• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

SCCY CPX1 Stay Tuned

Local gun store is asking $275. for a CPX 2.
Tou want the CPX2! I had heard some negatives about the safety on the CPX1, and just today got some experience with it. One of my students bought a CPX1, and was at the range today...bless her heart with 200 rounds of ammo to practice with...she listened! Anyway I shot her weapon. With my big mits that safety can engage too easy on recoil. She will be fine...me...nope.

I settled on Double Tap 77grain Lead Free HP rounds to keep loaded for defense. I shot some today over a chrono. Was seeing an average of 1535 fps at 8" from the muzzle. Good expansion in the gel at 15 meters. Big wound channel. Makes this .45 ACP guy smile.

I was reading the same thing about the safety problem. I'm going with the CPX2.

Thank you.

Have now stowed one in a Molle Holster attached to my "fight my way home" pack. Got one in the kite trailer. One in the kite van, and one in the Jeep. Will put one in my "day planner" case, and one in the Road Glide lower fairing...left side.

Here is something important for you to check out on your CPX's. I have had one for about 5 years so the current ones I believe have fixed what was a big problem (IMO), one problem that prevented me from ever using my CPX anywhere outside of a range for practice and fun.

It all has to do with the design of the extractor. Original extractors were shaped in a way that prevented the extractor from being able to lift over the shell on a cartridge that was in the barrel. So let's say you have a type 1 malf (failure to extract), corrective action to get back in the fight is the slap, rack, and asses the situation. Problem is when you rack the slide the extractor will but up against the end of the shell and the extractor will never lift over the edge and grab the shell for extraction. In other words the slide will never go back into battery, there will be a visible air gap between the breech and end of the shell. So in other words the way to remove a shell from the barrel is to push a pencil down the muzzle end to dislodge the shell or if you have tiny fingers and fingernails you might be able to fish out the shell from the chamber.

I called the SCCY armorer years ago and he said that was correct and a redesigned extractor in the future will fix that issue. Fast forward to October 2016, I call SCCY and ask about the upgraded extractor. Awesome CS, the armorer ask for serial number and my address and ships me a complete slide with sights, barrel, extractor, etc. and tells me to swap out the slides and return the old one. Here is the swap. The original slide is below, the new design is the top shiny slide.

It is say for you to check if you have an old or new extractor. Get a snap cap or shell casing and put it in the chamber. Do not load the snapcap from a magazine. Do the tap / rack move and see if you can extract the snap cap from the gun.

CD24102F-2159-4519-86AC-1471DF31D991_zpsyd2guuyv.jpg

I thought the 11 + 1 magazine capacity on a compact and inexpensive handgun was a winner. Yes the older m10 round magazines can hold 11 rounds without modification. Don't know if new magazines are the same situation but that is what I have. But until the original extractor was redesigned I could never as a first choice use it as a self defense weapon until October of this year.

Back