• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Shockwave Availability

Loosehead

.22LR
Hey folks,

I've had a Shockwave "on order" for almost 3 months now. I've read that they will not be available for 3-6 months from now. I'm in the market for one now if anyone knows of where one might find it...at a reasonable price...Or should I simply move on to something else?

Thanks!

If you have your mind set on getting one then keep searching, sooner or later supply will catch up with demand or one will surface in a pawn shop or your local gun store but shoot one before you buy if you can...Personally I had one for about a year and never got attached to it and traded mine in.
Also make sure to check your state`s regulations, even though the Fed says they`re legal, your state may not.

Unfortantly, this isn't the best time to buy given recent events. There are several available on Gun Broker but prices / bids are fairly high. It's a sellers market right now.

Agree with Elbert. If you can find a friend who has one or rent one at the range try it out before you buy. Folks seem to strongly like or dislike the shockwave. It also depends on your specific need. Mine is a work gun and carried daily. For others they seem to be range toys.

Might want to put an ad in the market place section. Someone might be thinking of selling.

Best of luck.

Regards

If you are interested in home defense, I'd respectfully suggest you consider something other than a Shockwave. They are difficult to shoot *accurately* and you don't want to be putting pellets where they don't belong. Stick with a home defense full sized shotgun, if that is your choice for home defense.

But, as it is, due to:

1) COVID
2) Civil unrest
3) Upcoming national election

Demand is super high, supplies are super low.....

If you are interested in home defense, I'd respectfully suggest you consider something other than a Shockwave. They are difficult to shoot *accurately* and you don't want to be putting pellets where they don't belong. Stick with a home defense full sized shotgun, if that is your choice for home defense.

But, as it is, due to:

1) COVID
2) Civil unrest
3) Upcoming national election

Demand is super high, supplies are super low.....

Fully understand! I have a Rem 870, but a little difficult for me these days to wield quickly and easily.

My prespective on a Shockwave.

Background: I bought a 12 gauge Shockwave when they first came out. To date I've put several hundred rounds through it ranging from birdshot to 3" Black Magic slugs. It's purpose is two fold. First, a work gun. We have black bears, cougars, coyotes and an array of small creatures. The shockwave rides on the tractor and goes into the woods when we're outside working. The second use is home and property defense. In my opinion, the shockwave is an excellent home defense weapon especially if you're clearing buildings or rooms. Its overall length is roughly the same as a person using a pistol to clear rooms (with their arms normally extended). Mine is equipped with a Streamlight TLR-1 HL, an Velcro shell holder, wrapped the birds head with grip tape, and I've reversed the forearm strap.

Myths

You can't aim a Shockwave - absolutely untrue. I use high carry in a threat situation with bead focused on the intended target or threat area. Simply raise the birdshead to align the target and take the aimed shoot. You can certainly "shoot from the hip" but it takes practice to profect a consistent aim/impact point. Many people initially find themselves shooting high and to the left but after a couple of hundred shots you're dead on.

The recoil is really harsh and can knock your teeth out. In fact, the birds head grip allows the recoil to travel down the forearm vice a shotgun with a pistol grip which focuses the recoil on your wrist. This recoil path also helps to minimize muzzle rise. Some folks are recoil sensitive but if you've use to 12 gauge shotguns or heavy rifles the recoil is certainly manageable. I'm an old guy and still shoot heavy slugs from an aimed position. Practice.

What ammunition you use is certainly situationally dependent. That said, certainly wouldn't recommend birdshot for home defense. Buckshot is probably the best choice for home defense and folks will debate whether 00 or #4 is best all day. Think the most important thing to remember is the spread. Buckshot spread is typically one inch per yard from the muzzle so in your house with an aimed shot over a 5 to 7 yard distance your not getting a lot of expansion. One thing I'd be careful of is using the newer "flite control" ammo for home defense. It's great for hunting birds or animals at distance but you really need some expansion in confined spaces.

Good luck on your search. I suspect this will improve in a couple of months.

Regards

Last edited:
OP, due to my state's regulations I can't just buy a "real" Shockwave, have to have 18 inch barrel (Mossberg does make them in that configuration). I ordered an 18" Shockwave a the end of June. Guy in store said it would likely be November before it was in store. It arrived in exactly three weeks. It may be a fluke and the 18 inch Shockwaves are not in demand, but you might want to ask around or try a different gun store. I ordered through a large chain, on the theory that Mossberg might be motivated to keep a large buyer happy and therefor give them the first shipments. I have no idea if that helped.

OP, due to my state's regulations I can't just buy a "real" Shockwave, have to have 18 inch barrel (Mossberg does make them in that configuration). I ordered an 18" Shockwave a the end of June. Guy in store said it would likely be November before it was in store. It arrived in exactly three weeks. It may be a fluke and the 18 inch Shockwaves are not in demand, but you might want to ask around or try a different gun store. I ordered through a large chain, on the theory that Mossberg might be motivated to keep a large buyer happy and therefor give them the first shipments. I have no idea if that helped.

It is helpful! Would you mind sharing the name of the chain with me. No problem in NC with the 14' barrel, but I would take the 18' as well.

I find that the Crimson Trace saddle laser allows for very good accuracy with my Shockwave, even when shooting from near the hip. That and the TL-Racker light makes it perfect for home defense.

^^^^ Not sure where you are, but I just saw a posting on another forum that a local Big 5 sporting goods store had the Maverick 88 combo on the shelf for the pre-Covid price of $299. Kind of like winning the lottery in this environment! Definitely nothing like that online, but you might try looking in out-of-the-way places. I guess the chain stores like Big 5 are not jacking prices up. Of course, most of them have no inventory either. You could always try getting one of them to order for you, only took three weeks for me.

Last edited:
Don't know where you live or what supply is like there. Pump actions are super hard to come by where I live. Finding anything at a pre-panic price is almost a miracle. Finding exactly what you want at a jacked-up price is not that easy. Finding exactly what you want at a pre-panic price? Good luck!

Skip the big box stores and try smaller stores out in the more rural areas. I know I picked up a Shockwave 20ga last Monday at a small hole in the wall gun/pawn shop when I was traveling though there for work for $299 brand new in the box. They had 2 of the 20ga and one Shock-n-Saws. Plus plenty of ammo.

Skip the big box stores and try smaller stores out in the more rural areas. I know I picked up a Shockwave 20ga last Monday at a small hole in the wall gun/pawn shop when I was traveling though there for work for $299 brand new in the box. They had 2 of the 20ga and one Shock-n-Saws. Plus plenty of ammo.

Great first post, Gen! :) Thanks for the info! Welcome Aboard! :)

Back