• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Seeking advice for varmit lights on 18.5" 88 security

Bathrobeman

.270 WIN
hey y'all new guy here. I have the 18.5" Maverick 88 and I'm needing some advice on which varmit light go get and how to mount it. I looked on Maverick88.com as well as combathunting.com, but I didn't really find what I was looking for. They had flashlights and mounts that were at a fair enough price, but they didn't have any w/ a green beam. Im looking for something like this. It doesn't have to be this one, but I don't want a light that costs more than the weapon.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01N...SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=varmint+light&psc=1
Do y'all have any suggestions? What's the most cost effective way of have a green light up and running on my weapon?
Thanks

I can help. Give me just a little bit and I’ll come back to this.

This is the light I ordered, except I use the red;

https://www.amazon.com/WindFire-Waterproof-Predator-Varmint-Pressure/dp/B01CDQCZ6K

It’s a good light. But the batteries suck. Invest in something like the olight 3.7 18650 rechargeable battery. Or olight also sells cr123 lithiums which work in the light also for I think about $6 for two. It takes two cr123s vs 1 3.7v 18650.

The light is bright enough to get to 100 yards clearly (with good batteries) and you can see eye shine beyond that.

For a light mount, I highly highly recommend CDM Gear.

https://www.cdmgear.com/lightmounts.html

I suggest email Scott or find CDM on Facebook and message him through the page. There are a few options to work with a maverick 88.

The other option is to use the mount included with the light but that’s like a last choice for me. I think it sticks out too far and is difficult to adjust to get the light to point where you would want to aim. But it could work to use indirect light for so you don’t point the brightest part of the beam right at the target. I’ve actually recently had a fox run as I moved my rifle to get on target. The fox looked right at my light and turned back in to the woods and I lost it.

If you don’t use the supplied mount with the light, you’ll also need a clamp for it. These are inexpensive on amazon. I got one for a 1” tube and it’s a tight fit but it also totally works.

Oh, another note;

The light you linked up- while inexpensive, I’ve had trouble with that style of light. The way it zooms and floods. It’s incredibly bright, zoomed in it’s a blinding spot beam. But, what happens, is something over time seems to loosen in such a way that the carriage for the batteries will bounce back and forth and the light will turn on and off intermittently. It’s happened to me with expensive lights and it’s happened with inexpensive lights. I’m not a fan of that style.

This is the light I ordered, except I use the red;

https://www.amazon.com/WindFire-Waterproof-Predator-Varmint-Pressure/dp/B01CDQCZ6K

It’s a good light. But the batteries suck. Invest in something like the olight 3.7 18650 rechargeable battery. Or olight also sells cr123 lithiums which work in the light also for I think about $6 for two. It takes two cr123s vs 1 3.7v 18650.

The light is bright enough to get to 100 yards clearly (with good batteries) and you can see eye shine beyond that.

For a light mount, I highly highly recommend CDM Gear.

https://www.cdmgear.com/lightmounts.html

I suggest email Scott or find CDM on Facebook and message him through the page. There are a few options to work with a maverick 88.

The other option is to use the mount included with the light but that’s like a last choice for me. I think it sticks out too far and is difficult to adjust to get the light to point where you would want to aim. But it could work to use indirect light for so you don’t point the brightest part of the beam right at the target. I’ve actually recently had a fox run as I moved my rifle to get on target. The fox looked right at my light and turned back in to the woods and I lost it.

If you don’t use the supplied mount with the light, you’ll also need a clamp for it. These are inexpensive on amazon. I got one for a 1” tube and it’s a tight fit but it also totally works.
Thanks man. So I want the light that you linked and some olight rechargeable batteries? How do you like the red? I've only used green, have you used a green light before? If so, is red the better choice?
Also, is it possible to fix my screen name? When I was signing up I meant to type Bathrobeman, but I guess I had a typo.
Thanks again
Mike

Oh, another note;

The light you linked up- while inexpensive, I’ve had trouble with that style of light. The way it zooms and floods. It’s incredibly bright, zoomed in it’s a blinding spot beam. But, what happens, is something over time seems to loosen in such a way that the carriage for the batteries will bounce back and forth and the light will turn on and off intermittently. It’s happened to me with expensive lights and it’s happened with inexpensive lights. I’m not a fan of that style.
One more question: Does this mount from cdm look it'll be "plug and play?"
"The MTC is the latest offering in the MT series of clamps for 1" lights giving you more for your money. This 2oz. clamp fits in a 1/2" of space so it is perfect for the Mossberg 590A1 and just about any other shotgun with a 25mm magazine tube and room to mount it. This mount can be positioned 2 ways, left or right, and provides a solid "lock up" around the mag tube. Each position allows for a sling to be used with the included sling mount/hand stop. Additionally there is provision for a QD push button sling swivel. Manufacturered from aircraft grade aluminum and hard coat anodized it is a superior mounting solution for those with limited space or under the gun mounting requirements. One tool for one bolt is all that is needed to attach and remove the clamp or light in seconds. Fits Mossberg 590A1 Heavy Millspec Barrel and Ithaca Shotgun Magazine Tubes. Not meant for magazine extensions without a clamp.
FITS: Mossberg 500, 535, 590, 590A1. Not for use with heat shield without modification in some cases.Will not fit Nordic Components magazine tube. Will not fit Mossberg 590 Shockwave"

Attachments

• image.gif
    image.gif
    17.6 KB · Views: 0
I’ll come back to this as soon as I’m able but @ripjack13 may be able to help with changing the name.

As for the MTC mount, it might work. I’ll contact Scott and ask what he thinks.

The reason I’m not sure, is because the tube of the light is a very tight fit in the mount I’m using which is for a 1” tube. So I’ll ask what kind of play or tolerance is in the MTC.

But for me personally, I use a separate mount because I don’t keep the light on a single gun. Most of the time it’s on my rifle.

As soon as I hear back from Scott, I’ll update.

Scott says up to 1.032” so now I need to find my caliper micrometer thingy.

At what MAX range will you be shooting with a lighted shotgun?

Green lets you see blood. To trail with RED light is a big problem.

This is a good point and I’m grateful for any insight you can add here. I’ll add my experience and perspective to the question;

After the shot, the hunting is done. Red light off and the headlamp is on. So my white LED headlamp is my walking around light. The light I linked up will illuminate well beyond shotgun distance.

And something else I thought of, if you get the 3.7v olight, look for the one that comes with the olight magnetic charger. The charger is way better than the charger that comes with the light and it also charges the crappy factory batteries. Keep those for backup. The olight and charger set also has a couple battery cases.

The feeder is about 70 yds from the stand. I can hit out that far with slugs during the day, but I've never tried at night.
The last time I went out a pig came so close that I would've been able to hit it with buckshot but it was way to dark. All I could see was a silhouette and I was 99.8% sure it was a pig and not a calf but I didn't risk it. That's why I'm on the market for a light.

As for the MTC mount, it might work. I’ll contact Scott and ask what he thinks.

The reason I’m not sure, is because the tube of the light is a very tight fit in the mount I’m using which is for a 1” tube. So I’ll ask what kind of play or tolerance is in the MTC.

But for me personally, I use a separate mount because I don’t keep the light on a single gun. Most of the time it’s on my rifle.

As soon as I hear back from Scott, I’ll update.
I'll give the mount people a holler and see what they recommend.
Thanks man.

Back