1. Thank you Mossberg Owners for making us the greatest Gun forum on the planet.

Scope suggestions

Discussion in 'Mossberg Patriot Bolt Action' started by heymax, Dec 21, 2016.

1. Don Fischer

Don Fischer .410

I'm 71 yrs old and wear glass's. What I've found is that hunting the lower power's work better for me than higher power's. At the high power's when shooting at target's I tend to see to much of my own movement in them. That didn't happen years ago!
  2. CaddmannQ

CaddmannQ 12g Supporter

I'm just 62 but I have had bad eyes since I was 7. When target shooting I lay my entire body weight on top of that heavy gun, using two sandbags.

I could hit a deer okay with my 30-30 Mossberg & 3-9 Leupold, up to 100 yards. (If I had a bench or a tripod to shoot off of) but past that I need a more powerful gun and a stronger scope.

That being said, I'm a fisherman nowadays and I don't go hunting anymore. I go target shooting as often as possible.

But the only animals I've killed with a gun in 45 years have been ground squirrels, possums and gophers that were digging around in my yard.

Also I live in the suburbs. The Major Wildlife around here is our dogs cats and fish.
  3. Don Fischer

Don Fischer .410

I've been thinking about this and the deal with scope's, I think, is many people buy a scope thinking they'll soon become a long range shooter. Other's bought the idea than you can really see better with a huge variable, just not so. Lot of people have never in their life see an animal much over 200yds or less but arm themselves with a high power scope just in case they get that 500 yd shot they really aren't qualified to take! Most people will get shot's at well under 200yds and with a scope up to 4x they will get the widest field of view making picking up the target much easier. Even out to 300+ yds, a lower power scope give's you a better look at and animal. What some people seem to forget is our shooting target's have a much smaller zero point that say a deer!

I like to shoot to 500yds once in a while and, I did buy a scope just for that, 4 1/2x14x Nikon. Irony is I've never used it past 8x! The only advantage I see to it is the turret's, makes adjusting in the field much more do able.
  4. Rossignol

Rossignol The Original Sheriff Staff Member Global Moderator Sponsor Forum Moderator

Whatever. I run my 3-9 at 9 for 100 yard shots.