• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Shell caddy on stock

jumperjeff

Copper BB
Hi all,
Ok...my purposes are more of a HD/tactical application, but you guys are the experts on the speedy shell caddies...

Has anyone mounted a 4 or 6 shell caddy on the side of their stock or reciever? I've watched some amazingly fast weakhand reloads by competition shooters using belt hung caddies. I'm considering a gun mounted caddy, rather than a side saddle setup that requires one shell grab at a time.

I realize comp rules may not allow it, but what do you think of mounting a caddy to the right side stock or left side reciever (for righty shooter)? I can picture (psychomatically) awesome reload speed...am I missing something?

BTW, I'm considering this for a moss 930spx.

thanks,
Jeff

Well I don't know of any models for the 930, however, I do have the Mesa Tactical 6 shot saddle for my Mossberg 500. I think it is excellent and super handy! If there is a model for the 930 that gets good enough reviews, I would certainly purchase it.

Now, when you say "gun mounted caddy" what exactly do you mean?

I mean a caddy where you grab multiple shells at once...not a saddle where you grab one shell at a time. There are saddles for the 930, but I'm considering a caddy mod to be mounted on the gun.

Basically, the caddy allows you to scoop multiple rounds in to your hand with one grab and feed them into mag tube MUCH faster.

thanks,
Jeff

I have never seen one mounted to the shotgun but that is an interesting idea.....don’t know if recoil would jar them lose though

recoil popping a shell out is actually my biggest concern...maybe someone has tried this and can save me some trial and error. Also, I'm guessing that some caddies tend to have better retention than others...even if that may be a drawback for competition, it may be a benefit for HD/tactical apps. Any opionions on the retention of various brands would be helpful.

you might be on to something, although it seems someone would have done it if it was a sound idea....let us know if you come up with something.

jumperjeff,,,,,,maybe something along these lines,,,,,,

Attachments

• Uncle Mikes shell caddy.png
    Uncle Mikes shell caddy.png
    69.9 KB · Views: 198
Could be brilliant OR could be a reason that we're not seeing it (in competition). Now I'm curious!

oli700 said:
you the coolest dude on the net man

And look at that MANicure.

The caddy may work on the stock. But I am not sure about the speed. It seems to me the most efficient is belt to mag well. From the but stock I imagine more different movements to do the same thing.

Frank

Thinking the same thing Frank...might work but might not be faster. Also if you only take one out do the others rattle around in there, especially under recoil.......

oli700 said:
Thinking the same thing Frank...might work but might not be faster. Also if you only take one out do the others rattle around in there, especially under recoil.......
good point Oli.
might need some kind of follow up spring as the shells are taken out.

Back