• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Seriously, this is the last one

^ Same reason why I never built a 6.5 Grendel.

Just so many better options for the distances that I shoot. I know a lot of people think I'm crazy when I say I rarely ever get to shoot over 100 yards, but it's totally true.

To be honest, I don't really even know why I have kept the 762x51 Fal. I guess just the possibility that I ever would need to I guess.

edit to add:

I love how that gun turned out.

Many of my rifles are overkill for the yardages I shoot.

I wont even try to rationalize, i just want/like to try some things.

A Barrett 50 is still on my list. Just because!

Well it's totally different for me guys, because I'm not a hunter and I'm not training for combat.

What am I looking for is a target rifle to shoot longer and longer distances, but I don't want something so uncommon it becomes prohibitively expensive.

This new move by the Army will make 6.5 and 6.8 more reasonable to buy & shoot.

224 Valkyrie is the next thing . Creedmore performance from a small frame .... other than the kinetics.
And already making factory FMJ for it , Federal

224 Valkyrie is the next thing . Creedmore performance from a small frame .... other than the kinetics.
And already making factory FMJ for it , Federal
I thought about venturing this direction, on just cause. Don't need it, can't justify it, I just like to build.

.224 valk sure sounds great on paper but if it's not going to be a commodity bullet it will be too expensive for me.

But when the Army switches over to Creedmoor they will get dirt cheap just like .223

But that 90 gn slug sounds attractive.

And expensive as hell.

I thought about venturing this direction, on just cause. Don't need it, can't justify it, I just like to build.
Clint Hanson tried to talk me into one when he gave me the 308 barrels . The more I read about it the more it sounds great.
.224 valk sure sounds great on paper but if it's not going to be a commodity bullet it will be too expensive for me.

But when the Army switches over to Creedmoor they will get dirt cheap just like .223

But that 90 gn slug sounds attractive.

And expensive as hell.

this is a maybe and if it happens to make them cheaper it still wont be cheap. your 223 bolt action will do what your asking if you do your part. If you want to just punch paper there are plenty of economical choices. Get a 6.5 if you want one but just because the military adopts it doesn't mean its going to get cheep overnight. The 308 has been in service FOREVER and the shittiest 3 moa ammo is 43 cents a round. If you get Creedmoor to 50 cents a round it wont be nice ammo . To get into decent 308 ammo its about 60 to over a dollar a round. If you want the militaries "precision " round in 308 it is not cheep......so your military justification .......is kind of a dream that might happen in 25 years.......and it will never, ever be cheap just like 223 ......another round in service since the 50's and "cheap" to the civilian in about the 80's, and it is shit ammo , 2 to 3 moa at best .

Last edited:
My major deterrent right now, is family time keeps me away from reloading, and shooting as much as I used to. If I could hit the reloading bench once a week still I would be all over it. As is, I've only sized about 50 .223 cases in the past year and a half.

Well yes Oli everything is relative. Compared to 50 BMG here everything is cheap.

Assuming I'm going to swedge and load my own cases, I think the .224 would be a reasonable cost to reload, and when I looked at the ballistics chart the performance seems phenomenal.

Even though I'm not tied to the small frame, and was in fact really looking forward to the large frame, this looks like a better deal than I had imagined actually.

Thank you Oli.

I’m hooked on the large frame right now . I like everything about it better .... but the weight and as long as it’s ballanced it’s not at all bad .

Anything that will make it strike fear in the hearts of the evil doers is a big Plus.

Oli, you know my Bday is coming up pretty soon, right? :gift:

Hey, I'm not above begging. And I promise not to ask for anything for Christmas :D

Well while I was dreaming about a valkyrie and a .22 magnum, I went out and bought it .45-70 Marlin lever gun.

It's really just a toy to make big expensive noises, but it is like almost every one of the guns I have bought in one respect: I chose those guns because they were a particularly good $ value at the time.

So I got this brand new Marlin Guide Gun with a checkered wood stock for $625 total, with tax, shipping, background check, fees and everything included.

The 45-70 has been on my 'just because' list for a long time.

Back