• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Shockwave Technologies Raptor Grip Review *FINAL UPDATE*

Nice work man!

I wouldnt have thought that about the innertube grip, but as soon as you mentioned an issue, I sorta thought thats where you were headed. Too bad, it looked pretty cool...

Thanks for the update here man!!!

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
Thanks for the update inline! Glad to see that it does the job well. So how's your thumb?

Ah its fine. I was kinda wondering if Id wake up with a sore wrist/forearm/thumb, if only from performing a movement that is unusual, like fire 12ga mag through a hand cannon. :lol: But its fine, matter of fact, i wanted to go shoot some more this morning but life gets in the way. :lol:

I guess I also forgot to mention, one of my younger brothers fired the mossberg twice, after he laughed at the raptor grip. :D He didnt say much at the time but later he did comment, that he was surprised how well it functioned.

I guess to give full disclosure, I should also admit, I shot it once, one handed pistol style. I survived but I wouldnt make a habit of that. :D

I guess from my standpoint, the mere fact I can work the action release, and safety, with no effort or thought put into it, that in and of itself, makes it superior to other pistol grips, add in the comfort aspect and a desire to have the weapon occupy as little space as possible, its a no brainer.

I just wish there was a way to make a box of ammo, last indefinitely....just keep reaching in, and grabbing more and more...someone should make an app for that. :D

Be nice wouldnt it? :D

Well fellas. I would say I noticed some minor awareness of my hand today. I wont use the word sore, cause that would give the wrong impression, and would not be a true statement, just say, awareness, like something happened yesterday, that doesnt normally. :D I did notice my hip was sore as hell, then I remembered, I did shoot a few with my hand against my hip bone, not on it, but against it.

I also didnt feel done with my little test yesterday, was a long drawn out seemingly busy day but I just had a nagging thought. Sure yesterday went great, I wrote a big nice post but something just didnt sit right with me. You know how you get a new toy, and you really want it to be everything you ever dreamed of, like the jacked up 4x4 you got when you were a kid, proved itself in the mud a couple times, then you spent most the summer just keeping it running? :lol: I finally get settled in the house, and decide screw it, I grabbed some shells. Mainly the 2 3/4" sporting loads, think four were high brass, three low, about all I remember, cause I staggered them, for NO REASON, and put one in my pocket, yeah, grabbed seven, why seven? Beats me. :lol: Headed out to my favorite spot in the world, set up some cans. Made sure I kept my hand off my hip. :) Took proper stance, and fired, watched the cans dance. I literally felt nothing unusual in my hand/wrist/forearm, than I had before I fired the first shot, even with a bandaid on my thumb covering my insta-blister I received yesterday. :lol: (I would show everyone but Id need a request for that, might weird some folks out but it would prove I dont exaggerate in what I say lol). Irregardless, I hit what I wanted, and despite the cloudy day, it felt sunny as I headed back to the house. I found my resolution and it answered the question I had all day long. At least for now, Im convinced, it works. I guess Im a pessimist, and just want to make sure Ive covered all bases before I accept something.

Another thought I had. This grip would be slick behind a .410. If .410 shells/ .410 shotguns were more affordable (hey we all know its cheaper to just get the 12ga), a .410 slug shell with this grip. Im thinking that would make for one slick universal HD gun for the whole family. Low low recoil and a person would wanna practice till the gun broke. :D

I have yet to try low recoil HD 12ga shells. They sound like a good idea. I just used 00 buckshot as the worse case scenario go too but dang the internet and all the people willing to type. I read an article about low recoil buckshot with flight control wads, Im sure most reading this article, read that too. But once I get my hands on some, Ill give it a whirl.

Man, I can respect and appreciate that you wanted a little more time before making the final decision on it. What you described I totally understand. Its been a good write up and experience, Thanks!

Heck, post the blister man! I posted a picture of my ankle I hacked into with a hatchet. The pic is at the hospital and it hadnt been stitched yet. I hit but didnt sever the artery, but you could clearly see when my heart beat cuz blood would pump out! Its cool man, post it! ;)

Ive never done a "review" before, wanted to be as honest as possible about it.

Cant say Ive ever had a wound down to the point you could see the artery pulse with each heartbeat, so this will seem pretty tame in that regard.

I cant get close photos with my digi cam, its an older Kodak, matter of fact its only 4MP, hell most phones have twice the megapixels now, but this camera takes decent photos at distance, close up, not so great, moral of the story, It serves its purpose and Im not ready to move on to bigger and better, so this is the best I could do. :D This is a shot of the two day old insta-blister. Seriously, ten mag shots with the rubber overlay, and bam. Skin hanging. lol. Photo doesnt look as bad as it did, I heal pretty fast but trust me, at the time, it stung with each shot, and looked way more annoying. I actually think it wasnt so much the rubber, as it was how the rubber changed the dimensions of the grip. It was just a wee bit too large for my hand. Had the grip retained its existing dimensions and had a simillar surface, it might be a good idea. Im actually thinking about adding the rubber to the center section of the grip, in such a was as to allow it to target my pinky, rink and middle finger, and allow my thumb room to move without resistance. Not that it needs it. For "oh chit" moments, the grip is fine as is in its as shipped form, but if you plan on using this in a wet environment or were perspiration might be higher than typical...then anything helps. But Im gonna save that for a later project, Im cool with it in original untouched form for now. Made a short barrel shotgun with a pistol grip, much more pleasant to use. I understand it would be easy to argue that a standard buttstock is all that is required, and could perform in a similar manner if shot from the waist, and that all these fancy buttsthocks with pistol grips or traditional pistol grip only stocks, are about as useless as putting a bow on a pig, but for my needs, I do like the fact the raptor grip is so short and it does benefit my intended use of. I highly doubt Ill ever buy another pistol grip only design for a mossberg shotgun, the raptor is the winner in my opinion. Like I said in the beginning, I just never was happy with a pistol grip only or pistol grip buttstock, folding, adjustable or otherwise, and the mossberg shotgun, now it feels like Im in control and management of the shotgun is natural, I dont have any annoying obstacles in the way. When I get those low recoil HD rounds, Im thinking this will be one slick setup, till then Im sure those 3" or 2 3/4" double mag loads will have a home. :D

Attachments

• 101_4701.jpg
    101_4701.jpg
    234.7 KB · Views: 409
Thats a respectable lookin blister dude! :D

I've enjoyed the review and your honesty through it! Cant rep you again yet..

LOL.

Its is man. :lol: Its one of those things that doesnt seem significant, till you have force continuously applied to it, then its annoying as can be.

Thanks.

I dont know if I mentioned this before, yeah, Im onery today, cant even read my own thread. :D

But I was watching a show on tv, they were talking about tactical shotguns....

Anyhow. They were talking about proper use of the old shotgun, and the instructor said that when a person aims, they should lay their thumb near the safety (on the mossberg) not around the stock as to grip.

That reminded me about the use of this raptor grip, and something I tried but quite frankly didnt wanna admit to it publicly. But a few times, when I was shooting the mossberg using the 3" turkey loads (few times, not the majority, not all) I would lay my thumb parallel to the safety, and Ill be honest with you, you had to be slightly more conscious about your opposing hands grip on the forearm, but the recoil, was nada, zip, zilch. Sure you hands and arms were slung back, but the recoil to the hand and forearm, was next to nothing, and control of the weapon, wasnt compromised, IMO, of course. Try that with a traditional pistol grip only buttstock. :lol:

I'm new to this forum (and Mossbergs). Just bought a Mossberg 3 in 1 combo with 18.5" barrel, 28" barrel, regular stock and pistol grip. My other shotgun is a Weatherby semi auto. I bought the Mossberg as a backup ...to use for Home Defense and to have a spare 28". I've got to say its a blast to shoot --especially after swapping out the Mossberg PG for the birdshead from Shockwave Technologies. The shockwave product fit perfectly (and even arrived ahead of schedule). As mentioned by someone else in this thread, the birdshead really is much more comfortable --to quickly pick up, swing into position and then fire. The discharge energy is absorbed more by my whole arm than just wrist. Much easier than the PG (imo). Anyway, for some strange reason I really like a pump shotgun more than semi auto. Just more to play with I guess. I'm definitely a Mossberg fan now.

welcome from NY. glad you are enjoying your new mossberg. a lot of people are liking the birds head grip over the pistol grip. like you said,takes up the kick better.
if you get a chance post up some pics. :)

I noticed the recent feedback on this thread...good to see other people enjoying the birdshead design or raptor as it were.

I still prefer it to the more common pistol grip configuration, and still not sure why manufacturers done use this style more.

But who cares, I have it on my gun, and it works. :lol:

Just glad I got my shotgun years ago, with the prices these things are going for today...sheesh. :lol:

p1499466042-4.jpg

p1499466086-4.jpg

p1499466158-4.jpg

p1499467298-4.jpg

p1499467372-4.jpg

p1499467416-4.jpg

p1499468068-4.jpg

p1499468774-4.jpg

I will try and shoot it this weekend...so far I am really liking the grip.

they say it absorbs the kick way better than the "pistol" grip.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUHAEvbf_I4[/youtube]
:D

Back