• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Savage Model 64

Bathrobeman

.270 WIN
The Savage Model 64 is probably one of the best bangs for buck out there in the shooting world. It’s light, accurate, and it costs a little over $100. I bought one in the late 90’s when I was 16. It was rode hard and put up wet and it finally crapped out on me about two years ago. I decided to get another about six months ago and it cost about the same as it did 22 years ago. You can attach a sling to the new model which is nice.
I haven’t gotten a whole lot of chances to shoot it but so far so good. I’ve been played with this one to see if I could make any improvements to the not so good trigger. The oem trigger is ok, but it’s a “$100 .22 trigger” if you know what I mean. I was able get the pull weight under 2 lbs. I didn’t do a before test because I didn’t have a way to measure it, but MCARBO says oem is 5.5 lbs.
Anywho, don’t fear the low price tag, it’ll be good to you.
The first video is using a stock trigger return spring that has a few coils removed. The second video is using a spring from an ink pen for the trigger return.

I have a similar model 60 and I lucked out and got one with a really nice trigger. If I didn’t own a Mossberg, the Savage would be my favorite .22. The Mossberg has a much nicer stock but I think the Savage possibly is more accurate.

I have a similar model 60 and I lucked out and got one with a really nice trigger. If I didn’t own a Mossberg, the Savage would be my favorite .22. The Mossberg has a much nicer stock but I think the Savage possibly is more accurate.
The model 60 is a Marlin? My buddy in high school had the tube fed marlin. I’d take my Savage and he’d have his and we’d go tromp around the pastures. The savage only has a ten round mag so I was always having to stop and reload more often.

(I am old and own so many guns I cannot remember what they all are. I guess a guy could have worse problems…)

@Bathrobeman You are right. My model 60 is a Marlin. My only Savage semi is a “gill gun”. Tube feed, open bolt type action. I would have to go look in the safe to see the model number though. Very fast, accurate, and fun to shoot. The seer on mine hasn’t worn off yet, but once it does these go full auto.

I have at least 3 Savage .22s and two shotguns, and I could not tell you the model numbers off the top of my head.

Clearly I need to get out and shoot them! I’ve become far too involved in other “homebody” hobbies since all the lockdown BS.

Why has no company made an extended 20 round or rotary type magazine for the Savage Model 64 and its variants?
Man, I dunno. Not enough customers? A higher capacity mag would be nice. Ten goes by pretty quick and they aren’t the easiest magazines to mess with either. This go round I bought a few more 10 rounders and I got a shotgun shell sleeve and fashioned it into a spare mag holder.
Try the Bathrobeman trigger job, it’s pretty good. :thumbsup:

Attachments

• 06BB38A2-D17C-4151-BF00-03865A07A46F.jpeg
    06BB38A2-D17C-4151-BF00-03865A07A46F.jpeg
    383.4 KB · Views: 2
Well I went and shot it today. The was the first time that I actually shot it since the “trigger job.” I’m out of practice but all in all it went well. I shot it 50 yds mainly, but I tried it a couple of times at 100 yds. I didn’t do all that well at 100, but I didn’t shoot it enough to find “zero” on my scope at that distance. The “zero” at 50 yds is about “3” on my scope and to get anywhere close at 100 yds I had to turn it to around 13. There was an 18 mph cross wind as well, for whatever that’s worth.
The crappier one of course is the 100 yds. This is with a 4x32 scope.

Attachments

• B506744F-ABF2-4830-9760-A79861F8A5AA.jpeg
    B506744F-ABF2-4830-9760-A79861F8A5AA.jpeg
    277.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 95D2C3B0-1700-415A-A7FE-B93C57CA2BEE.jpeg
    95D2C3B0-1700-415A-A7FE-B93C57CA2BEE.jpeg
    330.2 KB · Views: 1
(I am old and own so many guns I cannot remember what they all are. I guess a guy could have worse problems…)

@Bathrobeman You are right. My model 60 is a Marlin. My only Savage semi is a “gill gun”. Tube feed, open bolt type action. I would have to go look in the safe to see the model number though. Very fast, accurate, and fun to shoot. The seer on mine hasn’t worn off yet, but once it does these go full auto.

I have at least 3 Savage .22s and two shotguns, and I could not tell you the model numbers off the top of my head.

Clearly I need to get out and shoot them! I’ve become far too involved in other “homebody” hobbies since all the lockdown BS.

Cadd, I have a gill gun myself. I picked it up at the Wannemacher 3 years ago and have not even shot it yet.

Back