• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Shockwave HD: Capacity or Power?

Shockwave: 5+1 Full-Power or 6+1 Reduced Power?

• Full Power Always!

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • Reduced Power Is Sufficient, Give Me That Extra Round!

Votes: 4 44.4%

• Total voters
I dont believe "everyone" does insist. But the 00 is very commonly available and fairly well documented. I and many others echo your like of other buckshot rounds shooting a 20bore alot i like the #3 buck. But ive said before if i have no doubt im going to have to put an invader down now, no question its a slug center mass. I would love to see the gun rags and "professional writers" spend more time on preaching situational awareness and skills than metallurgy and penetration statistics designed to sell brand X.

I actually agree with you on that. I just try to let people be aware, if you are going to use 00buckshot it is most likely going to over penetrate.

As for the ammo I choose, my maverick is loaded with a federal slug, then federal #4 buck. And the side saddle is all slugs. People have it so backwards on shotgun ammo, they think foster slugs penetrate more, however they penetrate about 16” while 00buck penetrates 25”+.

Why does everyone insist on using 00buck? is it some old myth that somehow it's better because it penetrates 30" in ballistics gel? #1, or #4 provides very good penetration without going clean through the target, I've seen low recoil 00buck loads go CLEAN through a deer, so imagine a 120lb human home invader, or attacker You are going to have some holes in your walls, or a family member! Load with #1 buck, or #4 buck, I use federal's 34pellet #4 load for my maverick 88.

I like the Federal, their 00 is easier to come by here, I can find the #4 occasionaly but I`ve never found the #1.....would probably have to order that. Tulsa is not exactly the mecca for all things tactical shotguns and ammo. I live in the country so over penetration is not a concern.

102_9166.JPG

I like the Federal, their 00 is easier to come by here, I can find the #4 occasionaly but I`ve never found the #1.....would probably have to order that. Tulsa is not exactly the mecca for all things tactical shotguns and ammo. I live in the country so over penetration is not a concern.

View attachment 19572

I agree, I’m not against 00buck entirely as long as you’re aware.

But still, a #4 pellet lodged in a heart, or some sort of tissue is going to affect the target more than a 00 buck pellet lodged in your drywall haha.

But still, a #4 pellet lodged in a heart, or some sort of tissue is going to affect the target more than a 00 buck pellet lodged in your drywall haha.

Also, I agree. #4 buck was very hard to find, Cabela’s, academy, and four local gun stores and I was only able to find some Hornady specialty “coyote” #4 buck, so I ended up ordering some from budsguns.

Id not concur at all on that lodged projos are less effective especially if in a less than optimum placement, two holes bleed twice as much typically. Now expansion and energy dispersion perhaps another discussion.

I have been known to over-penetrate for a long time now.

No use changing ammo just because of that. ;)

Know your target and what is beyond. If it's just a wall, I can fix that in a day or two. A little plaster and some touch up paint, you'd never even notice when I am done. Beats having unwanted guests who wish me harm. Besides, I own my walls and am not going to lose out my security deposit.

As has been mentioned, and for the same reason as Djcala and Elbert also agree. I'm not worried about a wall. A through shot is going to cause the hydraulic system to fail much quicker. I know people who have lived with a piece of shrapnel and lead in them since the Korean war.

I have been known to over-penetrate for a long time now.

No use changing ammo just because of that. ;)

Know your target and what is beyond. If it's just a wall, I can fix that in a day or two. A little plaster and some touch up paint, you'd never even notice when I am done. Beats having unwanted guests who wish me harm. Besides, I own my walls and am not going to lose out my security deposit.

As has been mentioned, and for the same reason as Djcala and Elbert also agree. I'm not worried about a wall. A through shot is going to cause the hydraulic system to fail much quicker. I know people who have lived with a piece of shrapnel and lead in them since the Korean war.

Every ballistic expert I’ve ever heard has stated that energy dumped into the target is more effective than it being wasted going through.

If you really want good penetration, high pellet count, then #1 is the way to go, meets halfway between #4 and 00 haha.

Id not concur at all on that lodged projos are less effective especially if in a less than optimum placement, two holes bleed twice as much typically. Now expansion and energy dispersion perhaps another discussion.

As far as two holes bleeding twice as much, well, then there’s the debate of your average 9 pellet 00b load vs your average 27 pellet 4b load ;) 27 holes bleeds more than 9!

But a big entrance hole and bigger exit hole that is put through the right place is going to:

1. Stop you from sheer force even if on drugs-12 slugs are even used to stop 900lb polar bears, 1100 pound elk and moose and other large animals on the continent
2. Gonna make a mess both inside and out
3. Total penetration isn't exactly wasted energy. That's more of a personal goal for me.

You're welcome to use whatever shell and whatever load you want to use. I'm not going to argue differently. But if your ballistics expert you talk to cannot agree with what I wrote above, you need a better ballistics expert.

Back