• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Scout & Patrol differences?

The scout has that really forward rail section and the patrol does not. That’s really about it. Just your preference whether or not you want a forward mounted scope with a long eye relief or no.

If considering the forward mounted rail with long eye relief scope try to test one out beforehand. I like Coopers basic principle of the scout, and had been fortunate enough to talk with him about it. But I never got on with LER scopes. The scout rifle weight, length, calibre are I think sound. The LER scope? Not so much for me or many shooters.

Wasn't the LER recommended so that clearing jams in the scout rifle and top loading was easier?

Last edited:
I have never heard of the LER being connected to clearing stoppages, though I can see the point, its not a strong one . Also, as one part of the scout recipe is an interchangeable magazine, top feeding should not be an issue. I think the principle was to encourage easy shouldering, sighting and mounting of the rifle. I never found it so and as said, never got on with them. I have wondered if the old German K98 LER used in WW2 was an influence. But, I have read a couple of books with recollections of WW2 German snipers, and they hated them. Much preferring a rear mounted scope.

I guess like many things, its what you prefer, what works best for you. Trial and error.

I have never heard of the LER being connected to clearing stoppages, though I can see the point, its not a strong one . Also, as one part of the scout recipe is an interchangeable magazine, top feeding should not be an issue. I think the principle was to encourage easy shouldering, sighting and mounting of the rifle. I never found it so and as said, never got on with them. I have wondered if the old German K98 LER used in WW2 was an influence. But, I have read a couple of books with recollections of WW2 German snipers, and they hated them. Much preferring a rear mounted scope.

I guess like many things, its what you prefer, what works best for you. Trial and error.

You are correct I keep forgetting the concept advocated a magazine accepting bolt action.

I did a modified scout configuration with one of my garands so every time I hear scout rifle I automatically think of my Garand scout project.

In the end I abandoned the idea and sold off the scout scope. Fine bench shooter but the overall balance was fubar when you shouldered it.

Weaver actually makes a fairly good fixed power scout scope... or they did. I think it was 4X and I have mounted on an Mosin M44 Scout project I built probably 10+ years back.
I've used the rifle to hunt and was satisfied with it's performance. Of course once I got passed seeing nothing but fireball for a second or 2 after you shoot! But it's an M44 and that is half the fun!

Back