• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Shockwave Issue - - Resolved

Ernst

.30-06
"Philanthropist"
First, let me thank all of you for allowing me to join the "Shockwave Asylum". The forum is excellent. By way of background, I've been shooting Mossberg pumps for 60 plus years without any major issues. In this old guy's opinion, Mossberg's quality and craftsmanship has remained consistent over the years. About two months ago I purchased a Shockwave as a work carry gun given we have black bears, mountain lions and bobcats around. While my initial impressions were good, the magazine was very hard to load and the gun would not cycle properly, especially on the second shell and beyond. Tried several ammo types (field loads, OO buck, slugs) and different brands to no avail. Field stripped the gun a couple of times and the problem appeared to be the elevator and possibly the cartridge stop. Subsequently contacted Mossberg and discussed these issues. They said that the parts were apparently out of spec and indicated there had been some issues lately. They promptly sent me a new cartridge stop, an interrupter, and an elevator assembly. Upon examining the replacement parts I noticed the elevator was very highly polished on the cartridge stop arm side and on the shell pickup's lower surface. The new parts have been installed and the original loading and feeding issues are resolved. Thanks to Mossberg for their assistance.

Just wanted to pass this info along to everyone since I've seen a couple of videos online where folks seem to be having difficulty loading their magazine. Dont know if anyone has had cycling issues but it appears the problem is the thickness of the elevator "arm" on the ejection port opening side. Polishing it to a high luster, which somewhat removes the uneven surfaces, seems to cure this issue. The original Shockwave cartridge stop also seemed a little "stiff" whereas the replacemenht appears to be more flexible; however, I think the original elevator assembly was the issue.

Overall, I've been very impressed with the Shockwave design. Previously carried a model 500 with an 18.5 inch barrel and 13 inch LOP outdoors daily on the tractors or when working in the woods. The Shockwave is an excellent substitute. Other than a sling my only add on has been grip tape to the handle which helps on wet surfaces. Regards to all!

Ernst, Welcome to Mossberg Owners from E TN.

We really appreciate that you took the time to pass along your story of identifying and solving your Shockwave issues. It is good to hear that Mossberg stepped in and supplied the proper parts to get it back in service.

license_20121027180427_80337.jpg

Welcome to the forum! Glad to hear you are getting the same great customer service from them that I am.

I sometimes have occasion to carry my Shockwave on a vehicle other than an automobile. Please share how you are carrying yours. I found the safety sometimes deactivated if slung across my back and the short barrel definitely makes me wary of muzzle up carry. I have been taking the shell out of the chamber during the off-road vehicle use and throwing the sling over my neck and laying it in my lap. How about you?

On my tractors I'm currently using a cheap scabbard which is strapped to the hand grips on the right fender. The scabbard sits basically parallel to my right leg at a 45 degree down angle so its easy to reach with my right hand. I'm currently using a cheap $20+ scabbard which is not adequate so I'm looking for something better if you have ideas. Would like something that covers everything but the grip. If I'm off the tractor I carry African style, muzzle down using a Super Sling 2+ which has a thumb loop single hand adjuster. I've used these slings on other guns with great success and really like the ability to one hand adjustment. Carring african style I can "mount" the gun in a single motion. I typically sight the shockwave vice shooting from the hip. Although shooting from the hip can certainly be effective if you practice enough.

Depending on what I'm doing dictates if I carry a round chambered or not. Typically on the tractors I carry the chamber empty with the safety off. However, when carrying in the woods I carry the weapon African style with a round chambered and the safety engaged. If working in the woods typically have the weapon within a few feet either laying on a log or hanging on a branch. Seems to work for me. Like most, I'm still learning with the Shockwave. Hope this somewhat answers your questions. Like i said if anyone can recommend an adequate scabbard I'd be intetested. Regards.

Welcome to our Mossberg Shockwave Forum Ernst and that you for sharing your info with us. Do you have any pics of your sling/scabbard that you can share with us?

Yeah. I have a tractor too, and I am very curious to see your scabbard set-up on the tractor. I tote a Taurus Judge most of the time on the tractor, loaded with .410, #6, and it is a hoot to draw and shoot at a field mouse as he runs away. All but one have lived to tell the tail of their grand encounter with me and my 1968 Ford 5000.

Guys, sorry this old guy doesn't have anything to take pictures with and if I did probably couldn't figure out how to post them. However, I'll try to provide an adequate word picture describing what items I'm currently using and links to each.

Sling - Outdoor Connections original Super Sling 2+ with Talon quick release swivels. It's 1.25 inches wide and has a one hand adjustment capability with thumb loop. Excellent quality. I'm also using this same sling on a Marlin 1895 Guide Gun and on a Mossberg 500. American made by company is in Waco, Texas. WWW.OutdoorConnections.com

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2...ection-super-sling-2-with-talon-swivels-nylon

Current scabbard I'm using is by Voodoo Tactical from LGS. For my application it is not adequate either in length or ability to securely fasten it to the tractor. I'm currently using two tiedown points. The scabbard is mounted on the inside of the tractor's (Kubota) right fender and sits at a 45 degree angle with the ground. The upper end of the scabbard is strapped to the fender hand grip and the lower end is tied to the foot board. While it holds the Shockwave secure it is not long enough to cover the trigger guard plus I would need to incorporate more the down points to keep it from bouncing around. Since I'm not happy with this scabbard I've basically used it only on a temporary basis. Plus not much tractor work this winter the rain and snow. I'm currently searching for a different model which has atleast 23 inches of inside depth. My goal is having only about 3 to 4 inches of the grip exposed. Today, I found a potential replacement, see second link below.

Current Scabbard

https://www.voodootactical.net/voodoo-tactical-20-8916-breacher-s-shotgun-scabbard.html

Potential Replacement Scabbard

https://www.amazon.com/Fox-Outdoor-Products-Tactical-Scabbard/dp/B00GKUF12G?th=1

Has anyone used this Fox Outdoor model? The reviews online are pretty good but it's hard to know the quality of the product from just looking at online pictures. The things I really like are multi fasten points plus that the bottom folds to shorten the inside length. From the measurements 29 x 10 it appears you could either completely enclose the Shockwave for travel or with the end folded have only the grip exposed when neeed. Plus the price isn't bad as compared to the expensive Beez model.

Hope this addresses the questions from Kalashinkitty and Rico. If you need more details let me know. Regards.

Here are some of the pix of Ernst's links:
The Outdoor Connection Super Sling 2+
123559.jpg

Current Scabbard
Voodoo Tactical 20-8916 Breacher's Shotgun Scabbard
HIIuduw465Xx5zyxbWRGyjHslGilOvRj-24.jpg

Potential Replacement Scabbard
Fox Outdoor Products Tactical Assault Rifle Scabbard
51ZCcj-ffGL._SY355_.jpg

[@Ernst - If these are wrong let me know and I'll find the right ones or remove them.]

Ernst, I'm thinking a deeper scabbard with a top flap might help keep the dust off the Shockwave.

Back