1. Check out the Hot Deals section of the Marketplace forum to order an official Mossbergowners.com hat.

Seeking opinions on unconventional defensive shells

Discussion in 'Tactical And Home Defense' started by johncard, Jun 23, 2013.

1. johncard

johncard .410

2. GunnyGene

GunnyGene Racist old man BANNED

3. johncard

johncard .410

Thanks, but as Cabela's doesn't carry those, they don't help me at the moment. I'm trying to evaluate the two linked products, and the shell you pointed me two is apparently of a totally different type.
  4. oli700

oli700 12g Supporter "Philanthropist"

pdx1 are not a gimmick. They are a deadly choice in defensive ammo as it pertains to HD.....as you move to a different environment or ask it to do something like hunting, there are better choices

FYI, your links are both for the Herters
    mingaa likes this.
  5. johncard

johncard .410

mingaa likes this.
  6. Tom396

Tom396 .30-06

I like the PDX1. I've patterned a few of them at HD range. I liked what I saw. Take care. Tom Worthington
  7. NYmossyMike

NYmossyMike .270 WIN

I really like the PDX1. My buddy suggested it when we were discussing slug vs buck for HD purposes. He shot some at the range and said it was excellent with tight patterning.
  8. jgwills

jgwills 20g

I've got a few PDX shells in my tube right now. They patterned fairly well at typical HD distances from my 18.5 inch cyl bore bbl.

I've also got some of the Brenneke reduced recoil "tactical" home defender slugs. I've only shot a few of those and seemed also accurate but I liked the PDX concept of having the 3 extra buck balls in the mix. Truth be told with well placed shots over the vitals either of the two will get the job done at indoor ranges.

Just get the PDX if thats all they had and be done with it then.

Good luck.
  9. adamsredlines

adamsredlines .22LR

I progress my shells.
    (in firing order, not load order)
    Start with 5x 00 buck
    2x Herters Double Defense (6 00 buck and 1 round ball)
    2x Herters Double Ball(2 round balls)
  10. Tony617!

Tony617! .270 WIN

I bought a couple of boxes of the 12 gauge Winchester segmenting slugs when I went to Cabela's in Tulalip, WA. They shoot fine from my 18.5" shotgun. I use 00 buckshot for HD but I bought some slugs for those "Just in case" scenarios which will hopefully never happen.
  11. KeithTexas

KeithTexas .410

I actually like the Herter's buck and ball.

Just gotta realize that pumpkin ball will take off a leg or punch a hole straight through 2 or 3 bad guys.

Shooting it and seeing the penetration really gives you the feeling of "holy shiite!"
  12. mbshop

mbshop .270 WIN

I guess I missed this post. But I find the pdx round to be a gimmick only. And a terrible hd round.
  13. NYmossyMike

NYmossyMike .270 WIN

How so?
  14. Water Monkey

Water Monkey The man, the myth, the monkey Moderator Supporter

I've shot the PDX out to 50 yards. The slug is fairly accurate and some buck land on target.... some lol.
    mingaa likes this.
  15. mingaa

mingaa Raconteur

50 yds and the slug is on target is good. IMHO PDX is bad ass for HD /SD depending on your environment. I use 9 pellet 00 buck and am in a stud of a brick plaster and lath home - the same as the whole city block. Just me and my wife. Worst case - something gets out a window or through a door but I do not let over penetration bother me. As we are set up i think the odds are in MY favor. As always (to others) YMMV!
  16. mingaa

mingaa Raconteur

That's a pretty strong assertion - let's hear the support material! :cool:
    oli700 likes this.
  17. Water Monkey

Water Monkey The man, the myth, the monkey Moderator Supporter

Unless I'm trying to shoot through something to get to you... for HD purposes 00 Buck is plenty fine. I have slugs on the side saddle JIC
  18. mbshop

mbshop .270 WIN

what are the buck rounds going to really do that the slug cant accomplish ? and shooting a slug in a house ? never.
  19. mingaa

mingaa Raconteur

SO — are you saying that you would never shoot buckshot OR a slug indoors?!
  20. mbshop

mbshop .270 WIN

no, one could never say that. but I would consider both a poor choice in most cases. the combination is worse and basically a gimmick to me.
    that being said, I would not have a problem if one so chooses to use it. not my business. I just use either #4 buck or #1 buck.