• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Scared the crap out of me.

Expat_PM

.270 WIN
Okay, so last night I'm laying in bed listening to talk radio. Must have been about 3:30 or 4:00.
I heard the top step squeak right outside my room. :shock:

I sat up and just went into that mode automatically.
I keep .45 under the mattress on my side of the bed so my hand went for that immediately.

I knew my wife and springer were both accounted for - I could hear both of them breathing (actually the dog snores so that was easy).

I walked the 18 or 20 feet to my sons' room and they were both in bed asleep.

I thought, "oh crap. The BG is up here with us and I have no idea how many there are or where he went." That was what scared the crap out of me.

So i made a really quick sweep of the upstairs and all was quiet and normal.
I slipped down the steps - avoiding those two steps that I know squeak and scanned around as far as I could see without putting myself in a fatal funnel in the doorway.

I keep my new 500 in the closet right at the foot of the steps - Thank MO, y'all sold me on buying the 500 with the 6 position stock - sweet piece of gear!

I was sure they were still in the house cause I hadn't heard either door open and close since I was alerted - older house and you can't open or shut either of the three doors silently.

I thought, "Well, let's make them feel like crapping too!"

I said in a loud voice, "Don't screw around with me!" and racked the pump on that 500 nice and loud! Not a peep. :evil:

I made a quick sweep of the downstairs, checked doors and windows and came up empty.

So I went and put the pump away, put on some pants and warm socks and ate breakfast - with way too many lights turned on.

About an hour and a half ago I was sitting here talking to my brother on FB and heard the heat come downstairs where I'm working (two story, I'm in the kitchen). In about 3 or 4 minutes a piece of duct work that runs through a wall and right by my bedroom door upstairs made a squeaky sound (remember, it's an older house) that sounded just like the top step squeaking!

True story! :oops:

I'm thankful that it was just the ductwork.

I've heard bumps in the night before too, and it is very un-nerving to say the least.

What bugs me the most is when my wife wakes me up and says she heard something.

That usually leaves me guessing what it was and where it was coming from. Those times bug me worse than when I hear something because I don't know what I'm getting into.

I just thought it was one of my sons up walking around for God only knows what. When I saw that they were both racked out asleep I got more than a little wobbly for a second there.

But the thought that some BG was in our house gonna hurt my family toughened me up VERY quickly.

Now, I feel like a dope :)

Been there, living in a apartment makes it worse I woke up early one morning to what sounded like someone was in our apartment swept the whole place nothing. So im awake at this point I stay up start to get ready for work turns out the some one was in the basement right under us in their storage locker at 4:30 in the am why you need to be down there at 4:30 i'll never know. I too felt like a dope but its better to know your family is safe and feel like a dope than have something happen and wonder what if I would have checked.

DroidX Tapatalk

Sounds to me you handled it well enough...glad all went well...now chalk it up as a lesson learned, and put that dog outside your room as an early warning system. Make him earn that chow...

SHOOTER13 said:
Sounds to me you handled it well enough...glad all went well...now chalk it up as a lesson learned, and put that dog outside your room as an early warning system. Make him earn that chow...

Should put him on the front porch. His snoring will scare off any would be BG :D

I had a similar thing happen to me. I had went next door to my Dad's bodyshop to dump trash and left the front door unlocked. I live in the country so I did not see the need to lock it and was going to be gone like 5 minutes. When I got back in the house, I was standing in the kitchen and heard the closet door shut in my bedroom upstairs, which was right above my head. I looked down at the cat and she was looking up at the ceiling like she had heard it too.
Well, at the time I kept all my defensive weapons up there. There were 4 handguns, a Mossy 590, and a Polytech AKS Underfolder under the bed, all loaded. Needless to say, I was not real keen on walking up there! :shock:
I went into the spare room where I kept my hunting guns and the only thing I could scrounge up was a pump 20 gauge with a scoped 24" deer barrel and 3 slugs! :lol:
I started up the stairs and there is this blind landing that turns 90 deg to the left. I peek around and see nothing, but can hear movement in the room. The bedroom is on the right at the end of the landing with another bedroom directly across from it. Not a place that I would want to try to push a long shotgun through.
So, I retreat downstairs and barricade myself behind the couch in the back of the house and call 911. The Sheriff's Dept. rolls 3 units, but they are at the north end of the county and I am at the south end, so even running Signal 10 it was gonna be like 10 minutes.
Then my Dad knocks on the front door, CRAP! Now I have to go through the house because, in my mind, I have a BG between me and my Dad. The 911 operator is telling me not to open the door, but I can see it is my Dad. I open the door and he sees the shotgun and the phone and asks what is wrong, I tell him there is someone upstairs and that Sheriff Deputies are on the way. He says, "Give me the shotgun." Dad is a former Sheriff's Deputy himself so I figured he could handle the shotgun while I stayed on the line with the 911 dispatcher.
Out the front door we go and Dad gets behind a tree in the front yard and I go around back to see if any one goes out the back.
The Sheriff's Deputies show up, 2 from the east and 1 from the west. I had passed on to the 911 operator that my Dad now had the shotgun and where he was so when the Deputies got there they would know where Dad was and that he was armed.
I went up to the front and talked to the Deputies and told them a basic layout of the house and warned them that they were going up a blind stairway and the entrance to the bedroom was on the right with another room directly across from it. I told them about the guns, where they were and that they were loaded. I was scared for them because the stairway would not allow for 2 men standing side by side. I could visualize one of them getting shot in the back with that AK which was loaded with steel core ammo. No vest was gonna stop that.
Without further hesitation, the Deputies enter the house and my Dad and I go went back to our postions. About 15 minutes later, they came back out and said that the only thing they had found was the cat under the bed with the guns. All the guns were accounted for and no BG.
WTF?! :shock: I know I heard a door close and movement in the room.
After apologizing for like 100 times and after talking with the Deputies for awhile they all assured me that there were no worries and that I had done the right thing by calling 911.
I learned a few things that day. I learned that you should never have all your defensive guns in one spot. If you have a 2 story home, keep at least one secured downstairs where you can easily access it.
Practice clearing your home with a designated HD weapon. This could have easily taken place at night when turning on a bunch of lights is not the best idea and you are going to secure your children.
And lastly, when barricading yourself against a potentially well armed intruder inside your home and the back door is only six feet away, forget barricading, get out of the house! :oops: :oops: :oops:

Back in 1999 I had done a double shift guarding a inmate at the hospital, got home put my son in his bed who was sleeping with his mother. I had talked to her for a few minutes while sitting at the foot of the bed, and dozed of to sleep. I awoke to loud noises in the kitchen, still in uniform I went to my son's room and he's not in bed. The house is pitch dark I saw what seemed to be a light from a flashlight coming from the kitchen and dining room area. I drew my service weapon thinking some sob was trying to kidnap my son and entered the kitchen only to find him in the floor with a metal bowl with eggs, milk, and flower with a flashlight. I asked him what in the world was he doing, and replied he was hungry and wanted some pancakes to eat. My now ex-wife who still works as a district court commissioner and myself has received threats on our family and I thougt someone had acted on one. At that time all fear had left and the only thing I had on my mind was whoever was in my house was not leaving with a pulse and not with my son. The next day a call was placed to install a alarm system and I installed motion sensor lights at both doors along with double sided keyed deadbolt locks.

funny thing about dogs.
they know every noise your house and neighbors regularly make.
Mine sleeps above my head most of the time. my house makes its own noises, but when something moves around outside, she starts a low growl. Just enough to get your attention. Just lay there and listen for a few minutes see whats going on, go back to sleep.

Back