• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Shockwave Polymer Heat Shield for Shockwave and "mods"

I was asked, so I will post photos, as there was some work needed to make a claimed custom fit actually fit. The need for a heat shield is to avoid burning my wife's hands when she reloads her Shockwave, so both "his" and "hers" get all the same accessories, so they match and are interchangable save for a silver stainless-steel screw on the safety of "hers" vs a black anodized screw on "his".

First, an overall photo showing the heat shield:
PXL_20211113_042418797.jpg

Looks simple, and is simple. But getting there took some fiddling.
First the thicker barrel of the shockwave is not accounted for in the design, so one needs to take a small rat-tail file and elongate the holes in the under-barrel clamp, so that the screws will align with the threaded brass inserts in the main part of the heat shield:
PXL_20211119_225142620.PORTRAIT.jpg

Above, you can see that a bit more filing is required, as the rightmost screw is clearly not parallel to the left one.

You'll also need some 1/2-inch long screws to replace the 1/4-inch #8-32 screws that come with the heat shield, as the shorter screws are for the thinner barrel of another 500/590 shotgun.

Once you get the screws to go in parallel, you then notice that there is no way to align and afix the heat shield with the "top" of the barrel, which is important if you want to move the bead to the heat shield, as shown in the photo above. One assumes that recoil would twist the heat shield over time, and the bead sight with it, so "drill we must".

A #5-40 1/8th inch set screw, a 1/8-inch drill, a 1/16-inch drill, a #38 drill, and a #5-40 tap are required, as we are going to remove the bead sight, replace it with a #5-40 set screw that will protrude out like the bead sight did, and drill an indent in the inner surface of the heat shield to allow it to be aligned, and stay aligned.

PXL_20211119_222610408 (Medium).jpg

You'll need to measure carefully, but the correct location if you want the heat shield to come up to the front edge of the barrel is shown above - it is just forward of the slot that was apparently intended to fit around the bead sight, and would have kept the heat shield back a bit from the edge of the barrel. That confused circular area is the start of the indent hole. A 1/8th drill bit in a hand drill is the best choice here, so you don't go all the way through.

The set screw wants some Loc-Tite to keep it protruding above the barrel, rather than INTO the barrel, as the bead sight thread goes all the way through the barrel, of course. BIG SAFETY ISSUE HERE! You do not want anything protruding INTO the barrel, so pay careful attention to this, and do not fail to Loc-Tite!

Then you need to drill a hole for the bead sight with a 1/16th bit, and then the #38 bit, and then tap the hole with the 5-40 thread. The result is below:
PXL_20211119_224147449 (Medium).jpg

The bead sight screws right in, and one would want to use some Loc-Tite or superglue to keep the bead in place.

Only the frontmost clamp will go on, as the Shockwave's magazine cap is in the way of the more rearward of the two, but it seems to hold fine with just the one.

At some point I will cut, drill, and glue some spacers to go around the open threads on the screws, so that the screws are not over-tightened in error. (See the first photo for the exposed threads)

The bead sight in place on the heat shield is below:
PXL_20211119_224614775 (Medium).jpg
...and it aligns nicely with the laser-in a snapcap sight alignment tool, so it is "on-center", for those who have not yet learned the zen of "pointing" rather than "aiming" a shotgun, which obviates the need for a bead at all. But hey - it looks nicer that way - a single point of brass on an otherwise blacked-out weapon.

And yes, my ballcock shank nuts are ALSO solid brass, but you can't see them, as they are in my bag....
ballcockshanknutbag.jpg

Back