• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Shockwave Trigger Group

I've been having to sight low with the factory bead, so I figured I would have to use the center dot on the Big Dot. Thanks.
Did you get my PM?

Actually, no I didn't. I was just going to ask you about that. I haven't checked on a real computer yet this weekend, though. I've just been using my phone app. I'll send you a PM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With both eyes open, using center dot....it is crazy accurate.
I decided on Federal Premium, LE Tactical 00 Buck, 9 pellets, with Flight Control.
I started at 5 yards, simulating shooting at a snake (which we have several rattlers per year), I was dead on, blowing a 6" piece of 4X4 into small pieces.
Then I fired a target at 5 yards, center mass, which hit like a slug, 9 pellets and wad making one hole.
Then I fired from 10 yards, head shot, and all pellets on target, with the wad going off target.
I intend to back up to 12, 15 and 20 yards and will post pics later.
IMG_4668.JPG

With both eyes open, using center dot....it is crazy accurate.
I decided on Federal Premium, LE Tactical 00 Buck, 9 pellets, with Flight Control.

I used the same ammo and had the same experience. I love that FliteControl stuff. Being that accurate, with that little spread in shot translates to devastating wounds.

It also means it's very possible to miss your target at defensive distances. Which is why I choose to shoot while sighting down the barrel/bead rather than shooting from the hip. I tried hip shooting a few times for fun and completely missed the target paper a few times. Not a single pellet hit paper when I missed, even at 20 yards. The pellets don't even fully separate from the shot cup until 15-ish yards, based on the slo-mo video footage I've seen. It's great ammo, but you have to do your part. Gotta aim it.

Just noticed the King County Jail logo on your target. That's my neck of the woods!

I bought the targets on line. You live in some beautiful country. I live in the woods in rural Georgia. It's only beautiful to us locals. We like it that way. There are only 15,000 people in the entire county.

I shot some controlled flight in #1 Buck and it did not open until 40 yards!!
I found my hip shots were more accurate if I faced 90 degrees to my target.
Go figure.

I bought the targets on line. You live in some beautiful country.

Yep, I sure do. The woods are crowded for that reason, too. Which is why I own a vehicle that's capable of getting deeper into them than most are willing to travel:

8b036e9eed664bd061b76642246be27a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your picture is absolutely stunning....beautiful.
Here is a picture of my back yard. We live on 118 acres, and are surrounded by several thousand of mostly planted pines and row crop.
It can't compare to where you live though. Gotta love the great outdoors.
Dec 25 2016.JPG

DP, are you shooting slugs in bear country?

Yes, when I'm in Alaska. I don't hunt bears, but I ain't about to let one eat me, so I carry a 12-ga with slugs and bear repellent.

I carry Brenneke heavy magnums when I'm fishing in grizzly territory. I liked their Black Magic slugs, but those have been discontinued and are nearly impossible to find. I've switched to Green Lightning because they're easier to find. They're a hardened-lead slug with a magnum powder load, yet still use a 2 3/4" shell length. Being hardened lead, they will not expand or deform (much) when penetrating. Which is important when you need to reach deep into vital organs thru the wet fur of a grizzly.

I personally don't have much use for slugs down here in the lower 48 states. I'd probably use a rifle if I was a bear hunter. And I choose to use the Federal LE 00 Buck for home defense, instead of slugs.

That's interesting stuff. Are you looking to carry the scabbard on your back, and pull out the Shockwave the way Crocodile Dundee pulled his knife. It is a very good way to tote when hiking and fishing.
Here is the latest...nothing like recoil and the smell of gunpowder after lunch.
12, 15, 20 yards....top to bottom. I am very pleased with the Shockwave.
Shockwave 12 yards head, 15 yards head, and 20 yards center mass.JPG

That's interesting stuff. Are you looking to carry the scabbard on your back, and pull out the Shockwave the way Crocodile Dundee pulled his knife.

That's some good shootin' stuff, ain't it? Even at 20 yards, you've got 5 pellets that are practically still touching each other.

Yep. In a scabbard that's bungiee'd to an ATV, and then transferred to my back when I arrive at the river. With a canister of bear spray always on my belt. The bear's mannerisms and body language will help me decide which one I draw first.

I looked at Mare's Leg scabbards, but nothing will work.
Keep us posted on any more progress on your scabbard.

Does the Big Dot change the point of aim with the Shockwave, say out to 15 yards?

There have been several videos where the shooter in the video says the Shockwave is shooting high. You have said you have had this same problem. Some have said installing the Big Dot helps to bring the Shockwave back on target. Makes sense as the Big Dot is taller which will lower the point of impact. I believe the high hits with the stock brass bead are caused by the lack of a stock. The use of a stock allows for a good and low cheek weld that keeps the line of sight low above the receiver to the bead sight. This will give the correct point of impact for the shot. The Shockwave, with no stock, is sighted while holding the gun with straight arms away from the body and face to avoid high dental bills. I think shooters are not holding the rear of the Shockwave high enough to get the proper, low line of sight to the bead. Instead they are holding the rear of the Shockwave just a little low and this would put the impact high on the target when the bead is on target. Using the taller Big Dot lowers the muzzle for a better alignment to the target.

These are the changes I've already made, or will in the next few days. I installed the Mesa Tactical Telescoping stock adapter, and a Shockwave tube and blade. I installed the GGG AZ Side Saddle last night. I opted for the model without a single point sling mount since the Mesa Adapter had one already. The XS Big Dot tritium sight will be here Tuesday. I also have a GGG AZ pic rail light mount and an Inforce WML coming next week.

I opted to leave the safety alone, since I have always been trained to carry a shotgun in "cruiser carry" mode. (Hammer down on an empty chamber, safety off) then if I need to bring the weapon to bear, I simply rack it and go to work. Plus with the adapter and arm brace, it makes it very unwieldy to operate an safety.

Back