• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Savage Stevens pump gun dang it.

Looks like you got 'er dialed in.

Well done. On all accounts.

Getting a steal, swapping the sights, dialing it in.

One comment on the other chokes, in all fairness, I don't think I'd try an extra full turkey choke with a slug. Most companies will tell you up front that they're too tight for slugs.[

Oh no doubt id def never try a slug in a turkey tube. Heck i wont even use one i a full tube. Though i have fired some 410 slugs thru a full 410 bore. I think im probably done as far as the slugs go i just wanted to see if it would be hunt capable with a standard tube or if id have to try a rifle tube. I think its totally satisfactory for cruising thick stuff up close.

my wal mart has these at $147, i have a maverick 88 field model and was wanting a shorter barrel and i have an idea. since a home defense barrel for the maverick is $100 or so i may get the savage, cut the barrel, install a set of sights. then i'll have a gun for field and home. if i try to order a maverick 88 18.5 inch barrel it will cost $250 at wal mart even tho the field model is $200.

my wal mart has these at $147, i have a maverick 88 field model and was wanting a shorter barrel and i have an idea. since a home defense barrel for the maverick is $100 or so i may get the savage, cut the barrel, install a set of sights. then i'll have a gun for field and home. if i try to order a maverick 88 18.5 inch barrel it will cost $250 at wal mart even tho the field model is $200.
Well so far i can say like this shotgun. Ive actually been carrying it in woods quite abit last couple weeks im appreciating its small size and ruggedness no worrys of scratching up a nicer looking gun. I have actually made it a permanent fixture in the tool box of my pickup with an assortment of shells to handle whatever i need it for. I would have to say id probably not cut it down its pretty handy in its current config with the youth stock and 22" barrel. Plys you would loose the screw in choke options which is a nice feature id not trade that for 3 1/2 inch length savings. Also the williams firesights ghostvring were worth every penny and all the install aggravation i had with poor eyesight and fat fingers. They actually have another one in rack at Walmart in enterprise for same as you saw 147 im seriously considering grabbing a second one. I think youd be very well equipped with it in a home defense shotty plus have a back up field gun for everything from squirrel to deer. Also dont forget a comfy sling.

the one at my wal mart is the adult model with 28" barrel
Ah 10-4 i see. Chop away brother make it fit your needs. I dont see any downside at 147 bucs base price. If you do go the HD route several threads ive read say win 1300 side saddles fit too.

Glad it's working out for you.

I always liked the 1300 series of shotguns.

And in reality, there is no real purpose to add long barrels on shotguns with modern gunpowders being the way they are. You really don't gain anything by it, and the shorter barrels can shoot just as well as the long ones.

Unless of course you're loading with slow burning black powder.

Ole @Elbert Garrett in the barn thread this morning motivated me to look at something today. I didnt buy this for HD but it could serve that purpose if needed no problem for someone. What i was curious about was the choke difference. So i did a quick test in backyard. This gun has a 22" barrel prrtty good compromise for an all around gun it seems so far. The only 20 bore buckshot i have on hand is #3 buck. I placed a poster board with a 4" circle at 21feet. Fired one shell with the IC choke and then one with a full choke. Basically the cylinder side pattern was 7.5 inches and the full choke was right at 6" at that distance either plenty effective. While the extreme spreads were only 1.5 inch difference i did see the full choke was obviously more "concentrated" for lack of a better word. Anyhow enjoy.
Il try patterning some birdshot soon.20170915_121935.jpg

Heres two more im out of posterboard. First up the Xfull turkey choke at 30 yards no i have to preface i did not have a new fangled unobtanium turkey load to try best i could scrounge up here at house was a basic #6 what the heck let it rip. Dead turkey id surmise.20170915_134154.jpg
Next up just a cheap low brass 7 1/2 birdshot at 30 yards with the modified choke. 20170915_134705.jpg
In addition to its original purpose chucking slugs in thick stuff that should also handle most small game and flying object needs within reason.
This was a good purchase and the reason this "multitool" lives in my toolbox now with a wide assortment of shells. 1505502155266493795452.jpg

Last edited:
Hey quick tip of the day if you ever need a field expedient target stand. Those dadgum signs they leave stuck on every corner advertising this and that. Are priced right and a poster board staples right to em. I grabbed this one off corner advertising the rodeo in Andalusia from July ! Figured they were done with it.

Conclusion i finally used the savage to harvest a pig. I went to one of the shotgun only areas this afternoon that everyone else has been avoiding all week. I set up a pop up blind near some prrtty good hog sign. Not even an hour latter spotted movement but it was farther than i was comfortable and flippin thick brush and trees. I actually slipped out of blind and crept closer. I realized there was 5 pigs and really wished i had Ar. Anyhow i picked out this nice lil piggy and did my best to aim thru all the brush and trees basically shooting thru a screen door at 50 yards. My shot was no where near where i wanted it to be but the 7/8 federal slug did its job. I was actually mad at first when i fired pigs ran of course including the one i shot at first thouggt i missed. But when i eased over saw it laying about 30 yards away. Im used to watching hogs just drop with a brain or neck shot. Im calling this lucky shot was way low and pretty far back. 20171006_175053.jpg Anyway mission accomplished for my shotgun thats easily a lost unretrieved pig with a different caliber then again different gun more accurate then again would my favorite little bullets have made it thru all the brush twigs briars and such ? Who knows ? Anyway il be keeping this pig whole and smoking next week at my buddys new house for a house warming get together.

Cavity full of blood sure helps in the butchering process! That pig will be absolutely delicious and tender and juicy!

Pics of a whole smoked pig when you get done, please. :)

Cavity full of blood sure helps in the butchering process! That pig will be absolutely delicious and tender and juicy!

Pics of a whole smoked pig when you get done, please. :)
Will do buddy. I feel lucky on this one. That shot was all liver and my experience with liver shot animals has not been favorable usually a long tough track job with slow death. Apparently a fat slug through one though is pretty effective. I shot and immediately walked in it was stone dead. I guess the shear amount of kinetic energy a slug dumps there was also some lung damage im guessing from bone fragments.

I noticed you mentioned that you weren't entirely happy with aim/shot placement, but I also noticed that you still haven't scoped this shotgun yet. That may make all the difference in the world on the next shot.

Anyway, I still think you did good, and the gun did what it was supposed to do.

That's a win all day long and twice on sunday.

I also saw one of these at my local walmart recently. Price tag was $147 I think.

The action was pretty rough and gritty feeling, but I think that would probably smooth out a lot with some use.

I noticed you mentioned that you weren't entirely happy with aim/shot placement, but I also noticed that you still haven't scoped this shotgun yet. That may make all the difference in the world on the next shot.

Anyway, I still think you did good, and the gun did what it was supposed to do.

That's a win all day long and twice on sunday.

I also saw one of these at my local walmart recently. Price tag was $147 I think.

The action was pretty rough and gritty feeling, but I think that would probably smooth out a lot with some use.
Im not gonna put scope on it the williams sights helped alot. I decided keep more versatile. As for action it was rough as a cob i did some heavy clean up on it and its getting better feeling after i got all the goo out and gave it some slp 2000 fired 50 rounds of bird shot and about 20 slugs disassmbled cleaned again then used some light red grease on sliding parts it doesnt feel like same gun.

I figured it would smooth out with some use.

Glad that you could confirm that it did.

Well that's a pretty good take for such an inexpensive gun & that just goes to show that it's not the cost of the equipment that makes the biggest difference. The guy behind the trigger is the most important part by several orders of magnitude.

I took friend to range on Sunday to let her do some shooting. After all done i thought about the shotgun in tool box. The shot placement on pig had been nagging me. I decided to take a couple shots to see what i got. I went for broke and took target out to the 90 meter line thats about 100yards. Two shots on target the little shotty does what it should that target circle is about 5 inches i think. Il have to say misplaced shot on pig was all me. Ps those are just cheap federal 2 3/4 rifled slugs in bulk pack from wally wolrd pretty inexpensive. 20171024_131500.jpg

Yeah DJ it's all about the man behind the trigger.

Nice shootin' there.

I'll see if my 16 gauge can do that when I get it all put together. It's kind of a future project. Earlier I said that it was a winter project but I didn't specify which winter & it's probably not going to be this one. ;)

Back