• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Shell carriers

Hi!

Some help please. What do you folks use for speed loading? I guess they are called shell holders, caddies or speed loaders. They are made by Taccom, AP and others. They hold 2, 4 or 6 shells and are belt mounted. Gotta be better than a pocket!

You can tell I'm from the other side of The Pond and new to this :lol:

Thanks for any info

JohnG

Shell Holders/Saddles regularly go on the side of the receiver, opposite of the ejection port obviously :lol:
(4 - 8 shells) Application: Home Defense/Tactical

Caddies are usually placed on the belt.
(4 - 6 shells) Application: Hunting/Competition

Speed loaders are those like long tube things preloaded with shells and some require modification for use.
(5 - 8 shells I think) Application: Competition

I had a Mesa Tactical 6 shot side saddle and it was the best thing I had for a long time! Hope to get another soon! Hope I helped! :D

buckonz said:
'Ghost International' have just developed a shot shell caddy as well. They hold two pairs of shells at a time, but can be configured for a two shell pickup (further apart) or a four shell pickup (closer together).

http://www.ghostinternational.com/GB/pa ... index.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuCuxg1yZrs

Watched the video. Interesting, but violates one of the rules of shotgun fighting. Namely, unshouldering the weapon and taking it (and your eyes) off target to reload with your trigger finger hand. A side saddle on the receiver is better for that situation, imho. Now, if they could adapt that design for a side saddle, I might be interested.

An alternative, would be to carry the caddies on your left side (assuming your a righty) and transfer shells from the caddy to the side saddle or directly to the magazine using your left hand, thereby keeping the gun on target and ready to get off a quick shot.

Of course, all this assumes you're either a lousy shot with the first 7 or 8 rounds; or there are more zombies than rounds in the tube - in which case, you should consider a move to a better neighborhood. :D

The other thing in the video, is that the shooter stays standing in the same spot making a huge target of himself. He ought to be side stepping after each shot, or dropping to kneeling etc. to make himself a smaller or harder to hit target.

GunnyGene said:
buckonz said:
'Ghost International' have just developed a shot shell caddy as well. They hold two pairs of shells at a time, but can be configured for a two shell pickup (further apart) or a four shell pickup (closer together).

http://www.ghostinternational.com/GB/pa ... index.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuCuxg1yZrs

Watched the video. Interesting, but violates one of the rules of shotgun fighting. Namely, unshouldering the weapon and taking it (and your eyes) off target to reload with your trigger finger hand. A side saddle on the receiver is better for that situation, imho. Now, if they could adapt that design for a side saddle, I might be interested.

An alternative, would be to carry the caddies on your left side (assuming your a righty) and transfer shells from the caddy to the side saddle or directly to the magazine using your left hand, thereby keeping the gun on target and ready to get off a quick shot.

Of course, all this assumes you're either a lousy shot with the first 7 or 8 rounds; or there are more zombies than rounds in the tube - in which case, you should consider a move to a better neighborhood. :D

The other thing in the video, is that the shooter stays standing in the same spot making a huge target of himself. He ought to be side stepping after each shot, or dropping to kneeling etc. to make himself a smaller or harder to hit target.

Your making me wonder if we saw the same video. I saw a competition shooter reload a shotgun. From what I gather, this is a competition rig and not a HD/SHTF rig.

1d5d2c4cf1c0ae55d0d91aea6ab1abe5.jpg

I went with the EZ8 by Gunner Solutions, so far it is working for me, but I am only practicing with dummy rounds. Here is a stock photo I found online.

ez8 snip.PNG

Back