• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Scope suggestions 16” Aramalite Rifle

Bathrobeman

.270 WIN
Hey fellas,
I was wondering if anyone had any “budget” friendly suggestions for a scope for flat top Armalite? I won’t be shooting at 500 yds or anything like that. The feeder is within 100 yds.

Thanks

You can also look into the vortex crossfire series which is well in your budget or the bushnell AR optics line. Primary arms has a decent budget scope line. I have one on my rifle with the ACSS reticle. Used it in a few defensive rifle classes. It works.

I’m actually saving up for the Vortex Razor Gen III. Not a budget optic.

Primary Arms makes some nice compact prism scopes in fixed power in your price range. Typically 2.5x or 3x.

Optics Planet normally has good prices and free shipping.

Regards

The Nikon scopes are excellent. I have the M308 BDC reticle on my long range bolt rifle. It’s good out to 600 yds so far. I don’t have any where to shoot that is longer than this anyway. From 100 to 200 yards it’s spot on. Nikon is getting out of the scope business and I think you can get some pretty good deals if this doesn’t bother you.

You can also look into the vortex crossfire series which is well in your budget or the bushnell AR optics line. Primary arms has a decent budget scope line. I have one on my rifle with the ACSS reticle. Used it in a few defensive rifle classes. It works.

I’m actually saving up for the Vortex Razor Gen III. Not a budget optic.
The Nikon scopes are excellent. I have the M308 BDC reticle on my long range bolt rifle. It’s good out to 600 yds so far. I don’t have any where to shoot that is longer than this anyway. From 100 to 200 yards it’s spot on. Nikon is getting out of the scope business and I think you can get some pretty good deals if this doesn’t bother you.

Thanks fellas.
Do either of y’all know what to look for as far as “eye relief” for an AR with a 16” barrel?
I hadn’t shot it yet but I feel a little “scrunched up” when it’s shouldered. I ordered a recoil pad to try to gain a little length of pull.

Attachments

• E1329961-893E-42AF-A101-631CCC65E370.jpeg
    E1329961-893E-42AF-A101-631CCC65E370.jpeg
    300.8 KB · Views: 10
Sorry Barhrobeman. I’ve never had a scope on my AR style rifle. For sure eye relief is a required consideration that you’ll need to work out. Looks like you have enough rail on top to play with. Also scope height vs proper cheek weld is the other consideration. That front sight post may be a problem. If you’re shooting varmits at 100 yards you don’t need much magnification. Maybe just a decent red dot?

Check out Nutnfancy’s “Best AR15 Scopes” on YouTube.

Last edited:

Typically, most folks don't put "hunting" scopes on ARs, especially given that most use them for personal (home) defense at short to medium ranges. Three types of sighting devices are normally used.

Optical Red Dots are very popular.

Compact Prism Scopes which are fixed power, normally up to 3x

Low Variable Power Optic which as the name say are variable power. Typically on ARs you use 1x to 6x scopes, nothing higher.

Your eye box (relief) with LVPO scope must be matched to the optic when derermining the scope mount and given the top rails can refine the adjustment to your sight requirements.

First step is determining your proper length of pull. Then if your going to use an adjustable power scope you must determine the proper eye box.

IMO, a 3x9 scope is not comparable with an AR.

Suggest you read some of the optic reviews on line. How you plan to use the weapon will determine what optic best meets your needs.

Regards

Typically, most folks don't put "hunting" scopes on ARs, especially given that most use them for personal (home) defense at short to medium ranges. Three types of sighting devices are normally used.

Low Variable Power Optic which as the name say are variable power. Typically on ARs you use 1x to 6x scopes, nothing higher.

Your eye box (relief) with LVPO scope must be matched to the optic when derermining the scope mount and given the top rails can refine the adjustment to your sight requirements.

First step is determining your proper length of pull. Then if your going to use an adjustable power scope you must determine the proper eye box.

Suggest you read some of the optic reviews on line. How you plan to use the weapon will determine what optic best meets your needs.

Regards

youre 100% correct. That front sight post is gonna cause issues with the optic. You probably should go the Red Dot Route. With my first AR I had a similar set up to yours. I bought an A2 rear sight and once dialed in I could hit a quarter at 100 yards off the bench. A decent red dot will run you your budget and will be versatile for the ranges you’re expecting to use it.

youre 100% correct. That front sight post is gonna cause issues with the optic. You probably should go the Red Dot Route. With my first AR I had a similar set up to yours. I bought an A2 rear sight and once dialed in I could hit a quarter at 100 yards off the bench. A decent red dot will run you your budget and will be versatile for the ranges you’re expecting to use it.
I have an Mbus for the rear. I was wondering about the front sight post being in the way prior to buying it. After some googling I decided to go ahead and get one with a front post. It seems like most report that the front sight “goes away” when looking through magnification.
https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/Mounting_a_scope_on_a_rifle_with_A2_front_sight_post_/128-706691/

https://www.thehighroad.org/index.p...-a-standard-scope-on-a-flat-top-upper.620064/
I’m going want some sort of magnification.
I found this “cheap” 3x prism scope that gets fair reviews. I think I’d have to remove my Mbus rear sight to use it though. It’s mounted as far back as it can go so I’d have to mount the optic in front of it. It seems like that’d place it too far forward to be useful. What do you think about this one?
https://www.amazon.com/Monstrum-S330P-3X-Prism-Scope/dp/B07R9S5G73

Regards
Is a 1-4x more comparable? Like a Bushnell 223, etc? It’s more of a “hunting style.”
https://www.bushnell.com/products/riflescopes/ar-optics/ar-optics-riflescope-1-4x24/

Barh, typically all you need to do is fold down your rear MBUS vice removing it. In fact, it a good idea to leave it on and aligned in case you have issues with your scope. Most mounts are high enough to clear a folded MBUS.

Most fixed magnification prism scopes typically have good eye relief, many up to three inches so not generally a problem.

You certainly can use a 1x4 scope but again check your eye relief once you've established your correct length of pull.

There's an old saying that you get what you pay for and IMO this really applies to scopes. If you can't find a "good & affordable" scope now I'd wait and save your money for something better. Fixed sights, once aligned are excellent. However, as an interim solution you might find an optical red dot excellent. Plus when you do get a scope you can mount the red dot either above or at an angle so you have both capabilities.

With an optical red dot you also have an option to add a fixed power magnifier.

Lots of good choices. It would be helpful for us trying to answer your questions to understand exactly how you invision using the weapon. Is it mainly for CQB or what?

Regards

Last edited:
One other factor is the scope tube size. The smaller the diameter the less off center eye focus angle you will have. For distance fix location shooting this will be less of a factor. However, for CQB it becomes a big issue. Typically if you have a choice a larger tube size will be best.

Edit: The point I was trying to illustrate probably best describe by comparing looking through a soda straw vice a paper towel tube. Eye angle greatly changes.

Regards

Last edited:
Barh, typically all you need to do is fold down your rear MBUS vice removing it. In fact, it a good idea to leave it on and aligned in case you have issues with your scope. Most mounts are high enough to clear a folded MBUS.

Most fixed magnification prism scopes typically have good eye relief, many up to three inches so not generally a problem.

You certainly can use a 1x4 scope but again check your eye relief once you've established your correct length of pull.

There's an old saying that you get what you pay for and IMO this really applies to scopes. If you can't find a "good & affordable" scope now I'd wait and save your money for something better. Fixed sights, once aligned are excellent. However, as an interim solution you might find an optical red dot excellent. Plus when you do get a scope you can mount the red dot either above or at an angle so you have both capabilities.

With an optical red dot you also have an option to add a fixed power magnifier.

Lots of good choices. It would be helpful for us trying to answer your questions to understand exactly how you invision using the weapon. Is it mainly for CQB or what?

Regards
I thought I listed the uses in the first post but maybe not.
The uses would be primarily “plinking around” and the occasional variant & hog hunt. The hog hunting would be primarily from a deer stand and the feeder is currently at about 80 yds.
If I bought this $100 3x I’m pretty sure the mount it comes with won’t clear the rear sight when it’s folded. So it’d either have to go in front of the bus more towards the center of the rail. If I wanted to mount the “red dot” as far back as it would go on the rail then the bus would prob have to be removed because it’s sitting on the last notch in the rail.
https://www.amazon.com/Monstrum-S330P-3X-Prism-Scope/dp/B07R9S5G73

Last edited:
Little late to the convo. I was using a Nikon P223, on a bull barrel AR that I built. I could shoot golf balls at 100 yards no problem, and the BDC was calibrated well enough I could hit them at 200 if I did my part right.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Back