• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Scabbard Buttstock Cover Completed!

josixpack

Copper BB
I really like rile scabbards and just ordered the NcStar for my Mossberg 590. However, I live in Illinois where I cannot transport my shotgun legally in a scabbard as it needs to be completed enclosed in a case. So, I was thinking of adding something to cover the buttstock, which could be removed easily once I get to my shooting area.

Has anyone tried to add something to a scabbard to enclose the butt stock? I understand that defeats the purpose of a scabbard but would make it legal to transport in Illinois.

I was thinking of cutting down a cheap $8.99 nylon case from Walmart and sliding it over the buttstock and attaching it to the Molle straps or possible a buckle of some sort. I do have some sewing skills!

I am envisioning something like this.

scabbardcovered.jpg

Completed my NcStar scabbard buttstock cover. It works well just a little big. I got lucky that the case I used the Walmart Allen universal gun case has the nylon handle sewed along the sides double stitched at the top and bottom. I removed the threading in-between the double stich so the molle straps go under that and snap shut securing it to the scabbard. Other then that I just cut in case an inch past the nylon handle strap, removed some of the padding and folded the nylon back in.

scabbard1.png

scabbard2.png

scabbard3.png

scabbard4.png

I really appreciate it when people can use their ingenuity to overcome obstacles.

Necessity is the mother of invention.

Well done on that case.

Thanks! It’s been working well. However I made the mistake of trying to slide the gun in with a light on the siderail. It went in but wasn’t coming out with out ripping the lining. I just have to be a little careful pulling it out now as the front sight tends to get hung up.

Back