and bullets as they work well in every other firearm I own AND the Remingtons, another quality brand, didn't work either so I thought for sure something was wrong with my barrel. Got mad and bought a "cheap" box of Winchester BRI sabot slugs to blast through it and was amazed that suddenly the same gun was down to 5" at 100 yards from a picnic table without sand bags. I still bad a box of SST left and took another 2 at a milk jug at 50 yards both missed. Winchester, right through the center. I still shake my head at this but, for my gun, the slower winchesters work well.

I was talking to a gunsmith at Williams Gun Site a while back and we coversd the topic of slug guns. When I told him I was getting good groups with SST's he laughed and said I was very lucky. Apparently they have a lot of trouble getting SST's to group with most barrels. That was the first I had heard of issues but if anyone would know it would be a gunsmith at a gun range.

I was talking to a gunsmith at Williams Gun Site a while back and we coversd the topic of slug guns. When I told him I was getting good groups with SST's he laughed and said I was very lucky. Apparently they have a lot of trouble getting SST's to group with most barrels. That was the first I had heard of issues but if anyone would know it would be a gunsmith at a gun range.

I'm certainly no expert but it appeared to me, from the sabots I recovered, that they were shearing across the rifling instead of engaging it. The slower slugs seemed to engage the rifling instead of shear. There were good rifle marks on the sabots from around the winchester slugs but the sabots from the SST and Core Lokt had lateral marks. Keyholing at 50 yards also indicated that this is what was going on. Ask that gunsmith if he sees any correlation between twist rate and SST groups. A little less twist might be the key to stabilizing the faster slugs.

Less powder means that you're not pushing that heavy slug so hard against the rifling, and the rifling has a chance to engrave the slug rather than to shave the slug.

Back