• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Second Cleaning...

Paul605

Well I am in the process of the second cleaning of the JM Pro. As I suspected there was quite a bit of "stuff" dislodged in the first 50 rounds even though I did a through cleaning prior to firing the weapon.

Pulled it completely down and threw some Ed's Red in the ultrasonic cleaner...

Seeing some heavier factory lubes coming out, along with some very fine hard stuff. Likely some parkerizing that the first 50 rubbed off...

Took the time to pull the buffer group and round off the spring. Also cleaned the tube and components well.

Trigger group is spotless...albeit a little dry for my tastes. Remedied that, and since I clean often it will be fine if it is a little over-lubed.

Still impressed with the weapon.

I'm in the same phase as you are, and just gave it a super clean so I could start over with lube I like. The JM video said to run the gas system dry or was it dry lube? Kinda freaks me out. Will real lube just blow all over the place? I lubed the bolt like any other.

I was surprised to see the condensation under the spacer tube just like Or3gun says on their website...in dry AZ! It was soaked under there two hours after shooting. I will order their spacer tube soon. I used 2000grit sandpaper to remove the light carbon buildup, it left it nicely polished.

I'm in the same phase as you are, and just gave it a super clean so I could start over with lube I like. The JM video said to run the gas system dry or was it dry lube? Kinda freaks me out. Will real lube just blow all over the place? I lubed the bolt like any other.

I was surprised to see the condensation under the spacer tube just like Or3gun says on their website...in dry AZ! It was soaked under there two hours after shooting. I will order their spacer tube soon. I used 2000grit sandpaper to remove the light carbon buildup, it left it nicely polished.
...i didn't have any of the condensation show up, but there was just a bit of discoloration under the spacer on my first cleaning...perhaps from the factory testing...that said a quick wipe with some 000 steel wool made it bright...

...i put my piston back in with some dry lube...have seen various postings to include no lube at all...

...i will put up a post of the mods i will be doing to the weapon...have some ideas...and have to resist the "tacticool"...or maybe not...grin!

I do not have a JMP but my 930 was full of thick shipping grease. I failed to clean it properly at the beginning and suffered the result as it became a single shot on the skeet range when the tempts dropped below freezing. So endeth the lesson! LOL

Glad your gun is running good. I hope they have resolved many or the problems that haunted the early generation SPX models

I do not have a JMP but my 930 was full of thick shipping grease. I failed to clean it properly at the beginning and suffered the result as it became a single shot on the skeet range when the tempts dropped below freezing. So endeth the lesson! LOL

Glad your gun is running good. I hope they have resolved many or the problems that haunted the early generation SPX models
It would seem they did "fix" at least some of the problems. It is my intention to post my experiences with this weapon here, so that when somebody is making a purchase decision, and they come here to read like I did, they get the benefit of my experience too!

Glad to hear you like yours as I really like mine too. My 930 SPX BW has been a dream, must have a thousand rounds thru it now and not even a hiccup!

Back